Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R F5 Install Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot boot Mac partition from a hard drive.

I CAN boot Windows partition from a hard drive (when I set it active... i went with it back and forward few times).

This was tested 3 or 4 times with single (i thought that i can always install Win7 and fix the boot later) or dual boot (I killed whole day for that, thanks god I have a spring break... but instead of partying in San Diego, I'm doing this... :evil: ). I also tried Empire EFI CD to do the same thing... The result was the same... My system doesn't want to recognize Chameleon on Mac (first) partition...

At this point I'm tired of reinstalling the system... and will leave as it is until I find the solution how to fix Chameleon.

Thank you for your help... more help is apreciated :)

Grom, Here is my unedited dsdt.dsl file from my GA-X58A-UD3R.

Thanks. Doug D

Attachments

• dsdt.dsl
    203.6 KB · Views: 128
  • dsdt.dsl
    203.6 KB · Views: 159
Walnut said:
I CAN boot Windows partition from a hard drive (when I set it active... i went with it back and forward few times).
How are you setting it to active?

Walnut said:

This was tested 3 or 4 times with single (i thought that i can always install Win7 and fix the boot later) or dual boot (I killed whole day for that, thanks god I have a spring break... but instead of partying in San Diego, I'm doing this... :evil: ). I also tried Empire EFI CD to do the same thing... The result was the same... My system doesn't want to recognize Chameleon on Mac (first) partition...

At this point I'm tired of reinstalling the system... and will leave as it is until I find the solution how to fix Chameleon.

Thank you for your help... more help is apreciated :)

Can you list in specific what steps you are taking during your installation and setup? Also mention anything you're doing in BIOS as well as how you're setting partitions active.

Wonderful guide grom!
I wish there was a Gigabyte X58 board that had 1-2 open slots between dual slot GPU's :(

grom said:
Walnut said:

I'm using the "fdisk" steps from this manual:
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... -snow.html

As I said, I can change the boot partitions. If I choose first partition with EFI, the sytem will say that no bootable disk found.
If I set second partition to boot (with Mac), nothing will happen... like the system is booting forever... I guess the chameleon is booting forever... I left it that way for 15 minutes, and nothing happened.
If I choose third partition with Win7, Win7 will boot.

If I use iBoot disk to boot the system, iBoot Chameleon boots up and I can choose what ever partition I want to boot....

So, from that I guess, the issue is with the Chameleon on Mac Partition...

I'll try to research in post-Install forum.

Walnut said:
grom said:
Walnut said:

I'm using the "fdisk" steps from this manual:
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... -snow.html

As I said, I can change the boot partitions. If I choose first partition with EFI, the sytem will say that no bootable disk found.
If I set second partition to boot (with Mac), nothing will happen... like the system is booting forever... I guess the chameleon is booting forever... I left it that way for 15 minutes, and nothing happened.
If I choose third partition with Win7, Win7 will boot.

If I use iBoot disk to boot the system, iBoot Chameleon boots up and I can choose what ever partition I want to boot....

So, from that I guess, the issue is with the Chameleon on Mac Partition...

I'll try to research in post-Install forum.

I'm really sorry, but I can't understand what you mean. Are you choosing with fdisk or at startup? What partition is set to boot? How does it hang? It's all very confusing. English is not my first language either, so I know it can be annoying, but if you try and make it more clear then I may be able to help you.

grom said:
I'm really sorry, but I can't understand what you mean. Are you choosing with fdisk or at startup? What partition is set to boot? How does it hang? It's all very confusing. English is not my first language either, so I know it can be annoying, but if you try and make it more clear then I may be able to help you.

All wright... here's what it is...

When you start your computer it boots up from a disk.
If you have more then one disk, it will boot from a specific disk.
In unix (Mac is based on unix), Linux or old DOS (Win95 etc) the starting disk (or partition) can be chosen with fdisk command.

In my case, I want to do a dual boot with Win7 and Mac... So, my main disk is broken in 3 parts (partitions), 1 - EFI (created automatically by Tonymacx86 iBoot disk at the beginning), 2 - Mac OS X and 3 - Win7.

In your case, you have only two partitions, 1 - EFI and 2 - Mac OS X.

Some people have more partitions if they want to install Linux as well (or more then one flavor of Linux)...

Any way, it shouldn't matter how many partitions you have... when you load from Mac partition, it should start Chameleon boot loader, and Chameleon will show what other system a user has (if any), and it should give a user a chance to choose the system to start (by default it will start Mac Os).

Here's the problem... This boot loader doesn't want to start at all. Having two systems installed on my hard drive should not affect it at all, because one time I did the install with only Mac without Win7. Result was the same.

By the way, each OS has it's own boot loader. Mac has Chameleon. Windows has Windows loader, Linux and Unix usually use GRUB.

adamsmasher said:
Can you list in specific what steps you are taking during your installation and setup? Also mention anything you're doing in BIOS as well as how you're setting partitions active.

I put all my steps on the first page (second message from the bottom).

Pretty much, for creating a dual boot, I used steps from here:http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/dual-boot-windows-7-and-os-x-snow.html

and for installing Mac I used Grob's instructions with one suggested correction (to open Multibeast before opening 10.6.2 update).

Walnut said:
Any way, it shouldn't matter how many partitions you have...

It does matter - especially if you don't know what's in the boot sector of the disk you have selected with your BIOS. I think that could be your problem - having an invalid boot sector in one of your disks, since that's what loads up after the DMI configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back