EVGA GeForce GTX 550ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I did several searches but did not find any discussion of this:

I just completed a successful Build, one of my parts was a tray less hot swap rack.. Kingwin KF-252. this is the type that accepts 2.5 or 3.5 sata drives... they slide about halfway in, a great way for quick access to a naked drive. The connections are just pass thru.. so no on board controllers.

I could not get a drive installed in the Kingwin to mount, I had always inserted drives once the system was booted. By chance I left the drive in, and it mounted after startup... but without an eject symbol next to it in finder. I looked through the bios settings and found where to enable hot swap. so I rebooted with no drive in the rack, inserted my sata drive into it... and it showed in the finder with the eject icon. Great a step forward, but when I dismounted and removed it, I could not get another drive to mount... it was looking the first one. I can remount the first drive I install in that session only if I use disk utility to re-mount it, but not another one until I power down. So I can mount and dismount ONE drive per session.

I was going to say that I've always used these kind of hot swap devices in macs, but I realize that they have always been in a device connected via a USB or Firewire bus.... so I guess I haven't really done that.

Is anyone using a hot swap tray connected to internal sata?

I don’t know if you resolve this problem it’s from 2012 eight years ago. I’m not sure what the difference is on the various builds between my install of Yosemite, El Capitan , Sierra and high Sierra but ... with my sierra build I am able to hot plug-in hot-swappable drives I have six drivebays. I can eject the disc from OS X and everything is fine but for some reason in high Sierra a hot swap is not working. I don’t know if it has to do with third-party SATA KEXT Being installed or not installed I can’t figure it out.But it’s working with Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back