Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R F5 Install Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
rabbit74 said:
Any additional information on where you got your DSDT from?

Mine works perfectly but doesn't sleep. It is my one lingering issue.

Nice post.

rabbit

I got the DSDT off my machine, and edited it by hand.

Thanks!

KosmoK said:
Can update to 10.6.3 insted of 10.6.2?

I updated fine to 10.6.3 but sleep crashes my computer, so I had to disable it. Everything else works fine (in fact, I'm writing this on the hackintosh.) I started a separate topic about it: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1022&start=0

This is my first post and I am fairly knowledagble about Hardware. I actually setup a UNIX Shell on the Windows NT 4.0 platform and mounted devices and ran Tar from tape drives back in the day. So I should be dangerous at this stuff. But I saw how slick these installers are so I am trying the easy way first...

I saw your guide and figured this would be easy so I went an bought the board because it says it supports the 6 Core, but I must have missed something. I read through a ton of posts and tryed a few different boot cd's from the lists on the forum you linked to.

Got the 6 gig Corsair Dominator series RAM 1600. And a GTX 260, i7 930 processor. I only installed 1 RAM module to be sure.

I actually have a second computer that I ran the Empire EFI boot disk on and goofed around sucessfully with MultiBeast, but when I installed Chameleon it freaked out my bios settings and resets the bios so I have to reconfig just to boot again. I took this drive out and put it into my GA-X58A-UD3R (F5 Bios Now) And it booted up fine, (ended up freaking out my BIOS on the GA-X58A one time though too) then ran MultiBeast again and used MacPro and it showed I had a Xeon, and showed my memory which on the Abit IP35 it didn't. It ran decent and found my Video Card and memory in it too. I want to reinstall though to make sure I don't have problems in the future. I mean I could always go back to my other computer but your guide seems so simple I am perplexed that I can't boot my Empire EFI or any of the Boot CD's I try.

I tryed the NVidia Boot CD and it goes too fast at the end to see the final error but says something about blacklisted kexts and then just goes to a black screen and the monitor light blinks.

Made a BootCD booted to screen and put in the Retail Purchased Copy of OSX 10.6, press F5 and then errors to the screen blinking.

Thanks for any suggestions and I really enjoy reading the forum and I think this is fun no matter how many walls I hit!

Ok I think these boards may not all be the same if you booted with no problems. That being said I took your original IBoot image posted on this thread and here is how I got it to work.

Go into the Bios and into Integrated Peripherals. Leave the first SATA listed to AHCI and disable all other devices including the Audio which only says AUTO. Just disable the Ethernet, USB 2 and 1 just to be sure, and also USB 3. Just flat out turn everything off. (oh and I used a PS/2 mouse and keyboard so you may have to leave USB1.0 on and it may still work)

This will save someone somewhere a couple hours with this Board. Only 1 Ram Module too because I never put the other back in.

As soon as you get past the install of OSX the first time where it gives the Error. As the computer REBOOTS for the first time from the IBoot CD to the Hard Drive make sure you get back into the BIOS before it boots the drive and turn everything back on, and it will find the Ethernet, Firewire, USB, and Doesn't find the Audio but I am sure the MultiBeast will enable it.

Also when I updated it only gave me an option for 10.6.3 so I downloaded it and ran the items for multibeast like you suggested, but I used the Restart Button on the Downloaded Successful bar and it then installed the package as it restarted. Is that normal or should I have used SHUTDOWN from the finder bar? Perhaps a clarification there would help.

This 10.6.3 Update didn't work and it tweaked my BIOS again defaulting it and I used Last Known Good Bios but it just kept rebooting and asking me to restart and never got back to OSX desktop. I will try without updating because I can't get around the 10.6.3 to follow your guide exactly.

Thanks for your guide, and I feel like I will get something stable soon and report back to help you with your guide!

MultiBeast is a cool Applet!

immapc said:
Ok I think these boards may not all be the same if you booted with no problems. That being said I took your original IBoot image posted on this thread and here is how I got it to work.

Go into the Bios and into Integrated Peripherals. Leave the first SATA listed to AHCI and disable all other devices including the Audio which only says AUTO. Just disable the Ethernet, USB 2 and 1 just to be sure, and also USB 3. Just flat out turn everything off. (oh and I used a PS/2 mouse and keyboard so you may have to leave USB1.0 on and it may still work)

This will save someone somewhere a couple hours with this Board. Only 1 Ram Module too because I never put the other back in.

As soon as you get past the install of OSX the first time where it gives the Error. As the computer REBOOTS for the first time from the IBoot CD to the Hard Drive make sure you get back into the BIOS before it boots the drive and turn everything back on, and it will find the Ethernet, Firewire, USB, and Doesn't find the Audio but I am sure the MultiBeast will enable it.

Also when I updated it only gave me an option for 10.6.3 so I downloaded it and ran the items for multibeast like you suggested, but I used the Restart Button on the Downloaded Successful bar and it then installed the package as it restarted. Is that normal or should I have used SHUTDOWN from the finder bar? Perhaps a clarification there would help.

This 10.6.3 Update didn't work and it tweaked my BIOS again defaulting it and I used Last Known Good Bios but it just kept rebooting and asking me to restart and never got back to OSX desktop. I will try without updating because I can't get around the 10.6.3 to follow your guide exactly.

Thanks for your guide, and I feel like I will get something stable soon and report back to help you with your guide!

MultiBeast is a cool Applet!
Cool. Good luck! I don't think the boards are that different - have you tried loading the performance settings as it's suggested? Flipping options around doesn't tell us what the rest of the options are - so it's not really something I can add to the guide unless you can list all settings in your BIOS. Of course, you are more than free to post your own stories!
Awesome about tar! Did you use it on the old 1970s PDP-11s? Those were great.

I was wondering if the Sata 6Gb/s works in osx with this method?

Mac OS doesn't support SATA III as far as I'm aware of.

You have some SSD's you want to raid? :)

wonslung said:
I was wondering if the Sata 6Gb/s works in osx with this method?

As far as I can tell, SATA works as fast as in Windows, but I don't have any speedy solid state disks around to benchmark.

No never used those, I used a UNIX Shell on an 486 intel computer running WinNT 4.0.

It says Azilia for audio [Auto/Disable] got it working with the Voodoo HD enabler in MultiBeast. This is different than the setting you used in MultiBeast too as I followed your guide initially. So I suspect there is a difference in the boards.

Not sure which DSDT to run as the list only says P55 and this is an X58A.

I had everything running in 10.6.0 so I decided to put the rest of the RAM in. Then I get Crashes Panics and all sorts of fun stuff. I downloaded Memtest86 and crashed it too with 3 sticks and 2 sticks. I am in the process of testing all 3 sticks in one at a time in DDR3_1 slot.

I am using DDR3 1600Mhz Corsair Dominator Modules. They have a Heat Sink. I changed to Standard and no Profile and it dropped the Mhz to 1066 instead of 1600. This Bios page I leave on auto or SPD except for Xtreme Memory Profile that made my ram goto 1600 and the performance enhance feature for [Standard/Turbo/Extreme]. I left on Standard, not trying to overclock or anything either.

My Bios List for Integrated Peripherals:
eXtreme Hard Drive (XHD) [Disabled/Enabled] When enabled it forces the next item down ICH Sata Control mode to [Raid XHD] and not configurable for AHCI if enabled.

ICH Sata Control Mode [IDE/Raid XHD/AHCI]

SATA Port 0-3 Native Mode [Enabled/Disabled]

USB 1.0 Controller [Enabled/Disabled]
USB 2.0 Controller [Enabled/Disabled]
USB Keyboard Function [Enabled/Disabled]
USB Mouse Function [Enabled/Disabled]
USB Storage Function [Enabled/Disabled]

Azalia Codec [Auto/Disabled]

Onboard H/W 1394 [Enabled/Disabled]
Onboard H/W LAN [Enabled/Disabled]

Green LAN [Enabled/Disabled]
Smart LAN [Press ENTER] Detection of Speed happens and cable length etc...

Onboard LAN1 Boot ROM [Enabled/Disabled]

Onboard USB 3.0 Controller [Enabled/Disabled]

eSATA Controller [Enabled/Disabled] if Enabled it has a Control Mode beneath it for selections of [IDE/AHCI/RAID]

GSATA 6_7 IDE Controller [Enabled/Disabled]
GSATA 6_7 Ctrl Mode [IDE/AHCI]
GSATA 6_7 IDE Firmware Selection [On Chip/Auto]

GSATA 8_9 IDE Controller [Enabled/Disabled]
GSATA 8_9 Ctrl Mode [IDE/AHCI/RAID IDE]

Hope this info ultimately helps with your guide...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back