i5-6400
Graphics
Red Devil Radeon 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
It’s requirement is a metal gpu I have a Radeon rx 5500xt but getting black screen on high Sierra

Is there a trick to be able to get the firmware to be able to update. I tried going right to Catalina but some reason it won’t mount apfs

Thanks may be in wrong place sorry

Catalina isn't officially supported by the Mac Pro 5,1, although it will work. The new firmware should install with the High Sierra installer. After the firmware installs, APFS booting will be available. Unfortunately I believe that you need your original video card for the update to work. Hopefully you have one around still. After you get Catalina running, you can use Opencore to get your boot screen back with the new card.

I have the Video card that was ordered with it. My mom purchased it firsthand think it’s a amd 1gb but it’s not metal. So when I try to get the latest firmware like 148.00.00 but keeps asking for a metal card. After I put high Serra back on and got it to apfs now But can’t use my new card cuz it stays black screen

okay. So the firmware from High Sierra that enables booting from APFS has been installed correct? You should have been given a prompt. If that has been done, you will be able to move on to the next step. You'll need to make a special Catalina installer. a quick google search for "installing Catalina on unsupported Macs" will give you a utility to do so.

Yea it’s been installed correctly. And made a boot usb for Catalina. But keep getting reboots with 2 minutes remaining and been have been doing it for a couple hours now.

And when installing I’ve noticed mine stays the white screen doesn’t go dark like some of the other videos I have watched using the dudes1 unsupported installer. Not sure if I’m doing something wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back