Contribute
Register

GeForce GTX 680 Mac Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's for marketing purpose. For a Mac customer who is not in the business of a Custom Mac will buy this card. For Custom Mac builders it makes no sense to buy this card, it's actually a downgrade!
I got my own custom mac with this same video card EVGA 680 SC 02G-P4-2684-KR, Mobo ASUS P8Z68-V Pro and CPU Intel i7 2600K

Comparing Specs

MAC 680
PCI Express 2.0 Video Card
Core Clock 1006MHz
Boost Clock 1058MHz
Effective Memory Clock 6008MHz

PC 680
PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Core Clock 1058MHz
Boost Clock 1124MHz
Effective Memory Clock 6208MHz

YES CAN'T WAIT UNTIL APRIL 8. Not because I want the card.

I WANT THE DRIVERS! Apple will fianlly support this card. Hopefully my performance will improve? This is excellent news!!!

Do you guys think our current 680's will run better? Mabey we will get driver support for ;
1. NVIDIA GPU Boost Technology - Dynamically maximises clock speeds to push performance to new levels and bring out the best in every game.
2. Support for four concurrent displays; two dual-link DVI connectors, HDMI and DisplayPort 1.1
3. NVIDIA SMX Engine - Brand new processing engine which delivers twice the performance/watt compared to previous generations.
4. NVIDIA CUDA Technology - Unlocks the power of the GPU's processor cores to accelerate the most demanding tasks such as video transcoding, physics simulation, ray tracing and more.
5. OpenGL 3.2 (4.3 in Windows) Support - Support for the most widely-used open graphics standard in the world.
6. OpenCL Support - Supports the latest standards in GPGPU computing.
7. Boot Camp Support - Full support for Microsoft Windows operating system in Apple Boot Camp.

Natively in OS X?

It's for marketing purpose. For a Mac customer who is not in the business of a Custom Mac will buy this card. For Custom Mac builders it makes no sense to buy this card, it's actually a downgrade!
I got my own custom mac with this same video card EVGA 680 SC 02G-P4-2684-KR, Mobo ASUS P8Z68-V Pro and CPU Intel i7 2600K

Comparing Specs

MAC 680
PCI Express 2.0 Video Card
Core Clock 1006MHz
Boost Clock 1058MHz
Effective Memory Clock 6008MHz

PC 680
PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Core Clock 1058MHz
Boost Clock 1124MHz
Effective Memory Clock 6208MHz

The difference is that particular model is factory over clocked. The Mac edition card from EVGA has the default reference clocks per nVidia's guidelines. There is no real down grade for the Mac edition.

The only difference between the Mac and PC edition is that the Mac edition appears to be limited to PCI-e 2.0 speeds. Considering the issues that the GTX 680 has had operating at PCI-E 3.0 speeds even on PC's, I don't see this as a major issue. In addition, there are no Mac Pro's capable of PCI-e 3.0 speeds on the market at this time and any imminent upgrade to the Mac Pro's would use the same chips that have issues running at PCI-E 3.0 speeds. EVGA is playing it safe.

YES CAN'T WAIT UNTIL APRIL 8. Not because I want the card.
I WANT THE DRIVERS! Apple will fianlly support this card. Hopefully my performance will improve? This is excellent news!!!

The drivers are likely the same as the ones included in OS X 10.8.3. At the very least, future OS X updates will include support.

The real novelty would be this cards ROM image as this could lead to flashing of PC based cards. With some ROM editing, this could enable 4 GB cards down the road.

Would this card work in a Thunderbolt expansion chassis connected to a mac mini>????

So what card is the best bang for the buck to upgrade a Mac Pro 4,1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back