HD 4600
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Dear all,

what seemed to be a piece of cake from what I've read before buying my machine turned into a multi-hour headache…

My system:
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H
i3-4330
2 x 8 GB RAM
120 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
onboard graphics, ethernet, sound

I created a USB stick with Unibeast 5.0.1 and Mavericks 10.9.5 Install app. Loaded optimized BIOS defaults, turned off WOL, set SATA to AHCI (was already). It bootet fine, installed Mavericks.

The first reboot then failed, but with -x I could get it to boot and finish the installation. At that point, the system worked (probably besides audio, but didn't check) - Ethernet was fine, graphics fine.
Then I used Multibeast 6.5.0(1) and selected and installed the drivers recommended for the board (e.g. http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-advice/134534-works-ga-z97x-ud3h-intel-xeon-e3-1230v3.html).

Rebooted and the system never came up again, not even with -x.

I tried deleting the AppleHDA.kext from S/L/E as suggested in another post (), but that didn't help. The hang occurs now always after "[IOBluetoothHCIController][start] -- completed", but before I deleted the audio kext it got stuck at "Warning: IOPlatformPluginUtil : getCPUIdInfo: this is an unknown CPU model 0x3c -- power management my be incomplete or unsupported.

I'd greatly appreciate any help getting this to run!

You don't want to use the MacPro 6,1 definition that @Goban used. Best to
choose the MP 3,1 first to get everything working. Also check to see that
you have VT-d disabled in the bios.

Thanks trs96, that did the trick!

Now the system works quite well.

Just some oddities:
- sound is sometimes not working, but back after turning the machine off and rebooting
- Chimera boot screen sometimes shows 4 Logos and is cut off (might have to do with 1920x1080 profile option?), sometimes it's off-center and then the Apple logo on grey background too
- sometimes the screen just stays black when I turn on the machine and apparently nothing happens
- sometimes the display doesn't wake up from sleep. The machine seems to be running again, but no way to get the display to show anything (stays in sleep mode as if there was no signal)

I can now say that the real sleep mode (computer turns itself off) and wakeup is working fine.

The problem is with the display. When it goes to sleep, it doesn't wake up any more when i hit a key or move the mouse. The computer is still running, playing music. Only solution is to hit the reset button. :(

I can now say that the real sleep mode (computer turns itself off) and wakeup is working fine.

The problem is with the display. When it goes to sleep, it doesn't wake up any more when i hit a key or move the mouse. The computer is still running, playing music. Only solution is to hit the reset button. :(
That is a problem originating from 10.10.1 and not your setup. Many people with "real" Macs are
having the same problem right now as well. BTW glad to hear you got things going. :thumbup:

FROM an Apple Forum:
"After the monitor goes to sleep, when I hit any key the light on my Cinema Display lights up, but the screen will stay black.
I can see the display lights up a tiny bit, but no UI.
I know the computer works, if I hit some keys I get audible feedback, there is just no video output.
I am by no means the only one, this though is the first time I have this since the very first OS X 10.0b."

I'm on 10.9, not 10.10...

After more reading here on the forum, I've come to realize that everyone with a Z97X has the problem of audio/sound ceasing to work after the system had been in sleep mode. Is there a solutions for this problem yet?

After more reading here on the forum, I've come to realize that everyone with a Z97X has the problem of audio/sound ceasing to work after the system had been in sleep mode. Is there a solutions for this problem yet?

Yes, you'll need to get the latest version of Multibeast and run it choosing just a few
selections. Under the Drivers tab / Audio choose Realtek ALC 1150 and then Audio
ID 1. Reboot and see if that fixes it.

Sorry :( forgot that you're still on Mavericks. This only works for MB 7.1.1 / Yosemite.

I just tried your suggestion but now I have no audio at all. AppleHDA kext doesn't load, lots of error messages (I can post them if you're interested).
Or did you mean that sound fix also only works with Yosemite (like the black screen on wakeup)?

Now I can't get it back to work. I tried installing the old driver with MB 6.5, it gets loaded, options show in system preferences, but there's no sound.

UPDATE:
I reinstalled the full set of drivers from MB 6.5 now and it works again. Before I had just installed the audio driver.

Audio and IGFX have been problems with Z97 from day one. Until Apple releases a Mac that
uses that chipset it will continue to be hit or miss. On simple solution is to get and inexpensive
Syba USB audio card which needs no drivers. Check it out here:

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1418682659&sr=1-2&keywords=syba+usb+2.0+stereo+sound+adapter

For just 6-8 bucks you can get by with this until Apple supports H/Z97 CustoMacs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back