Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Gigabyte P55 UD3
i7 860
Nvidia 8600

Hi Tony

I have spent hours trying to get this to work with 10.6

I can boot from the CD and then install SL from the DVD
I then follow the instructions to the letter and then reboot the machine.

If the CD is not in the drive, the boot screen comes up. I press enter and it runs for a few seconds and then the computer reboots.

I have tried many combinations when I go back and re configure the installer.

When I boot with the CD, everything works, LAN, graphics and sound.

How come it boots evey time from the CD, but not from the hard disk.

Is there a simple step I am missing?

(as a test, I also installed SL on an ASUS P5KPL. I followed the same instructions and it all works perfectly. Boots without the CD in the drive and everything works) I had to download some drivers, but it all works)

So, I don't think I am missing a step with respect to the instructions, maybe I am not selecting the right options in the configuration of the bootloader?

any ideas?

Your help would be greatly appreciated

Alan

I'm no pro but I had a similar problem. It sounds like you don't have the proper kernel to boot up with installed. I went through this same problem. My advice to you and what I did was I stayed at 10.6, I never upgraded and installed the same mach_kernel Tony uses to boot the system. The mach_kernel can be found on his cd in the q000pz voodoo folder.

Since your i7 860 can boot using the vanilla kernel, you're best updating to 10.6.2, installing Chameleon to your hard drive and rebooting- this will allow your system to boot without the CD. :D

Thanks for the replies guys.

I followed your advice Tony and used 10.6.2 and I now have a system that works!
I really appreciate your quick reply and helpful advice.

Many thanks
Alan

I am having the same problem with my GA-P55M-UD2. I have installed 10.6 a half dozen times and followed the recommended DVD install to the letter. No matter what I try it seems to refuse to boot off my hard drive.

If I understand your recommendation correctly Tony..you are suggestion we update the 10.6 install to 10.6.2 and install Chameleon?

How does this fix the mac kernel issue?

Which version of Chameleon? What method?

Is it really so hard to follow these instructions?
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/12/ ... -from.html
Step 2 explains in full detail as to how to make your drive bootable and yes, it works.
Step 4 explains how to install 10.6.2 and again, it works.
Please read the entire instructions before you start complaining, please... o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back