Graphics
XForce
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi, I have a gigabyte ga-x58a-ud3r revision 1.0, I have 2 1tb drives that I am trying to put a stripe together so I can access it in both mac and windows. I have a softraid so I need the software to get the raid in mac os x to work. Has anyone been able to do this? Any suggestions on where I could look toward what I want to do?

Can you create a RAID at BIOS/UEFI level? Might be worth trying that and seeing how OS X and Windows see the volumes when you come to install them. In theory they should see them as a single volume.

If that doesn't work you may need to try a hardware solution and invest in a dedicated RAID controller card, though I have no idea how that'll handle both OS's on the same system.

I dont believe so.

You will not be able to get one software Raid for two totally different OS. You will need to strip them by hardware, BUT maybe OSX or Windows will not be able to boot it.

What Dschijn sed!
Ain't gonna work without a hardware RAID controller hiding the details from the operating systems.

Can you create a RAID at BIOS/UEFI level?
Most motherboards don't have hardware RAID. Many motherboards have "RAID" but it's only a boot-strap to the Windows RAID drivers and doesn't work in other operating systems.

So I took a risk today and bought a sata raid pci express card at a local computer store that had a driver for both windows and mac os x and it works. Here is the card for those who want to be able to do this. http://www.sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=729

It is a raid card because I was able to do a raid stripe 0 on my drives. And my mistake i thought the x in pci-x meant express.

My mistake then. When it said "PCI-X 32/64-bit Host Controller Card with Software RAID" I assumed that meant it wasn't hardware RAID...

Even if it was hardware RAId, isn't the theoretical bandwidth of a PCI-X card in your motherboard's PCI slot (with the extra connector hanging over the end of the PCI slot as it's not PCI-X) 133 MB/s? Not very useful for a RAID controller these days (as many single drives go faster than that) unless you don't care about speed and just want the data protection.

Is that actually the card you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back