Contribute
Register

Gigabye X58A-UD3R (Rev2, FF) How Can i get eSATA working?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte x58a-ud3r - OSX 10.6.8
CPU
i7-960 3.2Ghz
Graphics
Gigabyte Radeon 5870
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Installed Using

http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=11465 Multibeast settings.

Very Similar build, but with i7-960 and Gigabyte ATI 5870 (not that that matters?)

I've installed JMicron36x eSATA Drivers via Multibeast but my eSATA ports still arent working. Any Suggestions?

Thanks!!

cooperleeray said:
Installed Using

http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=11465 Multibeast settings.

Very Similar build, but with i7-960 and Gigabyte ATI 5870 (not that that matters?)

I've installed JMicron36x eSATA Drivers via Multibeast but my eSATA ports still arent working. Any Suggestions?

Thanks!!
Do they work with a USB drive plugged in?

Going Bald said:
Do they work with a USB drive plugged in?

Do you mean standalone USB from the ports next to the eSATA ones or usb and eSATA to the same drive?? Went to see this morning and my computer wont power on :eek:

****. i dont really know where to start. I powered it on then one second later (after pressing power on the case) fans and led's cut out and i got a ticking sound from my speakers plugged in. WTF is going on? I assume this is hardware related. PSU?

Any suggestions, please?! i know this is off topic here, but i don't necessarily know where i'd post it.

Sorry, I can't really help you with your hardware problem, but I can respond to your initial question:
eSata works absolutely fine here. Same board, same cpu and installed the system following notshy's guide just like you did.
So maybe you got a damaged board to start with. Might explain the "sudden" death now.
Good luck with the repairs.

Cheers,

Ice

Hmmm quite strange. Perhaps my board is messed up. Everything was working great other than the eSATA ports though.

Could it simply be a PSU issue? Anyone know if there's a way to check if it's the mobo or psu? Or simply what i should do!! :cry: Thanks so much...

cooperleeray said:
Hmmm quite strange. Perhaps my board is messed up. Everything was working great other than the eSATA ports though.

Could it simply be a PSU issue? Anyone know if there's a way to check if it's the mobo or psu? Or simply what i should do!! :cry: Thanks so much...
If you disconnect the PCIe cable and all of the drive cables and turn the power on do the case fans work? If they do not - you need a new PSU. If you connect a hard drive power cable and power up - does the hard drive spin up? If it does not - you need a new PSU. If you connect the PCIe cable and power up does the GPU fan spin up? If it does not - you need a new PSU. (I mention these separately because they may be on separate rails.) If the preceeding all work, do the leds on the motherboard light up? Assuming you have the cpu cooler fan connected to the motherboard, is it turning? If they do not work/turn - you need a new motherboard.

Wow wow wow! Thank you so much.

I have only the case fans connected and they don't spin up, or light up. PSU it is then. I also plugged the mobo in and still get that strange clicking/heartbeat sound from my speakers. Very Erie...im sure nothing to worry about, yeah?

Is it common for a PSU to die in the first few days? It's a Corsair TX850. Im prob going to go with the HX or AX series after this failure.

Thanks again :clap: will let you know what happens

cooperleeray said:
Wow wow wow! Thank you so much.

I have only the case fans connected and they don't spin up, or light up. PSU it is then. I also plugged the mobo in and still get that strange clicking/heartbeat sound from my speakers. Very Erie...im sure nothing to worry about, yeah?

Is it common for a PSU to die in the first few days? It's a Corsair TX850. Im prob going to go with the HX or AX series after this failure.

Thanks again :clap: will let you know what happens
Meant to mention (and this caught me once) if you have been moving your case around to plug/unplug cables into the back, make sure the PSU cord is pushed in all the way. I was about to remove a PSU and RMA it when the cord fell off as I pulled the case forward. Nothing wrong with the PSU - the cable wasn't making connection.

New PSU solved the problem!! Upgraded to a Corsair AX850 from the TX!
Thanks for the help. Im learning all of this as i go :thumbup:

I guess PSU's can just crap out out of nowhere

Still need to figure out these eSATA ports now that my machine is back up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back