Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

Hello Community! Anybody tried flashing BIOS to F11? Any success? In my case I seem to have to remap my USBs because half of them stopped working.
Interesting. Can you please post the following files (w/BIOS F11):
  • IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As...
  • MaciASL --> File --> New from ACPI --> DSDT

Hello @echoesoflife,

I sympathize with you on these issues regarding daisy chained UAD devices. Alas, this is also the reason why I have stated earlier in this thread that AMD Ryzentosh should not be used for (a) music production, (b) Adobe applications, (c) apps that use virtualization. Unfortunately there's almost nothing we can do with these types of Thunderbolt problems.
Thanks Casey! You've helped a lot, I really appreciate your time.

Do you think that it could be worth switching to a different motherboard, i.e., Gigabyte Vision?

Thanks Casey! You've helped a lot, I really appreciate your time.

Do you think that it could be worth switching to a different motherboard, i.e., Gigabyte Vision?
The most reliable Thunderbolt behavior we have yet seen (and we have seen a lot of them) are on:
  • Gigabyte Z390 Designare with built-in Titan Ridge (Intel)
  • Gigabyte Z490 Vision D with built-in Titan Ridge (Intel)
Of these two, the older Z390 Designare is the most reliable, with the Z490 Vision D being a close second.

Quite a few musicians and audio engineers are using both of these systems with UAD devices. If you look at Thunderbolt 3 Experiences in the Z390 Designare thread, you will see what I mean.

I think he is saying switch to the Vision D with an intel cpu (it will take the new rocket lake coming out). I have a ryzen build too and it's close but it sucks not being able to run photoshop reliably and for me I can't get iMessage to work

@CaseySJ first of all, thank you for putting your hard work into this. I'm here because i've needed a Mac for my music studio, primarily for Ableton but wanted to upgrade my skill by learning Logic.

After one semi-succesful attemp of putting together my first Hackintosh on Clover, i've rushed in and followed your lead by buying B550 Vision D, Ryzen 3600 and a used Sapphire RX570. After few glorious days on new & fast build i've started to experience weird hick-ups in performance and eventually it started to freeze on random occasions. Sometimes on full load, sometimes just on idle and even it could work like a charm for few days and finally freeze randomly.

There was also this audio glitch were it could do a weird "ping pong delay" effect for few seconds and that one also could happen few times a day or not for few days. Focusrite 18i20 is the audio interface.

So...after a crash that happened couple days ago, OSX just won't boot. Black screen in half way of loading do OS, trying to boot it with new EFI from you also couldn't do the job. Swapped the cards from Sapphire RX570 to ASUS RX580 helped for three days and now i'm here again with the same problem BUT there's a plot twist. After saying "F**K THIS" i'm going back to my trauma called Windows 10, i've experienced this mad thing were after rebooting from fresh install (after downloading drivers also for GPU) i've couldn't get into OS. Same thing as with OSX, in the middle of booting into OS there was a black screen. BTW. Fans on GPU stopped spinning right after black screen.

and another plot twist: brought the computer back home after many hours of troubleshooting in the studio and i've gave it a last chance. Hooked up it to my home workspace and bam, Windows boots like nothing happened. I've already installed fresh Mojave 10.14.16 (best option for my DAW, plugins etc.) and it works just like that.

Unstable current in electrical socket ?! Bad PSU cable ?! Will find out tomorrow probably or just relay on my poor old MBP 2013 and save pennies on upcoming Mac Mini.

So Casey, does my problems with OSX random freezing rings a bell ? I would like to get more into configurations and knowing what is happening in that EFI you blessed us but the amount of work in my studio doesn't leave me with any more time to learn hard about Opencore etc. I've already failed with properly renaming my components in Opencore after first boot into OSX.

Again, thank you and hope you guys are not destroyed by my noobness and modest english skills :crazy:

5!

Hello @sadeuko,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for describing the problem so clearly. What you describe is very odd, but the first thing I always recommend in cases such as these is to perform a CMOS Reset. This clears the BIOS settings, so we have to reconfigure them immediately afterwards.

Whenever we change some internal components such as NVMe SSDs and GPUs, it's an excellent idea to do CMOS Reset. This forces the system to rescan for all connected devices and rebuild all of the internal EFI tables.

So please try this first and let us know what happens. We'll take it from there.

Awsome, that's a pretty good start with solving those issues and being more confident when stuff like this happen.

BTW. You should write down some golden rules/tips for folks like me, saving us from throwing ourselfs into bottomless pit of forum threads and YT videos while being scared as hell cuz you can't finish your job and third coffee in a row wasn't a good idea.

@CaseySJ again, thanks for your wisdom !

Awsome, that's a pretty good start with solving those issues and being more confident when stuff like this happen.

BTW. You should write down some golden rules/tips for folks like me, saving us from throwing ourselfs into bottomless pit of forum threads and YT videos while being scared as hell cuz you can't finish your job and third coffee in a row wasn't a good idea.

@CaseySJ again, thanks for your wisdom !
Good idea. Please see newly added bullet #3 (Table of Contents, Post #1):

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 6.14.58 PM.png

Back