Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Black RAM Slots => Which to use ?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 (UEFI)
CPU
i5 2400
Graphics
GTX 560 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
Hi ! I'm having quite a brainstrom right now. I have no idea what slots to use on this motherboard. I believe I got them wrong when I built this build.

Have a look :
Capture d’écran 2013-05-15 à 14.34.28.png
IMG_0039.jpg

My RAM sticks are on the DDR3_1 and DDR3_2, so it seems correct, but I'm no expert. And my System Info Panel says they're not on the same channel. So I have no Idea if this thing is right or wrong...

Help !
Clovel

Gygabyte Black RAM Slots => Which to use ?!?

The instructs seen to contradict the board

I would expect to put memory in slots left to right - for the sake of explanation here 1 (far left), 2 (to the immediate right of 1) and so on.

Normally you would use 1 and 3 or 2 and 4

Your instructions suggest using 1 and 2 or 3 and 4

You might need to try a few options.

Gygabyte Black RAM Slots => Which to use ?!?

Hi ! I knew something was weird...

The Slot DDR3_1 indicator is on the other side. And the attachment does not have the same layout as my motherboard, but the revision under.

I'm understanding (or misunderstanding) that I should move the sticks to (on the picture) slots 2 and 4. But if i do what you said, my sticks will both be next to the CPU, correct ? Or is it on the other side ? Shouldn't they be on the DDR3_1 & DDR3_3 ports ? Is there any difference ? I'm confused here, sorry.

Thanks,
Clovel

Clovel, its not at all clear when instructions seem to contradict the board. The board should be correct. I amended my original comment as I had looked at the instructions, but not your photograph of the board.

I have had a look at the instruction from the Gigabyte EV site. They show only one revision of this board. Here is a quote from p16, text is just below you image:

When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that
memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used for optimum performance. For op- timum performance, when enabling Dual Channel mode with two memory modules, we recommend that you install them in the DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 sockets.

According to the manual you have installed the memory correctly.

Just for the purpose of isolating the problem - do you have a link for your purchased memory?

The computer says one stick is on channel A and the other on channel B - the instructions suggest the correct placement is where you have them. Might be worth trying to move one stick into a different slot - to see what the computer says.

Yeah, I'm going to do that right now, it's bugging me.

No, I don"t have a link, as these are french revision of the RAM, but the reference is in my Build Post (see signature), so you can find the specs with those. They are told to be good quality Corsair Sticks. I'm more of a software/graphics guy, so I got suggested to take these.

Thanks, I'll keep you posted !
Clovel

The purpose of asking was to ensure that your memory was dual channel, rather than single or triple channel.

I would switch the machine off, move one stick, poet up, and check system profiler - repeat until system profiler is happy. If no success here, then suggest going into bios to see what options your board has.

Best of Luck / bonne chance

Hi again ! I bring glad tidings ! Look : Capture d’écran 2013-05-15 à 15.51.39.png

It's on the Channel B, but it's okay for now. It seems that, on my board :
Channel A = DDR3_2 + DDR3_4
Channel B = DDR3_1 + DDR3_3

Now, I noted that my RAM is in fact manufactured for 2000 MHz, but is set for 1867 MHz. I remember being able to change this in BIOS and having it changed to 2K, but in Gigabyte's UEFI, I can only choose Default (=1066 MHz) or XTreme Profile1 (=1866 MHz). Do you know about this ? My board supports DDR3 2133/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules "officially".

Any chance you know about this ?

Yeh, great news.

On your memory. It is the CPU which governs how fast the memory runs.

My build uses IVY G2020 - supports 1333Mhz, although I have 1600Mhz fitted. The faster speed is cut back to a slower speed by the processor, although the faster speed is reported in system references.

On my motherboard bios, I didn't make any changes to 'profile 1', I left it in the default setting which read 1333Mhz. If you were able to get your motherboard bios to read 1600 or the next highest speed then that should be OK and you are now ready to progress.

Result:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back