Contribute
Register

Gigabyte HD 5770 Silent Cell hdmi/dvi/dp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great to hear and happy to help ;) If you find any clues to get HDMI running under the vervet framebuffer post your notes back here. Every little test gets us a little closer to a fully working card.

Any News about this Gigabyte 5770 Passiv ?
I have the Card since Today. Everything works fine, but no single HDMI Out.
DVI is stable ofcourse.

Sleep works fine, QE,CI too. I use the latest Kabyl r700 Booter on 10.6.6 @64Bit.

I need no Dual Displays, and when, i simply use the DisplayPort to DVI together with DVI Out. It works fine in this Way with 2 Displays and extended Desktop @1920x1080p
At the Moment i only need one Display and it works fine with a DVI to HDMI Cable.

Nice Card....I had random Black Screen Freezes with a Powercolor green 5750 so i switched to this 5770, no Problems so far, im Happy :)

Greetings

Thanks for all the tips, unfortunately I couldn't get it running.

Now I am looking at your option but I can't seem to find anything available to me (shipping) unless I pay roughly $100 which could basically get me a new card.

Do you think a Displayport > DVI Cable would work, or does the "active" part in the name actually mean anything?

Can you not get anything working or you can't get a particular port to work? I can tell you from my own experience that HDMI has been the bane of my existance since the New Year, but I'm typing this on the card with both the dvi and dp -> dvi working fine.

With regards the adapter situation... I can only say that everything I read said your chances of getting dp > dvi working without it being an active converter are slim (I know it's a requirement for eyefinity in Windows), but I have seen some people claiming it will work. I saw far more complaining that it didn't though so I stuck with the active adapter for my tests. Search around the general av forums through Google and you might find a better answer.

The other thing is just removing factors that can cause issues as you work through the osx graphics card mess. Most of what we want do do is possible with some good research going in, but if you start trying out untested combinations you're often blazing a trail. It can be fun if you have time and money, but it can also be a huge hassle and you can buy a lot of useless hardware. I speak from some experience ;) If you want a simpler install this card definitely makes you choose between the silence and the simpler setup of a reference Nvidia or Ati card. In the end I chose silence over hdmi (although it appears to be a bit of a PITA on a reference card as well in some cases).

BTW it looks like Newegg is still selling on the adapter I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999030. Are you not in the US? Looks like Powercolor has one about the same price and I believe HP made a popular one as well.

Good luck.

I have DVI working no probs, and my hdmi port mirrors the dvi, and it seems impossible to get the other monitor recognized through hdmi for dual monitors.

I too needed to prioritize silence over functionality this time unfortunately and since I am in Sweden, nothing except a mysterious cable with no specs seems available to me.

I going to pick up the cable in question anyway and try it out, will let you know if it works.
Also, my displays are only running 1920x1080 which means single link dvi would suffice, and if I have understood things correctly might have a higher chance of running.

Anyway, i'm off to pick up the cable...

Edit: Well, that didn't work, there doesn't seem to be any issues with the actual cable, but I get the exact same result as when using HDMI, a mirrored screen of the DVI.
Someone earlier in the topic reported that both displayport and hdmi were reporting use of 0x400 through IoRegistryExplorer, which seems correct. Don't know what my next step is, but I guess I will continue trying to force things. If anyone has any pointers, do be afraid to throw em my direction :)

Edit 2: Still no success, have also tried the displayport and hdmi combo resulting in two black screens after apple boot screen. Is AnVAL causing this? Do I need to switch to Chameleon to get it runnning? Extracted the rom for the card from windows along with the DSDT, loaded with UseAtiROM yes option but does not seem to make any difference. Do i need to patch the DSDT or the rom if that even is a possibility?

Hate to be a noob, but i'm kind of new to Hackintosh. :oops:

Just to take a step back... are you just trying to get two monitors up and running, and if so do you really need HDMI in the mix? If you are just looking for a 2 monitor connection then I suggest going the DVI and DP -> DVI route that I ended up with. The good thing about this is it's all supported using the plain Vervet framebuffer so you won't be killing yourself right now with fighting the HDMI port.

I unfortunately haven't had any more luck than you with the HDMI port although as you probably read, early on I thought that using the Uakari framebuffer was giving me a DVI and HDMI display. False positive though as it never proved to be stable with static/snow intermittent on the screen every few seconds.

Wish I had better news, but I think you're on the right track at least for a good dual display.

PS - the tack I'm trying to get working now for >2 monitor support is 2 5770 cards in the same machine. No luck with that yet, but I have seen reports of 2 5770's running on the same machine, just no clear instructions on how to get that setup working and stable. I suspect dsdt edits are in my future somewhere ;)

I have an ASUS 8400GS silent. It worked OOB, though apparently some other 8400 cards are getting updated IDs and messing with drivers.

The Silent Cell 9800GT is popular also. Seems to work well for most, but there are problems too - do a search.

I'm thinking of replacing my dying 8800GT with the 5770 silent cell, would this be a bad idea?
I don't need HDMI and prefer a silent card in my already silent system.
Are the other reference 5770's hassle free? (working OOTB)

Thx

Ok, I got the 5770 Silen Cell but cannot even get the DVI->DVI to work.
Mac seems to load to the desktop but I cannot see it. I can however reboot or shutdwon via keyboard (hence I know it loads)
I'm using the latest Multibeast ATI Experimental Bootloader with GraphicsEnabler=yes and PCIRootUI=1 (since I don't use DSDT atm) but no luck
Verbose mode also shows "Device in slot: Slot-1" so maybe that has got something to do with it.
I tried different Framebuffers but again no luck.
I only need the DVI output (single monitor)

Any help appreciated lads

Thx in advance

UPDATE: Solved (PCIRootUID=1 edited in the wrong place in boot plist file)

Anyone try to update with the new native ati graphics? I have tried about 3 times and all ended with not being able to get any display even with iboot i ended up having to reformat all 3 times.. now am back to normal using the vervet framebuffer and ati experimental bootloader, have dvi and dp -> dvi.. I am not back up and running with all my apps installed and everything, a bit afraid to try again despite how easy it seems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back