CPU
E3-1275 V3
Graphics
GTX 680
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I know the hardware I have is not the best in terms of compatibility but I had to give it a fighting try.

I am able to get 10.9.4 to install and boot once using -x PCIRootUID=0 flags. Then after running Multibeast and attempting to reboot I cannot get it to start.

A regular boot leads to a screen full of gibberish: (attached)

Trying to boot in single user mode leads to a very weird error about deadbeef:
Loading Darwin 10.9
Loading kernel cache /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache
Load HFS+ file: [hd(1,2)/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache] 4096 bytes.
Load HFS+ file: [hd(1,2)/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache] 18123986 bytes.
Using PCI-Root-UID value: 0
ATI/AMD Framebuffer Addr: @0xE0000000 MMIO Addr: @0xFBD00000 I/O Port Addr: @0x0000E000 ROM Adr: @0xF8D40000
ATI/AMD card POSTed, reading Video Bios from legacy space.
Framebuffer set to: Aji using device's default.
Number of ports set to: 4 using framebuffer's default.

Memory allocation error: Addr: 0xdeadbeef, Size: 0x0, File: ati.c, Line 1772

This is a non recoverable error! System HALTED!!!

This leads me to believe something is unique about the Radeon 7970s. Is there anyone that can help me interpret the error?

Attachments

• MavericksCrash.jpg
    MavericksCrash.jpg
    971.8 KB · Views: 135
A regular boot leads to a screen full of gibberish:

Try Search - Link.

Trying to boot in single user mode leads to a very weird error about deadbeef

Again Search is your friend - Link.

Boot with maxmem=4096

This site has been around for a long time - Many problems have already been addressed.

Good Luck

Apparently I posted too soon, and had to be told to search more. /sigh I still don't really have an answer to what the error means, but thanks for pointing me at some other discussions.

For anyone else who might inadvertently read this, the gibberish error is apparently the standard problem with Radeon 7970. This board has on onboard Aspeed vga card that cannot be disabled, however it's not sufficient just that it is enabled but it must be told to boot first in bios.

Furthermore suggesting that the only way I can boot is to use maxmem=4096 is a lot like saying "you're hardware just won't work" because I am certainly not going to run mavericks with 4gb of memory.

Furthermore suggesting that the only way I can boot is to use maxmem=4096 is a lot like saying "you're hardware just won't work" because I am certainly not going to run mavericks with 4gb of memory.

You only have to boot with maxmem=4096 until you have run Multibeast, after that everything should be ok and you can boot without.

Good Luck

I know the hardware I have is not the best in terms of compatibility but I had to give it a fighting try.

I am able to get 10.9.4 to install and boot once using -x PCIRootUID=0 flags. Then after running Multibeast and attempting to reboot I cannot get it to start.

Loading Darwin 10.9
Loading kernel cache /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache
Load HFS+ file: [hd(1,2)/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache] 4096 bytes.
Load HFS+ file: [hd(1,2)/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache] 18123986 bytes.
ATI/AMD Framebuffer Addr: @0xE0000000 MMIO Addr: @0xFBD00000 I/O Port Addr: @0x0000E000 ROM Adr: @0xF8D40000

This leads me to believe something is unique about the Radeon 7970s. Is there anyone that can help me interpret the error?
The gibberish is not important. The AMD Radeon 7970 must be the secondary graphics device in your system in order to boot using Chimera/Chameleon without a boot error and gibberish text. This is because of the larger video BIOS size. If that error continues you may have to use terminal to move the boot loader and the extra folder to the EFI partition.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/401-install-bootloader-extra-efi-partition.html

You need to do this because the Xeon cpu you are using has no integrated graphics on the chip.

Loading Darwin 10.9

I attempted installing Mavericks with a system using this board and had no luck either. Maybe now I'll understand the errors better.

My Java Program converted 0xE0000000 to à 0000 0000 0000, 0xFBD00000 to ûÐ 0000 0000, and 0x0000E000 to 0000 0000 à 0000. As for 0xdeadbeef it converted it to Þ*¾ï. All of that was converted from the hex you supplied to ascii characters if that helps. I'm not sure if Endianness matters their either, but if it does I can do the conversion again if it helps. The conversion from binary to hex is done for you though. None of this may even matter though because the error makes no sense even when converted to asking if I'm doing the forensics correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back