Graphics
Intel
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
After successfully installing this MB with a Ivy quad core processor and Mt L, I discovered that the Thunderbolt (TH) ports were not compatible with a new Apple Thunderbolt cable. Gigabyte tech support said that they did not try any Apple cables in their ports and thought that perhaps their port was not a standard size!!! The other possibility is that the ports were deformed in the manufacturing process. Has anyone else had any issues connecting TH cables to this MB? The tech support person also said that the port was only good for displays (which contradicts their website.) He is researching this problem and will get back to me. If you are planning to use the TH ports, I suggest you try it out with a standard TH cable before you install the board. If the ports are deformed, I will have to reinstall BIOs etc...If MT L is already on the drive, do I just duplicated the BIOs settings on the new board (assuming the ports will accept the TH cable)? I'll update this post as I find out more info.

Has anyone else had any issues connecting TH cables to this MB? Pls let me know, maybe I just need to order another board.

The only thing I would suggest is to look at the ports very carefully to make sure the little metal grounding tabs from the back plate are not getting in the way. The tabs should only be touching the top of the port housing but it's very easy to push the tabs through the back plate openings when installing your motherboard inside the case. If this happens they will partially cover the ports and no cables will fit.

The only thing I would suggest is to look at the ports very carefully to make sure the little metal grounding tabs from the back plate are not getting in the way. The tabs should only be touching the top of the port housing but it's very easy to push the tabs through the back plate openings when installing your motherboard inside the case. If this happens they will partially cover the ports and no cables will fit.

I agree with this, because mine works fine and I'm using the Apple TH cable.

I agree with this, because mine works fine and I'm using the Apple TH cable.

To third it. You for 100% fact have the metal IO shield INSIDE the TB port which is causing you not to be able to insert the cable.

I am having the same issue! http://db.tt/gQpYGKh2

So I am assuming that those metal tabs at the top need to actually be on the OUTSIDE of the IO sheild? So I need to remove my MB and seat it again into the IO shield properly?

No, the metal tabs do NOT have to be on the outside of the IO shield, what I did was take the MOBO out, and bend the metal tabs on the INSIDE of the IO shield up, this allowed me to insert the TH cable. (These tabs are facing in towards the MOBO, processor etc.)

Thank you for your help. I feel so stupid. Now I have to take apart my machine. This is the first time I have ever build a computer. I have oth Windows 8 and Mountain Lion 10.8.2 up and running... Almost everything seems fine... but this hahaha. Such a weird thing to go run with so many many possible things to go wrong.

Update: I took apart my computer and go the shield outside of the Thunderbolt port. Put it back together and everything is fine. Thank you so much for the help.

I had this problem as well and was able to fix it last night - great thread as usual!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back