Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Intel NUC5I5MYHE
CPU
I5-5300U
Graphics
HD 5500
Hi Guys I'm a bit new to this, i've read through the combo update thread and i'm struggling a bit.

Specs:

C2D E6300
GA-965p-DS3 v1.0 F14 Bios
Ati X1900Xt
4Gb Ram

iBoot Legacy

I managed to install SL using the PCIRootUID=1 Command

Partitioned and installed windows 7 as well.

Everything was running well (i didn't reboot it before attempting update), I installed the 10.6.8 Combo update and then ran multibeast with the Easybeast install.

Rebooted and it went straight into a black screen, Nothing, no option to change between the installs of OSX or Win 7.

Rebooted with iBoot disk in.. Could only get to the grey apple screen with no spinner and hung. Attempted with -x and PCIRootUID=1 and exactly the same. Got the seemingly issue ridden [PCI Configuration Begin] stall!

Im currently Reinstalling a fresh copy of SL. What can i do differently this time so that everything works ok and i get a successful install?

Thanks for your time!

Re: Combo Update install.

When you update, install and patch to 10.6.7 first, then update to 10.6.8. This has reportedly worked better for some folks.

Before you start, you might want to make sure you have the latest BIOS on your mobo and any firmware updates to your graphics card (if applicable) before installing.

SnapMan said:
When you update, install and patch to 10.6.7 first, then update to 10.6.8. This has reportedly worked better for some folks.

Before you start, you might want to make sure you have the latest BIOS on your mobo and any firmware updates to your graphics card (if applicable) before installing.

Bios is up to date.
I will try the update to 10.6.7 first.
Do i follow the same process and run multibeast (easybeast) after the 10.6.7 combo update. then attemp the 10.6.8 update?

Yes, I suggest getting everything 100% working in 10.6.7 first. Then you can update to 10.6.8 and will probably need to patch at least the sound...maybe more.

You might want to back up your working 10.6.7 installation in the event you run into issues with the 10.6.8 one.

Ok. 10.6.7 Installed and ive run Multibeast (easybeast), Just a couple of issues:

• I cant get my screen to output at 1920x1080 it shows but has black bars at the sides. Having to run at 1680x1050 (ATI X1900, 23" Fujitsu Siemens Amillo Supporting 1920x1080 )[/*:m:157lyxwd]
  • Black screen on boot without iBoot (Legacy) and i still need to use PCIRootUID=1 to get it to boot even when using it. It doesn't show a OS menu either (i'm dual booting win 7). I used multibeast to install chimera and the pcirootuid fix and that leads to the same problems and disable USB so i have to have my ps2 KB plugged in to type PCIRootUID=1 in and boot into the OS [/*:m:157lyxwd]

What can I do to fix the above and prepare to make sure the 10.6.8 combo doesn't bork my system again?

bump for ideas folks?

Jetpac said:
bump for ideas folks?
Replace the 1900xt for a natively supported card?
So you don't have to mess with injecting UUID and gfx info in boot.plist or modifying the ATI kext files in S/L/E to get the 1900xt to work right?

Going Bald said:
Jetpac said:
bump for ideas folks?
So you don't have to mess with injecting UUID and gfx info in boot.plist or modifying the ATI kext files in S/L/E to get the 1900xt to work right?

I wish i had any other cards to try! So i'm going to have to stick to messing with stuff at the moment! :/

Out of curiosity what is the best midrange card that is natively supported? atleast roughly the same power or more so of the x1900xt?

Jetpac said:
Going Bald said:
Jetpac said:
bump for ideas folks?

I wish i had any other cards to try! So i'm going to have to stick to messing with stuff at the moment! :/

Out of curiosity what is the best midrange card that is natively supported? atleast roughly the same power or more so of the x1900xt?
I'm not that familiar with the x1900xt so I can't really say same power. However, I can say that this one, http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Vapor-X- ... 948&sr=8-1 , works OOB with the 10.6.8 update native OS X drivers and graphics enabler = no. You can use DVI+DVI, DVI+HDMI, DVI+DisplayPort or HDMI+DisplayPort and it just works with 1920x1280 resolution. If this is a little more than you want to spend check the wiki wiki/index.php/Graphics_Card_Database and check the specs on the listed cards. Many of them are now unavailable, but you should be able to find something that works in your price range.

the x1900xt is a pretty old card! but i play a few games and dual boot windows so it does the job! That card looks great, but a little way out of my price range! Thanks for the pointers though!

Hopefully i will be able to get a solution on here with my current hardware. I am a relatively newcomer to OSX (We use it in a few lessons at the school i teach at) and i have to say, im really really liking it at the moment!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back