Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys just like to say well done with the work its really awesome,
I'm totally new to this and have just built my computer... I think I have managed to set up the BIOS correctly with help from your guides... Some of what was on the guide didn't quite look the same on my BIOS screen so I did what I could, I then ran iBoot followed by the OS X install DVD etc... I got the logo, partitioned the hard drive etc and completed the install, I managed to update to 10.6.8 and install multibeast, I then did the easybeast bit etc and then rebooted just like it said in the guide... I'm still having dramas... It wont boot from my hard drive... I still have to put in the iBoot disc to get started. Am I missing something here? I don't have any KP's when it loads up. So that's something at least. I think I need to get the ASUS P8P67-MPro Motherboard support DVD installed and set up so I can update the BIOS but when I put the disc in, the autorun doesnt work as I dont think I have set up the drivers to do so and I don't know how to do it. I have the update on a penstick but when I put it into the USB port the system instantly tells me I need to turn the power off and reboot. I am also having trouble getting the graphics card and audio set up :( Like I said i'm a complete newby to this and most of what is said in the forums goes well above my head :D
Any thoughts???
Here is my setup.
ASUS P8P67-MPro Rev 3.0 M-ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i5 2500 Processor
EVGA GeForce GTX550Ti 1GB 192-Bit 3D Ready Graphics Card
Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DIMM 240 Pin- DDR3 RAM + HyperX Cooling Fan
2 x Western Digital Caviar 3TB SATA 6GB/s 64 mb Cache internal Hard Drives
Evo Labs Silent Modular ATX 700w PSU
Samsung SH-B123L 12x Blu Ray Reader & Lightscribe DVD Writer
Aerocool FP-01 Card Reader
All wrapped in the Thermaltake Armor A30 SECC Chassis :D
It's connected by an AVI/HDMI cable to a 40 inch Sony Bravia too.
Any help is greatly appreciated :D

phil-kent29 said:
Hey guys just like to say well done with the work its really awesome,
I'm totally new to this and have just built my computer... I think I have managed to set up the BIOS correctly with help from your guides... Some of what was on the guide didn't quite look the same on my BIOS screen so I did what I could, I then ran iBoot followed by the OS X install DVD etc... I got the logo, partitioned the hard drive etc and completed the install, I managed to update to 10.6.8 and install multibeast, I then did the easybeast bit etc and then rebooted just like it said in the guide... I'm still having dramas... It wont boot from my hard drive... I still have to put in the iBoot disc to get started. Am I missing something here? I don't have any KP's when it loads up. So that's something at least. I think I need to get the ASUS P8P67-MPro Motherboard support DVD installed and set up so I can update the BIOS but when I put the disc in, the autorun doesnt work as I dont think I have set up the drivers to do so and I don't know how to do it. I have the update on a penstick but when I put it into the USB port the system instantly tells me I need to turn the power off and reboot. I am also having trouble getting the graphics card and audio set up :( Like I said i'm a complete newby to this and most of what is said in the forums goes well above my head :D
Any thoughts???
Here is my setup.
ASUS P8P67-MPro Rev 3.0 M-ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i5 2500 Processor
EVGA GeForce GTX550Ti 1GB 192-Bit 3D Ready Graphics Card
Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DIMM 240 Pin- DDR3 RAM + HyperX Cooling Fan
2 x Western Digital Caviar 3TB SATA 6GB/s 64 mb Cache internal Hard Drives
Evo Labs Silent Modular ATX 700w PSU
Samsung SH-B123L 12x Blu Ray Reader & Lightscribe DVD Writer
Aerocool FP-01 Card Reader
All wrapped in the Thermaltake Armor A30 SECC Chassis :D
It's connected by an AVI/HDMI cable to a 40 inch Sony Bravia too.
Any help is greatly appreciated :D

I have somehow managed to update the BIOS on my MB :D
Have been scratching my head for the last 3 days with no sleep, I have tried everything I can to get this SL to boot from HDD. Still no joy.... Have Re-Installed it so many times and each time the KP's get worse... I am about to install the 10.6.8 update again now with the BIOS updated... I hope this works cos my eyes are bleedin. :D

Oooooh just a quick question... Right at the beginning it says to go into the BIOS and have the CD/DVD Drive as the primary boot and the HDD you use for SL as the secondary boot option... Do I need to change this to HDD as primary after the Re-Boot in order for it to boot up straight from the HDD without the need for the iBoot CD??? As previously it just keeps going back to the MB screen!!!

Again many thanks for all the work :D

OK so the 10.6.8 update has been done :D now for the moment of truth to see if it boots SL straight from the HDD :D
Fingers crossed :D

Hmmmm Well, still no joy with the booting from the HDD... However at least it's booting up with no KP from the iBoot disk.

Anybody any idea on what I should be doing now? I'm fresh out of ideas and dont want to start farting around with it in case I do something silly and end up having to go through all of this drama yet again!!!

Have you tried the standalone Chimera installer from the downloads section?

Hey,

I have a similiar board. (P8P67 Pro 3.1) and have successfully installed Lion , I see no reason why shouldn't be able to install SL on your rig. Only major difference in our machines is our GFX cards. If it boots with iBoot we should be able to get it working after installing Easybeast. I would say your next step should be to install Multibeast using Easy beast option and restart and tell us what happens....

Now very important... which drive have you installed SL too? Give me a layout of your drives, I noticed you have 2X3TB drives... do you also have windows installed on either of these drives? The reason I asked is because my main boot up drive is a 120 SSD, but I have Lion installed on a secondary drive, so if I want to boot to Lion i need to go into Bios settings and choose that as my boot up drive... if your board is the same as mine when you go into Bios on the main screen on the right hand side it has a boot up drive selector (I think you can also hit F8 on this screen) and that's where I have to click to my Lion install to get to the bootloader. So.. if you haven't installed it on the main boot drive then this could be your issue.

phil-kent29 said:
OK so the 10.6.8 update has been done :D now for the moment of truth to see if it boots SL straight from the HDD :D
Fingers crossed :D

Hmmmm Well, still no joy with the booting from the HDD... However at least it's booting up with no KP from the iBoot disk.

Anybody any idea on what I should be doing now? I'm fresh out of ideas and dont want to start farting around with it in case I do something silly and end up having to go through all of this drama yet again!!!
you list 2 x Western Digital Caviar 3TB SATA 6GB/s 64 mb Cache internal Hard Drives
is your boot partition on one of these drives?
2 things on the boot from HDD
1. is your boot partition less than 1 Tb?
2. Large HDD with advanced format problem is a known problem - see http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/issues/129/

Hellooooooo :D

Cheers guys for your help much appreciated.

@ Jester... I haven't tried the stand alone Chimera installer from the down loads section yet. Should I? The thing is it boots up no problem with the iBoot disk which is better than before as I kept getting KPs. If I download and install the Chimera installer will it give me problems?

@ methvenc... When it first tells you to partition the drives, I went into the disk utility and partitioned 1 drive into 4 parts and the other into 2 parts like this.
1st drive. 1 part @ 250Gb (for SL) 1 part @ 750Gb (for Applications) 1 part @ 1Tb (for Media Photos) and 1 Part @1Tb (for Media Music)
2nd drive. 1 part @ 1Tb (for Media TV/Series) and 1 part @ 2Tb (for Media Movies).
I then selected the 1st drive and the partiton of 250Gb to install SL.
In the BIOS I set the boot priority as 1 CD/DVD Drive, 2 HDD, I haven't changed that priority as noone has indicated to do so.
When I boot up with out the iBoot disc and this HDD as the other boot option all I get is a flashing _ in the top left hand corner but when I went into my BIOS and tried changing the boot drive to the other HDD and re booted it came up with this:
boot0:GPT
boot0:test
boot0:GPT
boot0:error
What does this mean? Does it mean that the drive I was trying to boot from was the wrong one and I have now selected the right one?
And no it's a completely brand new set up so has no windows or anything buddy.

@ Going Bald... As above mate the boot partition is on one of the drives of which I installed SL on the 1 with the 250Gb partition.

I will get there by hook or by crook LOL :D It's a good job i'm very patient and have a sense of humour :D
Again all your help is greatly appreciated :D

The problem with the large drives is that the boot1h file isn't staying in the partition MBR like it is supposed to. You have to install it manually with the Linux dd command due to some problem with the OS X dd command not working properly. See the link I posted.
You can copy the boot1h file to a USB from /user/standalone/i386 if you have already run MultiBeast with either EasyBeast or UserDSDT checked

Going Bald said:
The problem with the large drives is that the boot1h file isn't staying in the partition MBR like it is supposed to. You have to install it manually with the Linux dd command due to some problem with the OS X dd command not working properly. See the link I posted.
You can copy the boot1h file to a USB from /user/standalone/i386 if you have already run MultiBeast with either EasyBeast or UserDSDT checked

Hello mate cheers for the reply,
I am just so dumb when it comes to this stuff so i'm about to make myself look soo stupid... I understand that I need to copy the boot1h file to a USB but how do I find the /user/standalone/i383... I dont know what that means. and what do I do with the file once its on the USB? am I really that dumb? (don't answer that lol :D)

cheers again buddy i'm picking it up slowly

@ Going Bald

Ok so I found the file and have saved it to my USB via my laptop.

I'm guessing I need to boot up my hackintosh and put in the USB but what do I do from there?

cheers for taking the time out to help its greatly appreciated dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back