Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
Hi.

I tried the new GenericUSBXHCI.kext from Zenith432, version 1.20d6 (The one included in the 5.3.0 MultiBeast pack)
I'm sorry to report that my USB 3.0 ports work... ONLY ONCE ! ON BOOT When I boot, the drive is recognized. But each time I go to sleep or I unmount any kind of USB Drive on those ports, they break untill the next startup. Impossible to remount a drive on those ports !

I tried with a mouse, a WD My Passport HDD and my UniBeast USB Thumb Drive. To no avail.

I'm on the GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 motherboard (6-series) with a ETRON EJ168 chip.

Anybody has a solution ? Am I alone in the dark with this issue, or are there others out there ?

Thanks,
Clovel

Hi.

I tried the new GenericUSBXHCI.kext from Zenith432, version 1.20d6 (The one included in the 5.3.0 MultiBeast pack)
I'm sorry to report that my USB 3.0 ports work... ONLY ONCE ! ON BOOT When I boot, the drive is recognized. But each time I go to sleep or I unmount any kind of USB Drive on those ports, they break untill the next startup. Impossible to remount a drive on those ports !

I tried with a mouse, a WD My Passport HDD and my UniBeast USB Thumb Drive. To no avail.

I'm on the GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 motherboard (6-series) with a ETRON EJ168 chip.

Anybody has a solution ? Am I alone in the dark with this issue, or are there others out there ?

Thanks,
Clovel

There are some boot options related to sleep with this kext documented by Zenith432.
See: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286860-genericusbxhci-usb-30-driver-for-os-x-with-source/

Hi Clovel,

Do you get full 3.0 speed with this driver, or just functional ports? I only get the latter (which is, of course, still an improvement).

Thanks,
Q

My build - GA-Z68XP-UD3 running 10.8.4 - has a similar issue using the GenericUSBXHCI.kext from MB.
The rear USB3 ports on the MotherBoard work fine with and without powered external hard drives. :headbang:

The issues are the front panel USB3 ports. Powered external USB3 hard drives work fine but at times when awakened from sleep the warning window will appear that "The HD has been disconnected improperly..." The HD icon will be removed from the finder windows, but the desktop icon is still visible and contents of the HD can be accessed. After a while the external HD icon reappears on the finder window.

The other issue with the front panel USB3 ports is that it will NOT work with non-powered HD. But will charge my iPhone and launch iTunes automatically.

Clovel>Which I solved using a non-generic kext, The PXHCD.kext, patch by Skork (I think).

I just installed PXHCD.kext now.... too early to know about the dismounting during sleep issue but the kext does not solve the lack of power for non-powered HD with the front ports.

Using MulitiBeast's GenericUSBXHCI.kext my iPhone worked fine. Using Stork's PXHCD.kext iTunes does not launch automatically when the iPhone is attached and iTunes does not see my iPhone using PXHCD.kext. Though the iPhone will charge using PXHCD.kext and can be seen by the System Report.

Anyway I'm gonna give Stork's PXHCD.kext a few days and see if it solves the dismount from sleep.

If anyone has a better USB3 kext or a work around please chime in!

Thanks,

John V.

Update... I went back to GenericUSBXHCI.kext from Multi-Beast 5.3.1... as overnight all the external USB3 drives unmounted completely using Stork's PXHCD.kext. That reason and as previously posted "Using Stork's PXHCD.kext iTunes does not launch automatically when the iPhone is attached and iTunes does not see my iPhone using PXHCD.kext."

GenericUSBXHCI.kext works better overall though not perfect! I also found I was using an older FakeSMC.kext so I updated to the latest. We'll see if that helps at all!

I finally found the USB3 kext that works 100% with my build! Also make sure you have the latest FakeSMC.kext installed... seems MultiBeast 5.3.1 has a newer version than previous and last time I checked the build notes did not mention the newer Fake.SMC.kext. The newest FakeSMC.kext seemed to help USB3 issues just in general before downloading the below.

Go to http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286860-genericusbxhci-usb-30-driver-for-os-x-with-source/ and download Binaries v1.2.4 Install using your favorite kext installer! That's it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back