Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD7-TH - Thunderbolt 2.0 Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can add a little more information after just using the build with thunderbolt devices attached. For me it takes about an hour and a half for the clock, volume, spotlight etc to reappear. When they do they are functional like a normal Mac. If I click on the base system peripheral icon everything disappears again.

When thunderbolt devices are connected I have noticed applications freezing more frequently. Everything not just system apps. Finder, Mail, Chrome, Office, System Preferences. When I boot the system without any thunderbolt devices connected everything runs smoothly. No freezing and the clock/spotlight icons are visible and functional from the start.

Thanks for the information - after just completing another build with the Z87X-UD5 TH I'd thought I'd share some more findings.

I was running tests with the original build I did with Mavericks - and even though I would have the icons disappearing, I was able to run a Thunderbolt-equipped UAD Apollo audio interface at almost full load for over 24 hrs straight with no freezing, dropouts or anything. I do believe that as you described, the icons will reappear after some time.

Now the interesting thing is that the latest build I literally just did uses 10.8.5 - and everything so far is working great; no icons have disappeared. I haven't mustered up the courage to click on them to see what will happen though haha.

I currently have my TB-equipped Apollo running at near max load again, will keep it running overnight and will check back in with the results!

Hi all.
I'm a noob here but I just won't to check if someone else could verify this.
On my Z77UP5 TH I could see that osx 10.9.3 is loading a Apple thunderbolt AHCI driver on my Buffalo TH external hard drive. On my Z87UD5 TH osx is loading a generic driver for the same hard drive.
Why is it like this? Could this be the culprit for the slow boot and all the other problems named in this thread. And one more thing. If I connect my external display over thunderbolt i have no problems with the disappearing icon on desktop for the express card.

Anyone

Cheers.

So, did anyone have any luck solving the icon problem? :)

Hi, I've been reading this thread for a while now and decided to give this motherboard a try. This is my system:
Gigabyte Z87X-UD7 TH
i7-4770K
EVGA GTX 770 4GB
Crucial Ballistix tactical LP DDR3L-1600 32GB kit
TP-Link TL-WDN4800 Wireless dual band PCI Express Adapter
Syba firewire 400/800 PCI Express Card
Samsung SSD 840EVO 500GB
I first installed Windows 7 and did the Thunderbolt driver install to have thunderbolt working. After that, when I try to install Mavericks using UniBeast from the USB I get a bunch of code and the computer freezes, I'm attaching a picture of the screen.
I would really appreciate any help, I'm new to all this.
Thanks!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    631.2 KB · Views: 238
Never mind, I just had to search in the forum to find the answer. Had to type graphicsenabler=no -x maxmem=4096. Now everything (including Thunderbolt) is working great.

Never mind, I just had to search in the forum to find the answer. Had to type graphicsenabler=no -x maxmem=4096. Now everything (including Thunderbolt) is working great.

BRAVO to you for using the Search tool here in the forums to try & self-help to resolve your issues. THAT is the way you learn more about how all this works. It's not that people here aren't willing to help, but too often new users like yourself don't a) read all of the build instructions carefully, b) FOLLOW the build instructions carefully, so they c) start making whiney posts all over the place begging for some help...which more often than not leads to d) no responses, or responses that are a bit terse and suggest that, had you only done a search of the forum, you would have found multiple posts on this very same issue...as well as the subsequent answers.

Best wishes on the rest of your build!!
--B

Has anyone been testing or plan on testing Yosemite 10.10 on this board?

1) As per site rules there will be no public discussion of 10.10 until, at least, the public beta launches. As is it is still under NDA.
2) 10.10 is a cloud enabled OS. I don't think you would be interested. It probably has NSA code in it :) sorry i couldn't resist...

But in all seriousness, give it time, or look at some of the less restrictive forums. It will work when its officially released. 100% on that.

g\

1) As per site rules there will be no public discussion of 10.10 until, at least, the public beta launches. As is it is still under NDA.
2) 10.10 is a cloud enabled OS. I don't think you would be interested. It probably has NSA code in it :) sorry i couldn't resist...

But in all seriousness, give it time, or look at some of the less restrictive forums. It will work when its officially released. 100% on that.

g\

My apologies, I was unaware of that rule... Thank your for the insight. I know you gonna knock my marbles for being a conspiracy theorist, sorry for being that way... I don't mind the cloud for things that are not invasive, but contact lists and appointment times are one thing in my life I want kept private.

as for the mavericks update, I have updated successfully and it now syncs contacts separately and combines colander like I needed. I am really enjoying osx, very stable os... EXCEPT FOR SAFARI!!! What's up with safari crashing my entire machine?:banghead:

Anyone have thoughts on GA-Z97X-UD7 TH? My current board, the south bridge fan is make horrible noise.... Needed to rma it, I think GA-Z97X-UD7 TH is version 2...? Not sure

Anyone have thoughts on GA-Z97X-UD7 TH? My current board, the south bridge fan is make horrible noise.... Needed to rma it, I think GA-Z97X-UD7 TH is version 2...? Not sure

Can someone please explain me way the GA-Z97X-UD7 is just around $214.99 and the GA-Z87X-UD7 is around $500 ?
Is it because the chipset is brand new and there aren't early adaptors ?

But if this board is going to work OOB, than I guess it's now the moment to buy it because in several months when Intels 5th Gen will be released I guess the boards price will be going up, no ?

I have a Sonnet Echo Express SEII at the moment with ThundeBolt 2 and 2 Lynx AES16-50SRC inside it for audio communication between my MacBookPro Retina and my Midas Pro 2. But if this will work OOB I guess I gonna make a new Hackintiosh with this board and then the new Intel 5th core CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back