CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
Hey there,

So this is just a general graphics question I had. I never fully understood why laptops with nvidia gfx cards had to use their integrated intel ones instead. I've seen many macbooks with nvidia gfx cards such as this :http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...l-graphics-mid-2014-retina-display-specs.html

The graphics card is also very similar to mine (GT740M). So why exactly can we not get our dedicated gfx cards working?

Thanks!

Hey there,

So this is just a general graphics question I had. I never fully understood why laptops with nvidia gfx cards had to use their integrated intel ones instead. I've seen many macbooks with nvidia gfx cards such as this :http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...l-graphics-mid-2014-retina-display-specs.html

The graphics card is also very similar to mine (GT740M). So why exactly can we not get our dedicated gfx cards working?

Thanks!

It is not dedicated. It is switched. The discrete graphics device in a switched dual-GPU configuration cannot be used in OS X. It is because Macs use different switching technology than PCs.

It is not dedicated. It is switched. The discrete graphics device in a switched dual-GPU configuration cannot be used in OS X. It is because Macs use different switching technology than PCs.

Oh damn, do you know any laptops that use a dedicated gfx card that works with hackintosh?

Oh damn, do you know any laptops that use a dedicated gfx card that works with hackintosh?

There are very few. I'm not maintaining a list of them.

There are very few. I'm not maintaining a list of them.

Ok is there a way you can tell? Like if i was looking at a laptops specs could i determine if its video card would work or not?

Ok is there a way you can tell? Like if i was looking at a laptops specs could i determine if its video card would work or not?

If the specs are accurate, when only nvidia or only Radeon is listed, then the discrete graphics are dedicated. If they list both Intel HD and the discrete device, then it is usually switched (non-switched dual-GPU laptops are rare).

The problem is you can't rely on the specs published by a manufacturer being accurate. Best to look at 'lspci -nn' output (on Linux) on the actual machine. Or look at Device Manager under Windows.

If the specs are accurate, when only nvidia or only Radeon is listed, then the discrete graphics are dedicated. If they list both Intel HD and the discrete device, then it is usually switched (non-switched dual-GPU laptops are rare).

The problem is you can't rely on the specs published by a manufacturer being accurate. Best to look at 'lspci -nn' output (on Linux) on the actual machine. Or look at Device Manager under Windows.

Hmm okay sounds good because i'm doing something really dumb, selling my hp hackintosh laptop that has everything working flawlessly but I need more gfx power so i'll use your advice in finding one with a compatible gpu ! Thanks!

Hmm okay sounds good because i'm doing something really dumb, selling my hp hackintosh laptop that has everything working flawlessly but I need more gfx power so i'll use your advice in finding one with a compatible gpu ! Thanks!

Your best option is to buy a Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back