Contribute
Register

GA-Z97X-UD7 TH (rev. 1.0) Success with OS do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The in-chip HD 4600 does NOT work with this motherboard, nor have I found a way to make it work. I always intended to use my Geforce 660 Ti... so I didn't notice the HD 4600 wasn't working until later on.

Everything else more or less works except power management. Even Thunderbolt devices work, although OS X thinks they are PCI/PCIe cards, not Thunderbolt devices.

I did my first install using a method that cannot be discussed in these forums. After I jacked up my first install trying to fix Thunderbolt, I re-installed using UniBeast and it seemed to work okay, but I didn't do much in-depth testing. At the moment I'm trying to install w/ Clover, but running into a DRM issue.

EDIT: forgot to mention. Installed 10.9.0 and updated to 10.9.3. SMBIOS iMac 14,1.

Yes, I can confirm that this board does work. You really have to be mindful of the drivers and the patching because these z97X boards are really touchy! BIOS setting are critical - and I noticed - they didn't save as they should have the first time around. This caused significant issues during the first half of my testing phase - and hence - why I had so many reboots.

I'm not trying to be ungrateful, but not everybody who comes to these forums has read every detail of every post on the site... although I have read all of this thread.

You guys have had a tendency to leave a LOT of stuff out, which I have no choice but to think are things that YOU think everyone else knows... but we don't. Since I (and others) were planning to buy this board, a lot more detail would be very appreciated.

Example: what drivers, specifically? It's all nice to say you must to be careful about the drivers. But it would be about 100 times more useful to other people if you described exactly what those drivers ARE. It's good to know the BIOS settings need to be just right... but what are those settings?

Not a complaint, just an observation. If we're here to help each other, can we actually help each other, rather than being unnecessarily cryptic?

The biggest issue is the BIOS on this motherboard. Go back and make sure it is set up properly and saved properly.

Do you have thunderbolt enabled, internal graphics = disabled so that your graphics card can take over? Turn off everything else that isn't related to the mac operating system - but do allow for custom over clocking and such. My Mavericks install is the same as everyone else - but I had to reinstall the drivers again as I kept getting the "crash window" - my computer is running as a Mac Pro.

But after 5 attempts - I finally managed to get the motherboard working minus the onboard graphics from the Haswell chip. No idea how to fix this. Thunderbolt is working but won't hot swap yet. I'm working on this. So far the computer starts up like a Mac. Firewire, eSata, USB3.0, USB2.0 and Thunderbolt work.

But you keep saying "drivers". What drivers are these that you had to reinstall?

The only "driver" I have ever had to install on my Mac (and I have been using one for years) was the driver for my AWUS036NH external USB network adapter.

Edit: that' not completely true. I had to install a "driver" for Android File Transfer for my Android phone to work with my Mac. Which no longer works under Mavericks, by the way. There is a workaround that actually gets it working, but if you unplug it you have to go through the whole procedure and reboot... which (along with other evidence) shows it's pretty definitely a Mavericks problem.

sorry for not being clear -

The BIOS on this board had issues and this caused most of the problems - yes, I change Thunderbolt to Legacy mode, disabled SATA Express, and disabled the Intel graphics & caused the system to panic.

I was 100% sure I saved the settings but - no - they didn't. So I did it again. But still had issues with the Kexts - but re patched everything on the system.

I keep saying that word "drivers" which isn't correct. The board is working now and all is well.

No, most of that is fine, Ragnar-Kon, you're not being too technical. I'm not a total newb at "CustoMacs", I am running one right now myself. So I know what a kext is, etc.

I was just wondering what PARTICULAR kexts, bios settings, etc. were being referred to.

I do understand about the rules and I am trying to avoid mentioning certain things too.

Darn. One of the things I was very sincerely hoping to accomplish was to get the machine working with the HD 4600 graphics, then upgrade later to something a bit more sophisticated.

If anybody manages to get the HD 4600 working with one of these boards, please let me know.

Someone can confirm that this motherboard GA-Z97-UD7 TH with discrete graphic card is fully compatible with Hackintosh using Clover ?

thank's a lot for all informations .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back