Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,
I have just wanted to try out multi monitor support and situation is following:
If one monitor is attached via VGA port, everything works fine.
When I attach a second one via DVI, screen goes black on the VGA one and on the DVI connected one I can see black background and mouse cursor, but I cannot do anything. When I unplug the DVI monitor again, the VGA monitor shows just blue background and everything frozes.

Other that this issue I am getting everything - QE, games, Aero in win7 via vmware fusion; everything is ok.

I have found on some other forums that I need to put in some EFI string, but I am not sure in which "state" is my graphics setup now - I have followed the USB flashdrive install method, I have not done anything else to get graphics going.

System profiler reports:
Unknown:

Chipset Model: Unknown
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB - wrong info here, mine is only 512MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0641
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: xx.xx.xx - internal
Displays:
LE22A3:
Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Display Connector:

If your 9400 is like mine, and you're on 10.6.2, you may need to replace these 2 kexts with the ones from 10.6.1. This gave me mirroring on my card, although it is DVI/VGA/TV-OUT in the rear.

Public/10.6.1%20Graphics%20Kexts-9400GT%20.zip

rushko said:
U have Graphics Enabler set to 'Yes'? If that's not working, try installing NVEnabler64bit.kext.
Yes, I do

thelostswede said:
I will, thanks for the link!

tonymacx86 said:
If your 9400 is like mine...
I think you have a 1gb version, mine is only 512MB... but I am looking for dual screen, not just for mirroring.

.. so as a conclusion - I am ordering new hdd so I can do full backup and I will play around with EFI strings to get that going.

By the way, I have installed the DSDT fix for my motherboard from the MultiBeast, but is it the right one for me? For which bios version is that designed?

zard said:
rushko said:
U have Graphics Enabler set to 'Yes'? If that's not working, try installing NVEnabler64bit.kext.
Yes, I do

thelostswede said:
I will, thanks for the link!

tonymacx86 said:
If your 9400 is like mine...
I think you have a 1gb version, mine is only 512MB... but I am looking for dual screen, not just for mirroring.

.. so as a conclusion - I am ordering new hdd so I can do full backup and I will play around with EFI strings to get that going.

By the way, I have installed the DSDT fix for my motherboard from the MultiBeast, but is it the right one for me? For which bios version is that designed?

Your card is the same chip as mine, just different manufacturers/ins and outs. I don't see why it wouldn't work the same in OS X with NVenabler- I can do dual screens from DVI and VGA- but only with those 2 kexts from 10.6.1. I tried every option- believe me- it's the only one that works. If you do come up with a better way- post it here! I'd love to see it.

As far as the DSDT goes, the one in the MultiBeast and DSDT Database is from December 14th- bios F4. It should be updated- if you can boot without DSDT, and get a vanilla extract of the latest bios version (F5), I'll do a set of fresh edits. Let me know.

Vanilla extract... :lol:

Ok,
I have found out that my bios was only F3 - so I updated to F4 in order to just simply use the DSDT you have provided.
I have done that and I am glad to say that it has fixed issues with sleep, my computer now sleeps just fine. I was also able to remove some other kexts, I think the only ones I use now are the fakesmc, PlatformUUID and EvoReboot.

I was less successful with the graphics - I was not able to get acceleration with anything but the graphics enabler in chameleon. In one of the cases I did get proper resolution, but still no acceleration (no ripples on dashboard).

Any advise? I have not tried putting my graphics info into the DSDT, could that be different? Might I get more luck with capturing my own strings via IORegistry explorer, or are they being injected by graphicsenabler?

I have just done that and the result is the same as with GraphicsEnabler. One news though - my EFI string tests need to be re-done, I have been suspicious about everything reporting my card as a 1gb one, so I looked inside my machine - and it really is 1gb. Quite funny, I have double checked my order and I did order the 512mb version, I guess it was not worth telling me that they gave me an upgrade :)

So results so far - EFI string tests are invalid, but NVEnabler gives me the same issue - dvi port just does not work. I have tried it on two separate LCDs, could it maybe be a cable? It works fine on boot screen and in chameleon, it stops working when os finishes booting and switches on the logon window.

zard said:
I have just done that and the result is the same as with GraphicsEnabler. One news though - my EFI string tests need to be re-done, I have been suspicious about everything reporting my card as a 1gb one, so I looked inside my machine - and it really is 1gb. Quite funny, I have double checked my order and I did order the 512mb version, I guess it was not worth telling me that they gave me an upgrade :)

So results so far - EFI string tests are invalid, but NVEnabler gives me the same issue - dvi port just does not work. I have tried it on two separate LCDs, could it maybe be a cable? It works fine on boot screen and in chameleon, it stops working when os finishes booting and switches on the logon window.

Sometimes you'll have to add stuff to NVEnabler to make it mirror screens- check this version out- it's the one I use. I edited it for 9400 GT, and totally forgot about it- made a mistake and originally included this version in MultiBeast, but since then have changed it back to default. It's got some display info injected, as they recommend in the official thread:
http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=370

Attachments

• NVEnabler 64.kext-9400GT.zip
    27.5 KB · Views: 99
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back