Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580
When mojave came out awhile ago, I upgraded as usual and learned very quickly my nvidia card was no longer supported. Fast forward to today, I'm thinking of ether switching to high sierra or just buying an AMD card that works with the least fuss. Can you recommend an AMD card that will perform as well as my current 980 Ti did on high sierra. Thanks

I'm thinking of ether switching to high sierra or just buying an AMD card that works with the least fuss. Can you recommend an AMD card that will perform as well as my current 980 Ti did on high sierra.

@lmannyr,

Very few GPU's (if any) work OOB on a Hackingtosh due to PC's having ACPI tables that are optimised for Windows.
At the very least you may need to resolve ACPI names and in some cases apply MacOS patches.

Installing Lilu + WhatEverGreen will take care of this for you in most cases, see this guide if your new to Lilu :-

AMD RX 580 should give you similar (maybe slightly better) performance to a GTX 980 Ti in MacOS.
If you want to spend a little more and have better performance then AMD Vega 56 or 64 are a good buy right now as they have been superseded by the new AMD Navi cards (RX 5700 & RX 5700 XT).

Note: The new Navi cards are not yet supported in MacOS .. but will most likely be supported in Catalina.

Apple recommends Sapphire branded cards as being the most compatible ...

Best bet is to shop around and see what AMD GPU's are on offer in your area, then search these forums for success (or failure) stories with that particular card. Most AMD cards will work ok but some require more nursing than others.
Avoid XFX RX 460 and 560 as they use a non standard VBIOS.

See this guide for more info and AMD GPU specifics :-

I use a Sapphire Vega 64 LC on my video edit system which has a spec very similar to the one in your hardware profile (See White Knight specs in my sig) and it works great. Use SMBIOS imac15,1 and configure the IGPU to be headless using PlatformID 0x0412000B (see Lilu guide linked above for how to do this).

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Thank you for this VERY informative and through response!! Thank You!!!. Very Helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back