Graphics
Nvidia GTX260 OC
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
"Gigabyte has made its last P67 mainboard and cancelled all future production – that’s the stunning news that has just filtered into KitGuru’s newsroom. Shocking stuff, but is it real and, if so, what does it mean. KitGuru heads for the underground carparks to find out, deepthroat style.

Having shown off a very early board at the start of March 2011, at CeBIT in Hannover – it was known that Gigabyte was far down the line with its research into the new technology. The huge upheaval caused by the total recall of initial Sandy Bridge products seems to have helped the mainboard maker make a decision about its future direction.

Straight to Z68, do not pass go and do not order any more of those P67 chip things.

Full details are still not available and if you read the early spec list for Z68, you would be forgiven for thinking that it’s nearly identical to the P67.

So far, the most persistent rumour seems to be ‘better for overclocking’. Which is saying something, because everyone seems to be able to get the 2500k stable at 4.6GHz and the 2600k stable at 4.8GHz with Zardon peaking his nuts off at 5.1GHz.

What will it mean to sales and the market?

Well, for one, it will see Asus get a nice little kick. The Gigabyte P67 boards that are already in the channel – are the last that were ever made. No new stocks of P67 have been ordered by Gigabyte and none are in production. So companies wishing to order P67 in any kind of bulk, may well switch to Asus or MSI or Asrock or someone else.

On the other hand, you enthusiasts are a fickle bunch who get drawn to the new/shiny stuff nice and early – so maybe Gigabyte is doing the right thing by pushing all of its enthusiast class mainboard products to a new chipset ahead of the competition."

http://www.kitguru.net/components/mothe ... 00-to-x68/

The new Gigabyte motherboads will include ETRON USB 3.0 controllers instead NEC-Renesas, so bad news for us.

Read here my previous topic: viewtopic.php?f=79&t=17544

An Asus rep mentioned that Z68 is essentially an H67 with overclocking ability (hence the confusion), with video out's for the onboard graphics. It's aimed at those who wish to overclock with a chip using onboard GPU.

For those who use a P67 with dedicated GPU, i.e., everyone, there will ne no benefit bar one thing: SSD HDD caching. An SSD can be used to cache HDD data.

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-B3-UD7 already on sale

So it should not officially make its appearance before the beginning of May, the Z68 chipset from Intel is already present on the shelves of some shops in Taiwan. It is possible to find the GA-Z68X UD7-B3-Gigabyte model ATX format with four DDR3 slots and a power stage to 24 phases. This motherboard also has four PCI-Express 16x (compatible 3-way SLI and CrossFireX), ten SATA ports (four in 6 Gbps SATA) controllers and USB 3.0, Gigabit Ethernet (x2) and 7.1 audio.

Displayed approximately 12 000 Taiwan dollars, the equivalent of 287 euros, this motherboard is obviously tailored for overclocking. Remains to know his release date "global."

Source: Hardware post

In my country, some shops have this mobo listed at 330€

The possibility of take use of the IGP could be a great improvement for imac models if they implement video card switching just like newer MBPs, IMO.

But, if whole mac family will include Thunderbolt.... What kind of chipset are being used by Apple? Maybe a early Panther point? (but no USB 3.0 yet? :confused: )

I don't believe this rumor. I can believe stuff is out early, but I cannot believe that they would nix the "P" series chipset. Quick Sync is the ONLY thing that's worth it on these, as the SSD caching is... unimpressive at best.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z68 ... 888-4.html

The issue here is not in the sense of if Z68 is better or worse than P67 or worth switching.
It's just that some try to find the best option to improve our hardware and do it at the right time, as a long-term bet, preferably where all components work well and are fully compatible.

Dont know if that rumor is true or not, but with all this movements in terms of chipsets, I tend to think that this cougar point generation will be a kind of transition that will culminate in 2012 unifying USB 3.0, SATA3, PCI3.0, and Thunterbolt, All under the same platform natively with Panther Point and Ivy Bridge, and probably with an IPG powerful enough to not need a dedicated GPU (for most users).

For those who use Hackintosh there is always PCI-e controllers if we need to E-SATA, USB3.0 or even Thunderbolt (in the future), so all this isnt a deal-breaker for most people, if you really need to improve your hardware.

Personally I would wait until Panther point and Ivy Bridge, but ... damn, that's at least 1 more year!

Still remains the hope that other manufacturers such as Asus continue to include NEC chips on their Z68 MoBos.

It was all a RUMOR.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back