Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASROCK H270M-itx/ac
CPU
i5-7600
Graphics
HD 630
Hello!

Second try for this post (see (1) below).
This is my second trial to buils a hackintosh. Last time was last year, and I ran into
drivers problems, I couldn't get a 4K display working. This time, it's another board
that was reported to work, so I bought one and tried again yesterday.
Basically it works. Not right out of the box, but it works.
The setup is as follows:
  • Gigabyte H370N Wifi, as the title says.
  • Enough memory. The strange thing is that it's written 16GB of the memory units,
and Mac's "about" says 16 GB. Anyway enough memory.
  • Power unit, something I bought in China some time ago. 160W, if I remember correctly.
  • 500 GB SSD.
The setup doesn't work as is. When using the Unibeast software as is, the system
installs, but constantly reboots when choosing the hard disk from second boot.
Somebody else had the same problem recently, so his experience greatly helped me.
I found a config file on another website which explains the success in booting with
the same Gigabyte board. So basically you have to:
  • Make a USB boot drive with Unibeast
  • Mount its EFI partition using clover configurator. For this you have to start clover
configurator, then find what seems to be your USB drive. And click Mount Partition
facing the boot USB. You will need to enter your mac's password at that time. By
the way, I'm doing this on a Mac. When you open EFI, you will find another EFI
folder. If you open it, there are 2 subfolders and a file. BOOT, CLOVER, and
Clover_install_log.txt. Open CLOVER, there is a file called config.plist. This is the
file you have to change. So again, I didn't edit it, I found it on another website.
- Once this is done, configure the BIOS and once it's done, you can plug the USB
boot driver and try to boot. From there, with the exception of a few details, it
should start more or less like a regular Mac.

Things to be careful about:
- The USB drive you use is important. I first used a cheap device in which case
Unibeast seems to run forever. I had it run for an hour and half without results,
so I started again with a device likely to be reliable, form a well known maker.
Unibeast finished after about 15 ~ 20 minutes.
By the way, if one of the Unibeast programmers reads this, it would be very good
to have some kind of progress bar in this program. The first time, with the cheap
(but otherwise perfectly working) USB, I didn't know if it was stuck or not. Maybe
I stopped close to the end, but I had no means to know where I was in the process.
- The USB didn't work at once. The first time, I configured "USB inject all" or
something like that from the Multibeast program. On the second try I checked all
the possible boxes and now it works.

Bugs / problems:
There are 2 problems to be solved.
- There are some display glitches. Sometimes the display "jumps" and becomes green
for a fraction of a second and then comes back to normal.
- Wifi doesn't work, but it's reported not to work. I have bought another wifi
module that I will install as soon as I get it and add to this report.

(1) I posted this yesterday, but for some reason I don't find it even from my profile.
I find only last year's posts. Maybe because there was an external link. Some forums
are quite sensitive about this. Sorry if it's the case, I just wanted to report and
possibly help others.

As a conclusion, this time it was quite easy, thanks all the programmers who made
this happen. I now have an almost fully workable machine (except wifi). This test was
as much as possible using resources of the net, without editing the config files,
so I suppose anybody can do it. Many thanks to the people who developed these tools!

That's about it for today!

Pascal

Last edited:
Could you get dual monitors working?

Hello!
I haven't tried the dual monitors. But I'm using a large 4K display, about 1.10 m in diagonal, so I don't feel the need
of using more. At least for the time being.
Pascal

Have you tried dual monitors yet? I still haven't been able to get this happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back