HD 4600
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Portable
  3. SE
Hi

I first "constructed" this Hackintosh a couple of years ago, and promptly went back to my Mac Pro cause I needed FireWire, and I was unable to get a suitable FW card... :(

Anyway, the Mac Pro decided to "cark it" :( today, and I'm trying to get my Hack2 back up and running.

The setup is:

GA-H87N-WIFI v1.1
Intel Core i3-4340 3.60 GHz
Intel HD Graphics 4600 1536 MB
DDR3-1600 8GB x 2

High Sierra 10.13.6

Everything seems to be working fine, if I use one screen connected via DVI-D->DVI-D to a Asus V248 display

If I connect a second V248 display to the Hack2 via either HDMI->HDMI or HDMI->DVI-D, if the Hack2 goes to sleep, as often as not, the Hack2 Kernel Panics on wake from sleep.

I tried connecting the 2 displays via HDMI->HDMI, but that is equally unreliable.

If I remember correctly, these are the settings I used in MultiBeast:

Quick Start > Clover UEFI Boot Mode
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > ALC892
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC Plugins
Drivers > Misc > Core Graphics Fixup AKA WhateverGreen
Drivers > Network > Atheros > AtherosE2200Ethernet v2.2.2
Drivers > Network > Intel > IntelMausiEthernet v2.4.0
Bootloaders > Clover UEFI Boot Mode
Customize > System Definitions > iMac > iMac 14,2

And my memory is very fuzzy, but iirc the BIOS is unedited ? (I think.... It's been so long, and I can't find any notes)

Do I have a setting wrong ?

I've looked through the guides here on TonyMac, but I can't see anything that leaps out and smacks me upside the head like a dead kipper and I can go "Ah, thats what I need"

Does anyone else here have a H87N MoBo and HS 10.13.6 and 2 displays, or knows where I should look for inspiration ?

I do still have the GT 120 graphics card from the Mac Pro.
Could I somehow reuse that, maybe ?
Then I could connect both displays via DVI-D ?
What would I need to do, to make that work ? Could it work ?

Please treat me gently, my brain isn't the sharpest.... (Jello is smarter / sharper than me, these days...)

tia

Pete...

Last edited:
What is your version of Clover, maybe you need an update? Are you doing vanilla install or using LE/SLE kexts? I have an H87N, give me a day to pull it out and see what the settings are...

What is your version of Clover, maybe you need an update? Are you doing vanilla install or using LE/SLE kexts? I have an H87N, give me a day to pull it out and see what the settings are...

Thanks @phunguss

I've been using the Clover that comes with MultiBeast 10.4.0, which is Clover EFI v2.4k r4630.

Thinking it might be "kext related" I've tried most recent builds of Lilu v1.4.9 & WhateverGreen v1.4.4
(Thinking WhateverGreen might be the culprit ?)
Replacing the Lilu & WhateverGreen MultiBeast installed in /L/E/
(I use KextBeast so the permissions etc are "happy", and I rebuild the kext caches.)

But I haven't had any luck.

As soon as I try waking Hack2. "BOOM!", it Kernel Panics and it reboots.

To lessen the chances of "old cruft" hanging about I've been trying to diagnose the issue using a fresh build/install of High Sierra 10.13.6 and MultiBeast 10.4.0, but to no avail.

I've considered using Clover Configurator and updating the EFI to the latest Clover, but that stuff has me totally baffled. I can't seem to find a "Moron's Guide to Clover Configurator" that dumbs it down enough, that I can follow.

Looking forward to seeing what light you may be able to shed...

cheers

furbies

Last edited:
further:

I've been poking around in the EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist and I see a few references to HDMI (kinda)

Under:
ACPI : DSDT : #DropOEM_DSM : HDMI = True
ACPI : DSDT : Fixes : AddHDMI = False
Devices : UseIntelHDMI = False

Should I try editing these ?

If there was only one, I'd try but as there's three, who knows what combination might work ?

And I don't know what else may need to edited in the config.plist as well for it to work...

and even further down the rabbit hole, and no 'shrooms' to soften the ride...

And in a moment of "WtF !", I moved the HDMI cable from "outside" most HDMI port to the "inner" port, and tried again, and I'm typing this after a successful wake from sleep.

Is it just possible that one of the HDMI ports isn't supported, but the other one is ?

Well, now to let Hack2 go off to sleep again, and see....

(fingers crossed)

Update #1:

and this log entry is after another successful sleep/wake cycle.
But I'm not going to count my chickens yet.
Going to let Hack2 sleep, and wake for many cycles to confirm....

I'm sure that I tried both HDMI ports earlier on, in the saga of "få två skärmar att fungera" or, in english "get two displays to work" (Well, thats how Google translates it...)

Or maybe it took a combination of updating Lilu & WhateverGreen, and selecting the right HDMI port...

I also added the most recent build of AppleALC.kext to /L/E/ as well, as it's mentioned in the FAQ for WhateverGreen on GitHub.

Maybe, while I'm on a roll, I'll take a crack at getting full USB3 enabled.
Currently, only the front bottom USB3 port is full on USB3 speed. the rest of the USB3 ports are maxing out at USB2 speed

Update #2:

And after a shutdown, and start up, Hack2 has successfully gone to sleep, and been woken up. Once.
Now to let it sleep / wake a few more times....

And then if all is well, install the waiting updates from Apple:
iTunes 12.8.2
iTunes Device Support Update
Safari 13.1.2
Security Update 2020-005 10.13.6

(edited to add more info)

Last edited:
@phunguss

I don't know if you've read my replies yet or not, but just in case ?:

I would really like to know what you find out.
It's more than a little possible that I will find out something doesn't work as expected and your discoveries may illuminate the way...

cheers

furbies

@furbies I just pulled out my mobo, it is an H87N (non-wifi, although parts from an H97N-wifi were added to it to make it wifi)... The boot drive I have configured has both Mojave and Catalina on it, as I had added an NVIDIA GT730 to it. I will have to do a couple tests to see what happens when I boot without the card installed and use the onboard IGPU. Not sure of the processor I have on it yet.

ok @furbies I have attached my EFI folder. It boots High Sierra on CPU graphics HD 4600 (not Mojave that I mentioned in the last post) and Catalina (only with the GT730 installed). Pics attached.

Bios: F5 (2015)
Clover: 5107
MacOS: 10.13.6 (17G65)
SMBIOS: iMac14,2
CPU: i7-4790

IMG_9052s.jpgIMG_9057s.jpgIMG_9062s.jpgIMG_9063s.jpgIMG_9067s.jpgIMG_9068s.jpgIMG_9069s.jpgIMG_9070s.jpg

@furbies you might have to use an older version of Clover Configurator to tweak the CPU or Intel GFX. Hackintool is a great utility as well. There are lots of posts here to guide you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back