Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H no audio

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a hardware problem with the Z77X-UD5H_rev 1.0. OS X and Linux cannot turn the green port amp on. Black and orange ports work. Your IOReg says black, orange and SPDIFOut are working. What audio problem are you trying to solve?

It says my ports are working? I guess that just means that OSX is recognizing them as opposed to sending audio to them?

The problem I'm trying to solve is that I'm not getting audio out of the green (audio out), grey, black, or orange ports. That is to say, I'm not getting ANY audio at all. I remember this was a known problem a few months back when I built the computer, but some users had found solutions.

From a mechanical perspective I know everything is working since the audio works fine on the Windows side. But the lack of audio in OSX stems from a software problem that I think can be solved by installing the proper kexts. But (as advised) I skipped the audio steps in the MultiBeast installation to make setting up the audio easier later. As I said earlier, some users found solutions, but there wasn't really a guide for the laymen yet, so I've been waiting for others to pave the way first (this is my first Hack, so I'm very much a greenhorn at this).

So basically I'm trying to figure out how to get OSX to send audio to the ports. Apparently it recognizes that they are there, so that's at least a little bit of progress.

If you need any more information, I can supply it to the best of my ability.

So basically I'm trying to figure out how to get OSX to send audio to the ports. Apparently it recognizes that they are there, so that's at least a little bit of progress.
Try this:
1. F14 BIOS
2. Clean 10.8.2 install
3. Bootable System (MultiBeast/No Audio)
4. Restart
5. MultiBeast 5.1.3 or newer - Select/Drivers & Bootloaders/Drivers/Audio/Realtek ALC8xx/Without DSDT/ALC898
6. Restart.
7. See
II. Audio/Sound Verification in Post #1 of ML: MultiBeast - No Audio/Solutions and Problem Reporting
8. Verify audio

Reply with audio results and a copy of IOReg.

Thank you for the informative response. This looks like a decent amount of work, so I probably won't get around to doing it until the weekend. I'll make sure to report my findings, however.

Two questions:

1) Is a clean install 100% necessary?

2) I ask because I went through a somewhat lengthy process to move my /User directories to a different hard drive partition than what my OS is running on. I'd really rather not go through that process again, and I'm worried a fresh install would undo all of that work. Am I correct in assuming that a reinstall will just put everything on a single hard drive again?

That's my only real hesitation. Otherwise, I'll proceed with the instructions given above when I get the chance.

Thanks again for the help.

Two questions:

1) Is a clean install 100% necessary?

2) I ask because I went through a somewhat lengthy process to move my /User directories to a different hard drive partition than what my OS is running on. I'd really rather not go through that process again, and I'm worried a fresh install would undo all of that work. Am I correct in assuming that a reinstall will just put everything on a single hard drive again?
No need to touch your current installation. I suggest a separate 20 GB partition; carve it out of free disc space with Disk Utility. Do the install, make it bootable, install audio and verify. If it works then you know what to do on your real system. If it doesn't, you have a separate environment to test potential fixes. Finally, successful or not, you can remove the partition to reclaim the disc space or use it for other testing.

So I didn't know about the green port thing. I got mine to work after train EVERY audio kext in multi beast, then reinstalling until it worked, but it was broken audio at best and annoying as hell. After reading this, I:
-deleted ALL audio and HDA kexts
-reinstalled combo update for MBA
-used MB 5.3 to install 898 drivers
-plugged audio into BLACK port

Works beautifully now!
Thanks to all who provided input on this thread!!

Hi

Was checking this tread as had similar issue.

I have z77-UD5H MB, i7-2700k,

Was looking for long time to get Surround threw SPDiF and couldn't get front panel headphones working too.

By a chance i rebooted with headphones plugged in and name of the port changed from undefined to headphones and its working now just fine.

Same with optical SPDiF, got surround sound too but only by using XBMC player, any other player is just standard stereo.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back