Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
I still didn't
CPU
read the
Graphics
Rules!
Hey,

I've read a lot of threads here about thunderbolt issue, and none solved my problem. So I was just wondering:
Has anyone got hot swappable thunderbolt working on GA-Z97X-UD7 TH based Yosemite?

My build:
GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
EVGA NVIDIA GTX 760
Intel i7-4770k
Corsair 8GBx4
the rest is not important...

I got all working except thunderbolt. It only works when device turned on before boot. Otherwise no go. And thunderbolt doesn't work as mini-display port for monitor in my case either.

I tried install windows on a secondary drive with MB drives installed, and tried thunderbolt delay fix (removing AppleThunderboltNHI.kext) but didn't change a thing. My BIOS setting is on thunderbolt Legacy mode.

Would be really appreciate if anyone could share experience.

Thanks!

Ziyun

AFAIK, no one has figured out how to make hot swappability work yet. The recommended thing to do is delete AppleThunderboltNHI.kext to speed up booting as OS X can't load that kext on a hackintosh yet.

Unfortunately, the NHI is what controls hot swapping. Because that kext can't/won't load, hot swapping is not supported.

From what I have read, linux drivers programmers realized Apple encodes hot swappability into the driver instead of the thunderbolt firmware as the thunderbolt standards state to. As a result, AppleThunderboltNHI.kext probably won't load until we figure out how to re-flash the Apple thunderbolt firmware onto our thunderbolt chips. Some speculate extra EFI parts may also be required.

Thanks for the information. That makes a lot of sense. I guess I'll just wait then.

By the way, do you know how to enable 5.1 on-board sound? or do you think a sound card would work for Yosemite, 5.1 sound-wise?

Thank you!!

Glad I could help. Your sound question would be best handled in the Audio forum, and I see you have a thread going in there already: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/

Yes I have thread there too. Just wanted to grab you in case you know it. Lol

Thanks again!

Actually I can turn off and turn on again my audio interface just fine. it's firewire but plugged in via a TB adapter to the mobo...

But plugging the cable out doesn't... Then I need to restart the hack...

I'm using the latest version of clover though...

How were you able to do this? I have my firewire audio interface plugged into my mobo's thunderbolt port via a firewire/thunderbolt adapter. I have to keep my interface on before I boot up and it is not swappable once booted in. Would be nice if I can get it working...

How were you able to do this? I have my firewire audio interface plugged into my mobo's thunderbolt port via a firewire/thunderbolt adapter. I have to keep my interface on before I boot up and it is not swappable once booted in. Would be nice if I can get it working...

Same problem here (using the Asus Thunderbolt EX add-on card).

I use the OWC Thunderbolt Dock which provides USB / FW / Ethernet etc.

The problem isn't really that the Dock as a TB device isn't hot-pluggable.

More inconvenient is that anything (FW / USB) plugged into the dock isn't hot swappable either ! This isn't just at a Thunderbolt device level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back