Contribute
Register

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H or the new GA-Z87X-UD3H. Should I go Haswell and wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
First off, I know that Haswell isn't supported yet!

My question is this.. Should I get the i7 3770k with a GA-Z77X-UD5H (ivy bridge mobo), or the highest i5 or i7 with a new Series 8 board and wait it out until OSX has Haswell support. I mean... what are the chances of me getting a Series 8 board and it just NOT work at all with OSX? I'm afraid of getting one for that reason!

I'm getting OSX mainly for production using Logic Pro, amongst a few other things. I'll also be getting a GTX 760 (which is a PCI-e 3.0 card, something the old z77x is lagging behind with it's PCI-e 2.0 slot). I plan to do SLI with this as well for games in Windows. I also plan on overclocking the chip to around 4.2, or higher if I can get it stable.

What do you guys think? Should I play it safe and spend a tad bit more on an older Ivy Bridge set up, or gamble and get a new Haswell set up and pray that the board works? And if Haswell is your answer, which board should i go for? Hoping to get one for 150 or under. I'll be buying it at Micro Center, regardless of anything.

These parts will work, but we are not allowed to talk about them.

Aside from not being compatible which gigabyte and intel cpus will probs.

i7 for intense tasks like photo, video and audio
i5 for gaming, rather light.
i3 for office, and all those basic consumer stuff.

If you need now a pc buy now, if not then not. You won't any notice difference. I have Ivy and Haswell around here, so I can speak from experience.

Oh, we can't talk about it? Sorry, didn't know. I figured they should work and all, just didn't want to end up burned. I don't have the sort of money to end up having to buy a new board and cpu. I'll probably go Ivy. The reason for Haswell was so that I could get a Broadwell chip in a year or two without much effort, that's all! Thinking ahead.

i7 is probably my choice, but some DAWs (digital audio workstations) have problems with Hyper Threading, so I might end up not needing it at all, but I'll check more into logic and all. We'll see. Everything should be a-okay.

Last part, though. The two GTX 760's in SLI configuration will work in PCI-e 2.0, right? How much of a slowdown will I get, if any? Seeing as they're 3.0 cards. Juuuust making sure. My first hackintosh and first complete build.

... compatible which gigabyte and intel cpus will probs.
Curious, what does this mean? Unless you need a box today, there's no reason to buy a generation back, wait for Haswell and 1.8.5 / Mavericks.

That means that gigabyte and intel cpus will most likely be compatible with Mavericks.

And yeah thats what I said. If you need a computer now buy one now because the benefit of waiting will not be huge or may not exist at all. If you have the time wait the month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back