Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD7-TH - Thunderbolt 2.0 Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thunderbolt 1 + 2 are PCI based technologies. Maybe Apple made generell not Thunderbolt but PCI hot swap? So the solution it would be a PCI driver/device and not special Thundebolt and we are searching on the wrong place.
For example the Sonnet Expresscard 34 Thunderbolt adapter is compatible to every expresscard but the USB expresscards. The USB expresscards just work with the internal expresscard slots. This is because the internal expresscard slots are connected with USB technology and the Thunderbolt ports are connected with PCI technology.

... Just thinking...

Hi All

I just finished a recording studio build using the board. So far everything is work great including TB. I am using a TB to firewire adapter going to a Steinberg MR816x audio interface and I notice the boot time is 2mins 34 sec with the adapter attached and just 34 sec without it attached. Just wondering if anyone else encountered this.

@trinitec Finished my studio build myself and I have the same issue. Booting with attached thunderbolt devices hangs for a while. Aside from taking a while to boot, I have another issue. When Mavericks loads up and takes me to my desktop, the whole screen freezes (aside from mouse movement) for about 20 -30 seconds before I can click on things and get started.

On the other hand, aside from all the boot problems, and the fact that thunderbolt does NOT show up in system report, I have had repeated success in using all of my thunderbolt connected devices (RAID system, Apogee Symphony w/Thuderbridge)

Cheers

Hello,

I also have the Thunderbolt problems :(
everything else works pretty fine!
I would need the thunderbolt to connect my RME Fireface 800 (via apple Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt adapter) unfortunately I had no luck after following the guide with changing the Bios Thunderbolt settings and installing the drivers on the Windows 7 HDD.

Did anyone had luck with fixing the thunderbolt issue?

Does anybody have a suggestion how I can use my Firewire Soundcard now?
Maybe a PCI Firewire card or something like that?

Thanks

Hello,

I also have the Thunderbolt problems :(
everything else works pretty fine!
I would need the thunderbolt to connect my RME Fireface 800 (via apple Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt adapter) unfortunately I had no luck after following the guide with changing the Bios Thunderbolt settings and installing the drivers on the Windows 7 HDD.

Did anyone had luck with fixing the thunderbolt issue?

Does anybody have a suggestion how I can use my Firewire Soundcard now?
Maybe a PCI Firewire card or something like that?

Thanks

I just had a look at the manual and it appears that they eliminated the IEEE 1394a connector (firewire) that is on my Z77 board. Anyway, you can use a PCIe card. I can't find any recommendations on RME's site, but there is some info here:
http://www.sweetwater.com/forums/showthread.php?43402-Best-Firewire-PCI-for-RME-Fireface-800

Hi,

I'm using following FireWire 800 card with TI chipset in my current rig:
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/allegrofirewire800pcie.html

Works out of the box without any problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

I'm using following FireWire 800 card with TI chipset in my current rig:
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/allegrofirewire800pcie.html

Works out of the box without any problems.

I just spent a good portion of my life setting up a system with this board today and an R9 XFX graphics card. I'm using a 27" Apple Cinema Display...but nothing gets displayed at all. I'm a tad exhausted at the moment, so perhaps I'm not thinking clearly. LOL According to the POST LED readout on the motherboard, its reporting "AE" which the manual states is "Boot to Legacy OS" which sounds like its at the stage where its looking for an OS.

Because the R9 graphics card does not have a Mini Display Port on it, I'm using a "Display Port to Mini Display Port" adapter from StarTech. I actually have two of these adapters and neither of them lights up the screen. Is there something that I am missing here.

I know this is more basic troubleshooting, as I haven't even gotten to ANY OS installation at all yet, but I'm asking in case someone else who has set this board up knows where I am going wrong.

Major thanks!

~Maflagulator

Is there something that I am missing here.

Well Yes, possibly a great many things. For one have you tried connecting the display to the motherboard (thunderbolt/miniDP) ports? If i were you i would remove the R9 and just get everything working proper with the internal graphics first, then move on to that hurdle.

Also trying another display would be a good idea if you can get access to one, even a POS as long as it has a DVI port so you can just do basic testing that the card is working without the possible headaches of miniDP and conversions.

g\

Well Yes, possibly a great many things. For one have you tried connecting the display to the motherboard (thunderbolt/miniDP) ports? If i were you i would remove the R9 and just get everything working proper with the internal graphics first, then move on to that hurdle.

Also trying another display would be a good idea if you can get access to one, even a POS as long as it has a DVI port so you can just do basic testing that the card is working without the possible headaches of miniDP and conversions.

g\

I had tried connecting the ACD to the Thunderbolt ports, with no luck. The only HDMI monitor that I have in my 60" Sharp TV in the living room....AND IT WORKS connected to the R9 card.

At least we're getting somewhere now! Thanks for the mental assist!

~Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back