Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
CPU
Xeon X5650 OC 3.6GHz
Graphics
GTX 660
My install went not without a few hitches. I really don't know enough to ask the right questions yet.

Installed from a new 10.6.3 disc, and my ASUS 5770 could do video out over VGA (It happened to be the monitor at hand). Restarting in 10.6.6 (with or without multibeast installing anything) lost my video connection and it took me a long time to switch to the DVI port to notice that it *was* working.

The video card has 3 ports: HDMI, DVI, VGA

DVI->HDMI cable works.
VGA cable doesn't work - no video
HDMI cable doesn't work - no video

So I'm not dead in the water, but any tips on getting video out of the other ports? I'm interested in my 2nd monitor over VGA.

This dude had pretty much the same setup, and so I followed his instructions for the multibeast section for my install:

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=11228

Advice appreciated

edit: said 10.6.2, meant 10.6.3

Hi - thanks for the reply

System Profiler does recognize the card as a 5770 - I'll take a snapshot when I get home in a few hours. I'll post novabench scores too (they don't look out of line) for good measure.

To be honest, I don't know about GraphicsEnabler="Yes". I do know that I dl'd a DSDT file per tonymac instructions and let multibeast do its thing.

I see plenty of discussions about GraphicsEnabler without folks saying where to go to check it. A quick Google tells me that there's a boot.plist in my /Extra folder. If that's accurate, I'll check there and report again.

I'm not sure what GraphicsEnabler does, exactly.

I read that launching Front Row is a decent test for testing if QE/CI - My Front Row works fine.

System Profiler under Graphics/Displays

ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x68b8
Revision ID: 0x0000
Displays:
VX2253 Series:
Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Television: Yes
Display Connector:
Display Connector:
Display Connector:

NovaBench Score: 1445
2011-03-29 17:43:29 -0500
Mac OS X 10.6.6
Intel Core i7 @ 3200 MHz
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

8192 MB System RAM (Score: 158)
- RAM Speed: 4414 MB/s

CPU Tests (Score: 610)
- Floating Point Operations/Second: 241813232
- Integer Operations/Second: 490605856
- MD5 Hashes Calculated/Second: 923040

Graphics Tests (Score: 642)
- 3D Frames Per Second: 1191

Hardware Tests (Score: 35)
- Primary Partition Capacity: 465 GB
- Drive Write Speed: 89 MB/s

com.apple.Boot.plist
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Judah said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought only 10.6.0 and 10.6.3 were the retail DVD's released?

Had to do a double take - you were right - 10.6.3 it is. Edited the above.

Seeing theme.plist in /Extras/Themes/Default for the first time, I made changes to the height and width, and it looks like i need to play with the positioning of other stuff and size of these graphics -- I assume I'll trip over a discussion about this where folks have this figured out.

So hopefully someone will come along and tell me what to try for VGA/HDMI goodness, but in the mean time....

Is it normal for the progress bar on chameleon to go backwards? People don't seem to be asking that one.

Judah said:
I would do a quick google search with "Asus 5770 framebuffer" as keywords and see what comes up.

Wow, thanks :) This led me through an evening of reading.

I got Kabyl's boot file(http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... 231768&hl=), and used Hoolock and VGA worked - but only VGA.
When I switch (back?) to Vervet I get video over DVI (and only DVI).

I'm apparently needing Vervet with 1 port and Hoolock on the other.

This thread looks as to hold the answer, but I'm confused about what to do with his file.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... ded&start=

Judah said:
I ended up just using GraphicsEnabler=No and reverting to an earlier update. The app store doesn't really excite me enough to go through the hassle right now.

Frankly, that hadn't occurred to me.

I'm willing to revert (I dragged the App store out within 4 seconds of seeing it in the Dock).

Two questions then:
What do you lose with GraphicsEnabler=No?
What OS did you revert to?

Edit: Decent read on GraphicsEnabler -> http://macmanx86.blogspot.com/2011/02/c ... abler.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back