Contribute
Register

Getting Parallels going with an existing dual boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with Dual T
CPU
3.5GHz Intel Core i7
Graphics
EVGA 02G-P4-3658-KR GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST SuperClocked 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Greetings,

I've found a few threads about this issue but none of them seemed to help my specific problem.

I have a hackintosh that dual boots 10.9.2 and windows 7. I'd like to get parallels up and running and be able to run my existing windows installation from inside osx.

Currently, I have a SSD which is partitioned with 200gb for OSX and 40gb for Windows. I also have an HD with 3TB for mac data and another HD with 1tb for windows data.

When I run parallels, I choose the bootcamp option, and I get the message Your virtual machine may run slow because virtualization support is disabled on your mac. I'm using the newest version of Parallels, and I've tried the other various fixes suggested, but I always get that message. When I run parallels, I get the Upgrading my boot camp window and there is a progress bar with "Preparing to configure your virtual machine..." below it. The progress bar always hangs right below the B in Boot Camp.

Anyone have any suggestions?

You've got virtualization support enabled in your BIOS?

If you do this sounds like a question best suited for the Parallels support forum but I'm willing to bet you wouldn't need to even ask, it's probably already been answered there.

Turns out that the virtualization support was indeed off in the bios. I turned it on, and broke my computer completely.

Here's where I'm at now:

I got Parallels running, and it opened up windows, but gave me an error that it couldn't find a system file. I have my windows install on C: but all the user data on D: (my documents, my music, etc) so I wonder if that was the problem.

Anyway, I couldn't get it going with parallels, so I rebooted into windows and got the same error. I did a system restore in windows which brought me back to working and I gave parallels one more go. I got the same error and so I figured I'd do the system restore again and give up on parallels for now, but this time the system restore failed.

Now, the computer boots straight into windows without giving me the mac/windows option, and in windows it goes straight to startup repair, which fails. System restores fail as well, so I'm stuck.

I've unplugged my D drive, which has all my windows data so I'm not terribly worried about losing anything on the windows side. The mac side is another story, so I'm hoping I can get that going again. I'm currently downloading mavericks so I can make a new usb bootloader thing and then I'll go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back