Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte B85M-D3H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GT 740
I currently have a Gigabyte GeForce GT 610 2GB DDR3 card running perfectly with Mountain Lion OOB.

I tried to install OSX Sierra the other day, (on another hard disk), and found that it didn't work. Looking around it seems that the GT610 is not compatible with Sierra.

Apparently the Gigabyte GeForce GT 710 2GB DDR3 is compatible OOB with Sierra, but does anyone know if it's also compatible OOB with Mountain Lion 10.8.5 (which would be ideal)?

Thanks!

I've seen that the EVGA GT 740 SC 4GB ddr3 is listed on here as compatible with Sierra, and as its Kepler architecture, it sounds like it might work OOB with Mountain Lion as well. Is there anyone that can confirm this?
It would be very appreciated:)

I've seen that the EVGA GT 740 SC 4GB ddr3 is listed on here as compatible with Sierra, and as its Kepler architecture, it sounds like it might work OOB with Mountain Lion as well. Is there anyone that can confirm this?
It would be very appreciated:)

From my understanding the GT740 DDR3 spec models are re-badged GT640 cards that do indeed work in Mountain Lion. That said it is best to buy from a reputable retailer that allows returns just in case you do have problems getting it running.

Other similar powered cards that also work and are available on the second hand market are the AMD 5770, 6850 & 6870. Avoid the XFX models as they often have a custom BIOS that does not work well with OS X.
The 5770 has a 6 pin PCIe power connection and requires a decent 450W PSU. Both the 6850 & 6870 have additional power connections and like a good quality 500W and above PSU.

For other options look at the older buying guides to see the recommended models:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...versions-of-os-x-using-older-chipsets.141225/

For an idea on the performance from these cards the following link is a handy reference tool:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-2016-hierarchy-chart-by-toms-hardware.81325/

Thanks so much for your help Adrian B!!!!
I checked the link older buyer guide / graphics cards and the first one listed was GeForce GT 740 (single slot).
So that's perfect, as it's also listed for Sierra as well in new buyer guide.
You are very kind:)

Here we go again:(.
I finally got the EVGA GT 740 SC 4GB DDR3 card installed. And it won't start up in Mountain Lion (already set GraphicsEnabler=No). I set -V startup mode, and it hangs at Bluetooth, says Bluetooth missing, which is correct, there is no bluetooth, but before it worked fine with Gigabyte GT610. However it will start OK (GT 740) if I set -X startup mode. I'm not really sure what to do now. I did see that in "About This Mac" the GT 740 is described as "Graphics NVIDIA Chip Model 4096 MB". Does anyone have any idea how to sort this out?

If it will only boot with -x (safe mode) or nv_disable=1 then it is a driver issue between the card and the version of OS X that you are using.
Booting with -v (Verbose mode) confirms a graphics issue when it stops at the 'Bluetooth controller missing' message. Safe mode and nv_disable=1 with disable the standard nvidia drivers from loading.

What to do next?
Confirm the version of OS X that you are using and the precise build number. Install the nvidia drivers (from nvidia) using the link below:
http://www.macvidcards.com/drivers.html

Do NOT install CUDA!
If these drivers do not work then I think that you will need a different card....

Good luck.

Hi Adrian, thanks you so much for your help!! I have OS X 10.8.5 (12F2560), is that "313.01.04f06"
(I would hate to install the wrong one)

I've been trying now for a while, but even with the web drivers,nothings changed. If there is a solution, I'll write it up here, thanks for your help anyway Adrian!

edt

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back