Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm working on a custom "pro" build. I already have all of the components but the video card (I'm actually waiting on an RMA replacement for the motherboard). I'm looking to get the ASUS GeForce GTX 660 (GTX660-DC2O-2GD5), as I can currently get a pretty good deal on it, but I've read that it doesn't provide native UEFI support. Is this true? Is this going to be a problem if I put it in this motherboard?

Are there any other general suggestions or words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance.

I'm working on a custom "pro" build. I already have all of the components but the video card (I'm actually waiting on an RMA replacement for the motherboard). I'm looking to get the ASUS GeForce GTX 660 (GTX660-DC2O-2GD5), as I can currently get a pretty good deal on it, but I've read that it doesn't provide native UEFI support. Is this true? Is this going to be a problem if I put it in this motherboard?

Are there any other general suggestions or words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance.

You'll be fine with the 660. Sorry to hear about your motherboard. Hope you get it returned soon!

You'll be fine with the 660. Sorry to hear about your motherboard. Hope you get it returned soon!

I assume you'll be using clover for UEFI. Anyways, if you turn off CSM, in the bios, you'll likely get a black screen until OSX boots. Additionally you won't be able to access your bios unless you have integrated graphics such as HD4000 and switch over to that port whilst booting. Anyways, there is a pretty easy fix. Just check with ASUS to see if they're providing a UEFI GOP update for your video card.

I have an EVGA 660 Ti myself. I emailed EVGA for the UEFI BIOS and they sent me some update firmware to apply. This worked, so I don't have a black screen when CSM is disabled. Further to that Clover displays in native graphics now, which looks a lot better.

Good luck.

I had not been planning on this. Is it required?

Is there a little more detailed guide on using the clover boot loader?

As for the UEFI update, I've read about some issues with updating video BIOS for ASUS cards in non-ASUS motherboard. I'll be using a GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD5H for my build.

Any additional input/guidance would be appreciated. If there are some guides already put together that apply to my build, that would be most helpful. New motherboard should arrive tomorrow, and I plan to put it together right away.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

The new build is put together, and everything is working fine. I did NOT have to use the clover boot loader. The ASUS GeForce GTX 660 worked out of the box.

I did need to make some additional BIOS adjustments I hadn't planned on, but at this point, everything seems to be working fine.

I'm going to put together a how to for this build, including post install mods that were made. I'll get it posted as soon as possible.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back