Graphics
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
0. NOTE

This guide is a work in progress. All suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated. :D

1. INTRODUCTION
I started this guide to document the way I installed Mac OS X on a core i7 920-based Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R with an nVidia 9800GT. I hope someone else finds it useful.
This board has a Realtek ALC889 sound chip, Realtek RTL8111D LAN, intel south bridge and JMicron JMB362 for extra eSATA/USB. More information here:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Mot ... -X58A-UD3R
I had updated to the latest bios, F5, before starting the upgrade process.

DISCLAIMER: KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING! THIS GUIDE COULD SCREW UP YOUR COMPUTER TO THE POINT OF NEEDING TO THROW IT AWAY. BE CAREFUL, I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOUR COMPUTER EXPLODES AND KILLS YOUR CAT!

2. CHECK SATA CONNECTION
Make sure you have your SATA DVD drive and SATA target disk are connected to SATA ports 0 and 1. Otherwise, you'll get a "Still waiting for root device" error on SL install.

3. BURN IMAGE

Burn iBoot into a CD (has to be a CD.) This is what I used:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=197

MD5 (tonymacx86-iBoot.iso.zip) = 1e697d16994a03294e6217957c8add47
MD5 (tonymacx86-iBoot.iso) = fb4b1a802ae6c545cadae42ca711b35d

Burned it into a CD-RW using Disk Utility. Of course, you can burn it in any OS and into any CDs you have.

4. BIOS SETTINGS

Enter CMOS Setup. Press F11, then choose a profile and save your current CMOS settings, just in case. Then Load Optimized Defaults.
Integrated Peripherals -> ICH SATA Control Mode -> Set it to "AHCI"
Integrated Peripherals -> eSATA Ctrl Mode -> Set it to "AHCI"
Power Management -> HPET Mode -> Set to "64-bit mode"
Make sure your BIOS is set to boot from the CD.

5. BOOT iBOOT
Save and Exit Setup, Boot the CD. You'll see a screen like this one:

iboot1.jpg

Remove the CD, insert the Snow Leopard DVD. Press F5.
If the keyboard doesn't work, try another USB port, then reboot and start this step over. I used a PS/2 keyboard.

iboot2.jpg

Select the Snow Leopard DVD, then press ENTER.

6. INSTALL SNOW LEOPARD

installing.jpg

If all went well, you'll see the SL installer. Partition disks in GUID mode with Disk Utility, then install. Of course this will wipe your drives, so be careful!
Installation took me roughly 40 minutes; when the installation is done, you'll get the following installation error screen - disregard it.

installerror.jpg

7. CONFIGURE SNOW LEOPARD

iboot3.jpg

Boot iBoot again, but this time start the disk where you installed Snow Leopard. From there, setup OS X and get to the desktop.
You might need to connect your keyboard to USB for it to work if it's connected as PS/2.

thankyoup.jpg

8. UPDATE TO 10.6.2
Shutdown Mac OS X, boot iBoot again and start Snow Leopard just like in the previous step.
From the CD, run MultiBeast and leave it running in the background. Now update to 10.6.2 while MultiBeast is still open. I used:

MD5 (MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.2.dmg) = b7de521f7514fa410dd4aa279600f9ca

Once done, **DO NOT REBOOT** instead, continue with the next step.

9. MULTIBEAST

thebeast.jpg

Go back to the MultiBeast process you left open. Install the following:
  • Chamaleon 2.0 RC4[/*:m:l5zhzkkn]
  • smbios.plist iMac11,1[/*:m:l5zhzkkn]
  • com.apple.boot.plist - Standard[/*:m:l5zhzkkn]
  • Themes[/*:m:l5zhzkkn]
  • JMicronATA.kext[/*:m:l5zhzkkn]
  • NVEnabler[/*:m:l5zhzkkn]
  • RealtekR1000SL.kext[/*:m:l5zhzkkn]
  • FakeSMC[/*:m:l5zhzkkn]
  • LegacyHDA for ALC889 (needed for sound using DSDT)[/*:m:l5zhzkkn]

Once Multibeast is done, shutdown and reboot from the hard drive. Congratulations, you are now running 10.6.2!

10. DSDT
Get DSDT.aml from download/file.php?id=624 and copy it to /Extras. Reboot and you should have sound and your sleep function should work properly. Be careful, though - if your hardware differs from mine it could cause serious issues.

11. GENERAL TROUBLESHOOTING
If you are having problems with your sleep function or power management, get rid of NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and make sure you are using the proper DSDT.

12. EXTRA INFORMATION

Good day, lad...

I've got x58a-ud3r as well with i7 920, 6bg DDR3, Nvidia 9800 GTX+ (not sure for audio and lan, but it should be the same as your, since it is on board).

I've got an issue with step 8 and 9...

After installing an update to 10.6.2, I cannot start MultiBeast... It is using an installer, and in order to start MultiBeast, i need to close an 10.6.2 Update installer, and the only button that available there is "restart"...

If i still double click on MultiBeast, nothing happens...

What should i do?

Pavel.

Try opening MultiBeast before you open the 10.6.2 installer (and then leave it open while the 10.6.2 installer is running).

adamsmasher said:
Try opening MultiBeast before you open the 10.6.2 installer (and then leave it open while the 10.6.2 installer is running).
@Walnut: please let me know if this worked for you so I can edit my guide accordingly. Thanks!

grom: I will let you know within an hour. It should be enough for me to reinstall Mac Os.

Here's few other things... I'm trying to make a dual boot on 250gb hard drive with 100gb for Mac (partition 2) and 150gb for Win7 x64 (partition 3)...

I followed Tonymacx86's the GUIDE about dual boot... The problem I ran into that Chameleon doesn't want to get installed on the disk... I have to boot from iBoot CD to load the system. I guess it is because of some kind of issues with MultiBeast that it is now running correctelly...

Anyway, I will give it another try and will let you know what's going one...

Also, I found this like for DSDS on x58a-ud3r: http://www.kexts.com/view/311-ga-x58a-ud3r.html which was posted earlier this week.

PS. "Grom" in Russian means "thunder"...

Okey, here we go... (will update as I'm doing it).

GA-X58A-UD3R, i7 920, 6gb DDR3, Realtech ALC 889, LAN RTL8111D, NVidia 9800GTX+ 1GB.
WD 250GB SATA HardDrive, P3-Peoneer SATA DVD Burner... For the installation purposes I removed all other harddrives.

1. In Bios I put:
ICH SATA Control Mode -> Set it to "AHCI"
eSATA Ctrl Mode -> Set it to "AHCI"
HPET Mode -> Set to "64-bit mode"

2. Booted the System with iBoot (Universal), the one that still has MultiBeast.

3. Inserted Retail Mac Os 10.6.0
Pressed F5, chose Mac OS DVD Install, and within a minute got the the instalation window.

4. With Disk Utility Partitioned HD in two partitions, 100gb for Mac (first partiotion) and 150gb for Win7 (second partition)... Oh yeah... EFI will be first partition, so Mac will be second, and Win7 will be third...

5. Exited the Mac Install, and inserted Win7 (Prof x64) Installation Disk... Windows installer created 128mb of Unallocated Space between second and third partition... Hum... I guess it will be used for some kind of Boot files...
While Win7 is installing, I'll go make some coffee... Will take about 30-40 minutes...
Windows is installed... but for some reason only 4gb of RAM is visible out fo 6gb... even though it was 64bit system... I guess, I will have to read Bios manual about that...

6. Back to Grom's instructions.
Okey, now I'm rebooting the system on Tonymacx86-iBoot CD..., switching iBoot CD for Retail Mac OS 10.6.0... Choosing first partition to install Mac OS X... Now, I go and get some more coffee...

Boot iBoot again, but this time start the disk where you installed Snow Leopard. From there, setup OS X and get to the desktop.
You might need to connect your keyboard to USB for it to work if it's connected as PS/2.
Didn't have to do that with iBoot... Everything was identified on preboot... Audio, Video, USB Mouse and Keyboard, Ethernet were working straight out of box. I have dual moitors and both of them were working...

7. Rebooting back to iBoot and choosing First Partition (with already installed Mac OS X)... Yeah... doing the registration and first boot setup...

8. Downloading 10.6.2 combo update. So far so good...

9. Now as I was advised, I opened MultiBeast Installer and chose all apropriate boxes and left it as it is...

10. Now I opened Combo Update and ran it... After it was done, I went back to MultiBEast Installer window and continued with it...
(!!!) THAT WAS THE ONLY WAY FOR ME COMLETE THIS STEP (thanks for the advising).

11. Okey... Now I'm back to where I'm staying for past 2 days... I rebooted the system from a hard drive... Partition 0s2 (where Snow Leo is installed) was chosen to boot from. And nothing happened....
I have a sign saying:
"Verifying DMI Pool Data ......." and nothing happens... It is like I never installed Chameleon (I repeat, this is what's going on for past 2 days.... even when I tryed single boot without WIN7 as second partition).... I still can use Universal iBoot CD to boot to Mac or even Win7 (without any kind of x000000000e errors), but the system doesn't want to boot Chameleon on it's own... I even went and made sure that Mac OS Partition is active...
If I make Win7 partition active, Win7 loads normally... So, partition loader is working properly...

So, desn't it mean that I need ot change something else in BIOS?

At this point I'm leaving the system as it is... and going to bed.

PS. English is my second language, and I know, I make tones of spelling (and few grammar) mistakes... I just don't have time to check for errors... And also a bit lazy for that...

Walnut said:
11. Okey... Now I'm back to where I'm staying for past 2 days... I rebooted the system from a hard drive... Partition 0s2 (where Snow Leo is installed) was chosen to boot from. And nothing happened....
I have a sign saying:
"Verifying DMI Pool Data ......." and nothing happens... It is like I never installed Chameleon (I repeat, this is what's going on for past 2 days.... even when I tryed single boot without WIN7 as second partition).... I still can use Universal iBoot CD to boot to Mac or even Win7 (without any kind of x000000000e errors), but the system doesn't want to boot Chameleon on it's own... I even went and made sure that Mac OS Partition is active...
If I make Win7 partition active, Win7 loads normally... So, partition loader is working properly...

I can't really help you with that since I don't usually do multi-boot. Can you try the installation with only one hard drive? See if you still get the problem.

actually i did try one system... and I always get the same result... Mac Os System will not boot from a hard drive.

So, at this point OS is upgraded to 10.6.2 and also accepted automatic system update. The system is fully functioning... The only issue is that I cannot access DVDrom (it reads it, but doesn't eject it)... I guess it is because it is booted from it...

Is there a way to get Chameleon to get installed differentelly? I didn't actually look on the web for such troubleshooting yet... I will do that tomorrow...

I'm really close to the solution... I got DDR3 to function (it must be installed on the board in a specific sequence) and Os X recognize all 6gb's...

But, as I said, in general, the system is working correctelly...

Walnut said:
So, at this point OS is upgraded to 10.6.2 and also accepted automatic system update. The system is fully functioning... The only issue is that I cannot access DVDrom (it reads it, but doesn't eject it)... I guess it is because it is booted from it...
Can you boot from the hard drive at all? Or always from the CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back