Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R F5 Install Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
tonymacx86 said:
NuggyBuggy said:
Has anyone been able hot-swap eSata drives with this board ?
You'll need to install MacMan's JMicron36xeSATA.kext through MultiBeast. Then you'll get hot swappable SATA drives.
Thanks Tony, that worked great !

MacMan said:
You don't need both of these kexts:

/Extra/Extensions/JMicron36xeSATA.kext - com.tonymacx86.JMicron36xeSATA (0.7)
/Extra/Extensions/JMicron36xSATA.kext - com.tonymacx86.JMicron36xSATA (0.7)

Keep only one.

Removed one of those two but still nothing listed under Output. Thanks again for the help.

Hey GRom

I am testing the GA-EX58-UD3r with the same hardware configuration as you.

Used your dsts, and almost everything is working very well. Thanks.
Also used the newest MultiBeast to install additional needed kexts. Running 10.6.3

I had to use VooDooHoo for sound though. I tried the LegacyHDA for ALC889 as you recommended and sound devices show up in About this mac "System Profiler" but not in System preferences. Weird.

After installing VooDooHoo sound, it works though. It is the first time I have had to use VooDooHoo, I have had 889 sound working on other boards using MultiBeast.

Any thoughts?

rabbit

Grom, Let me add my thanks for posting the guide. Although, as you can already surmise, I have run into a glitch or 2. System is X58A-UD3R F5, 920 cpu, 6 GB RAM, and Radeon 4600. Set all the BIOS as per your guide, used the ATI iboot, and got to the "Install Failed" step. Rebooted with iboot, switched to hd with SL, and eventually got a kernal panic (cpu 0). Rebooted again, and now system shuts down after switching to hd with SL. So, have yet to make it to the configuration stage. Will experiment this weekend, but thought I'd ask first. You'll see I didn't limit RAM to 4 GB. Is that necessary or might that have caused the failure? Also kept 2 monitors attached to the Radeon 4600. Can't imagine why that would cause a problem, but then again, that's why I'm asking.

rabbit74 said:
Hey GRom

I am testing the GA-EX58-UD3r with the same hardware configuration as you.

Used your dsts, and almost everything is working very well. Thanks.
Also used the newest MultiBeast to install additional needed kexts. Running 10.6.3

I had to use VooDooHoo for sound though. I tried the LegacyHDA for ALC889 as you recommended and sound devices show up in About this mac "System Profiler" but not in System preferences. Weird.

After installing VooDooHoo sound, it works though. It is the first time I have had to use VooDooHoo, I have had 889 sound working on other boards using MultiBeast.

Any thoughts?

rabbit

Got it sorted. I saw the post about 10.6.3 nuking 899 sound so I did the regress of sound to 10.6.2 found here http://www.tonymacx86.com/Public/10.6.2-AppleHDAInstaller.zip

Then re-ran multibeast with both Legacy889 and HDAEnabler 889

Now all is good with the world.

I was just about to start cursing this MoBo but it seems quite nice now. Though I am not crazy about the rear panel's lack of USB ports. The regular UD5, UD6, and UD7 as well as all of the GA-P55 board have tons of USB ports. Guess I was spoiled. This Board does have some other nice options on the rear panel...

r.

I cannot boot from hard drive. Installed fine. Boots from iBoot fine.

Installed these:
* Chamaleon 2.0 RC4
* smbios.plist iMac11,1
* com.apple.boot.plist - Standard
* Themes
* JMicronATA.kext
* NVEnabler
* RealtekR1000SL.kext
* FakeSMC
* LegacyHDA for ALC889 (needed for sound using DSDT)

I did not install any DSDT, not sure what it is.

Boot from hard drive hangs with:
Waiting for DSMOS...
panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff7f8064eb98): "No HPETs available...CPU(s) configured incorrectly\n"@/SourceCache/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement-104.3/pmThread.c:148

Now I think the problem might be I updated 10.6.0 => 10.6.3 by software update, instead of manually downloading the DMG. :banghead: So when I installed the update, it downloaded, I ran MultiBeast install, then 10.6.3 installed after I told it to reboot. I guess this is wrong.

I also tried tried this, but same result:
viewtopic.php?p=9028#p9028

Is this just a matter of following instructions correctly? :oops:

A couple other questions...

Do I even need LegacyHDA for ALC889 if I don't do DSDT?
What is DSDT? Should I configure it for an i7-920?
Which JMicronATA.kext? I installed the 3rd SATA one. (not esata, not ata)
Which com.apple.boot.plist? I installed verbose 64bit.

Also is there any way to prevent this motherboard from reverting to default bios settings upon failed boot? INCREDIBLY frustrating!

This thread is a little hard to follow... sorry if asking questions already answered.

ghorwith said:
Grom, Let me add my thanks for posting the guide. Although, as you can already surmise, I have run into a glitch or 2. System is X58A-UD3R F5, 920 cpu, 6 GB RAM, and Radeon 4600. Set all the BIOS as per your guide, used the ATI iboot, and got to the "Install Failed" step. Rebooted with iboot, switched to hd with SL, and eventually got a kernal panic (cpu 0). Rebooted again, and now system shuts down after switching to hd with SL. So, have yet to make it to the configuration stage. Will experiment this weekend, but thought I'd ask first. You'll see I didn't limit RAM to 4 GB. Is that necessary or might that have caused the failure? Also kept 2 monitors attached to the Radeon 4600. Can't imagine why that would cause a problem, but then again, that's why I'm asking.
Removed the extra 2GB and install went fine. Did everything per instructions, and now boots ok if I use the ATI boot CD, but it hangs if booting from the hd. Also haven't been able to get audio, and if the 2GB ram is reinstalled, system won't boot even from the CD. Gotta be doing something wrong, but can't figure out what. (BTW, yes, I did use the utility to rebuild caches and permissions. I'm guessing these problems have something to do with the DSDT. Anyone have one for the X58A-UD3R with ATI Radeon 4600?

I tried another install, this time doing the 10.6.3 update from DMG.

First reboot after combo update + MultiBeast => verbose text => black screen.
Then booted off iBoot, and installed all the MultiBeast stuff again.
Second reboot, hangs on this:
ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed
FakeSMC: key info not found MSDS, length - 6

Would absolutely like to see an updated, 100% correct, detailed guide for this board because I cannot figure it out. The first post is too ambiguous with its description of install options for MultiBeast 1.1.0.

Just to re-iterate... boots the install fine with iBoot, but cannot boot from just the install disk itself using chameleon rc4 from MultiBeast.

OK I got it booting without iBoot when I installed NullCPUPowerManagement.
Is this safe? What is the implication?

Here are the EXACT options I selected in MultiBeast 1.1.0.
Could someone please review this list for correctness?

System Utilities > Rebuild Caches
System Utilities > Repair Permissions
Advanced Options > Kexts > Audio > LegacyHDA > ALC889 :?:
Advanced Options > Kexts > JMicron36x (aka GSATA) > JMicron36xATA :?:
Advanced Options > Kexts > JMicron36x (aka GSATA) > JMicron36xSATA :?:
Advanced Options > Kexts > Graphics > NVEnabler :?:
Advanced Options > Kexts > Network > RealtekR1000SL :?:
Advanced Options > Kexts > Non-DSDT Systems > fakesmc :?:
Advanced Options > Kexts > Non-DSDT Systems > NullCPUPowerManagement :?:
Advanced Options > Chameleon > Chameleon 2.0 RC4 by AsereBLN
Advanced Options > com.apple.boot.plist > 64-bit Verbose
Advanced Options > smbios.plist > iMac11,1 > Core i7
Advanced Options > Themes

Would anyone mind reviewing? I don't want to have junk on there if I'm not using it. Fully updated now on 10.6.3.

:arrow: Still some problems:
:arrow: System does not Wake from Sleep.
:arrow: Restart not working, exits OSX but system does not reboot.
:arrow: Internal drives are eject-able (orange instead of blue).

Getting closer!

pdime said:
Would anyone mind reviewing? I don't want to have junk on there if I'm not using it. Fully updated now on 10.6.3. Again I have i7 920 and nvidia 260 gtx.

:arrow: Still some problems:
:arrow: System does not Wake from Sleep.
:arrow: Restart not working, exits OSX but system does not reboot.
:arrow: Internal drives are eject-able (orange instead of blue).

Getting closer1

What motherboard do you have? You should put your specs in your signature. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back