Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

Did anyone get a chance to preorder the Radeon RX 6000 series? If you thought Nvidia's launch was bad, this one seems much worse.

Did anyone get a chance to preorder the Radeon RX 6000 series? If you thought Nvidia's launch was bad, this one seems much worse.
I dropped by my local MC at 3:30 am and the parking lot was full, there were hundreds of people in line and more scattered throughout the parking lot. They haven’t even listed the cards on the website to see the price.
It still reads as having 10+ 5900x CPUs bit I know that’s not possible.

Really would like to try build AMD based hackintosh and help this community with testings, but I afraid that something could not work for my essential programs for developing. I also have 4K USB-C monitors so would like to test do they work via this port.

I just don't understand this part "
Thunderbolt devices do not connect on Apple Menu --> Restart, but they will connect under these conditions:
  • Cold boot.
  • Shutdown and restart computer (without flipping power switch).
  • Wake from sleep.
  • Hot plug."
Also saw something wrong with sleeping mode with AMD CPU, is it still problem or it's solved 100%?
With Big Sur, the B550 Vision D sleeps and wakes properly. I call it the "October Miracle" because a beta version of Big Sur released in October fixed our sleep/wake problems!

Right now, the most problematic applications are:
  • Adobe Creative Cloud apps. Probably best to avoid them until they release new ARM/Mac universal binaries.
  • Virtualization apps. VMware Fusion, Parallels, VirtualBox will not work.
  • Safari may crash the entire system (not always, but occasionally), so it's best to use Firefox.
The new Ryzen 5000 series processors do work and perform very well, but we get garbled audio. I'm hoping that new AMD-OSX kernel patches in the future will fix this.

I dropped by my local MC at 3:30 am and the parking lot was full, there were hundreds of people in line and more scattered throughout the parking lot. They haven’t even listed the cards on the website to see the price.
It still reads as having 10+ 5900x CPUs bit I know that’s not possible.
Nvidia and AMD should just tell us the REAL reason for the supply shortages. Are the manufacturing yields very low? Are there other supply chain problems? How many units did they actually send to retailers?

Micro center in my area said they had less than 10 new Radeon cards. I don’t even know if they had any cards. I met people in line who drove over 4 hours, and stood in line since 4 am in the freezing temps that didn’t get anything at all.

I got there early and there was already a ton of people in line, 99 percent of which got nothing. 2020’s monicker should be: “sold out.”

this seems worse than the 3080 launch. When the 3080 launched, Best Buy had some for sale. They haven’t even gone on sale yet at Best Buy, hours after launch. This whole supply shortage thing is pretty terrible at this point. I know COVID is raging, there’s shipping and manufacturing restrictions, and demand is sky high... but less than 10 cards at a micro center on launch day in 2020 when they know demand is sky sky high, and would’ve ordered several hundred if not thousands of units accordingly ? Something isn’t adding up.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ

Do you mean this thing? :)
Check the text on the monitor behind the "thing" :)

1605734508443.png

Last edited:
I. Officially. Hate. You. Now. :)

Tell us how you did it!!
I was smashing F5... my pointy finger hurts now... so ill install tomorrow and report back.. i hope agdpmod=pikera will work!

Remember with bios F11, i tried with RX580, VEGA64 and i didnt get to Finder with 5600X. I dont have any Zen2 CPUs at hand to test.. i swapped my 3600XT for this 5600X

I was smashing F5... my pointy finger hurts now... so ill install tomorrow and report back.. i hope agdpmod=pikera will work!

Remember with bios F11, i tried with RX580, VEGA64 and i didnt get to Finder with 5600X. I dont have any Zen2 CPUs at hand to test.. i swapped my 3600XT for this 5600X
You ordered from a local store and picked it up?

Back