Contribute
Register

Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD4670 1GB out to trash???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte H170M-D3H
CPU
i5-6600
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi All,
Well enough is enough so I am seeking a recommendation for the 'easiest' installed nVidia graphics card through Multibeast.
I have attempted to install approx 50 times and after selecting various options 90% of the time the screen is blank, but the box is happily ticking away - Graphics card issue! When I do get the card to display it is max resolution of 1024X768.

Anyway I require a nVidia card now that will install with multibeast and supply full HD 1929x1080 and sound through HDMI connection.
I do not need the 'latest model' to impress anyone, just something that does the job.

I am considering a list as follows:-
nVidia Cards
GT220
GT240
GTS250
GTX260
GF9500GT
GF9800GT

Any help would be greatly appreciated.......I was almost considering purchasing a mac last night as the missus needs iPhoto up in the next few days.

Cheers.

I had a 4850 that I could not get to work either. I bought a EVGA 9800 GTX+ 512MB and it works great with just graphicsenabler=yes in the com.apple boot.plist and could not be happier. Just make sure you have a big enough case, this card is a little big.

RayMacx64 said:
I had a 4850 that I could not get to work either. I bought a EVGA 9800 GTX+ 512MB and it works great with just graphicsenabler=yes in the com.apple boot.plist and could not be happier. Just make sure you have a big enough case, this card is a little big.

Yeah- thanks again RayMac for the donation of your ATI! :) :ugeek: :ugeek: :lol: Glad that the 9800 is working out for ya. Another satisfied NVIDIA customer.

Note to All- tonymacx86 Hardware Donations
Before you bash that ATI card into oblivion, throw it down by the river, or simply step on it angrily, consider donating it to us- we're trying to get this ATI iBoot to be as universal as the NVIDIA one.

This goes for any older hardware that's collecting dust- it's always best to test MultiBeast, iBoot, etc on as many different hardware combos as possible. It can only help development! ;) PM me if you might have something donate-able for testing.

OK. So I bought a Gigabyte GTS 250 1G card and removed the ATI 4670.
As suggested by Tony, reformatted the 1TB to remove the Win7 partition and solely get the OS X up and running, which is fair enough. Carried this out to remove all possible issues relating to Win 7.

After another day and approx 10 attempts...still no good. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Each time I installed OS X, then upgraded (tried 10.6.2 or 10.6.3), then run multibeast.
As suggested by Tony, only selected the DSDT under Gigabeast for my board and disc utilities. The same issue occurs, where after the installation completes, I restart the system and no screen appears on either HDMI (TV) or VGA (Monitor).
I have checked that the GraphicEnble=Yes is present (Has the -v in front of it).

Read a post where Tony suggested to another user to remove their Extra/Extension folder then re-install with Multibeast which I also carried out and still no good.

Then re-read the old setup, where moving the 10.6.0 folder to desktop before upgrading so tried did this before installing the 10.6.3 update. Still same error.

Tried to rebuild cache's at the end of all this and rebooted again....and no graphics still...........Starting to think the graphics card should be in the 8x slot and not the 16x?????

Also as a final resort, upgraded the Bios to F9 then carried out the above.....now the system has kernel panic and gets stopped on the line:-
"System uptime in nanoseconds: xxxxxxxx".

Above this has the following also:-
"Mac OS version:
not yet set"

Tried to reboot again with iBoot disc and the "-x" option, but boot now stops at the line:-
"System uptime in nanoseconds: xxxxxxxx".
as it did above.......

Also no HDMI at all on this board now with the new Grpahics card....not even to be able to get into the Bios screen via HDMI...........Looks like I am all out of options on this one.....a very poor combination to get this up and running....suggest a very poor board.
Not wasting any more on this however.....time to visit Apple and get a move on with the projects I required this for......and when time permits, reload Win 7 and at least enjoy the media center.

One day I will reload the 4600 card with 10.6.2 and swap between HDMI and PC on the Samsung TV. This will at least allow me to use some functionality of the Apple software for pictures and videos I wanted to mess with.

Thanks everyone for their support on this forum.

I just made a fresh install with hardware similar to yours and made my ati 4670 work on 10.6.3 (only vga though).

I installed 10.6 retail dvd using iBoot(ATI) (latest from tonymac blog) (used -x option)
I upgraded to 10.6.3 using combo update. Did not reboot.
Mulibeast-->Gigabeast+installed osx86 utilities + installed AppleHDA.
Removed LegacyHDA from Extra/Extensions.
Launched Kext Utility to rebuild cache and permissions.
Rebooted and 4670 was running fine. I can change resolution. QE/CI is working.

Thanks for the update of your method, although we have different mobo's.
When the DSDT for GA-P55A-UD4P becomes available I will give this a shot with the GTS 250 card first. I tried another fresh install today and get the "system uptime in nanosecondS:xxxx" error still with a simple minimum install.
From previous occurances of this error, I believe it to be the DSDT which will need to be updated for the new F9 bios.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back