Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
My GA-Z87X-UD5H build crashes on most start ups. Maybe once every ten starts it actually gets to OS X. Most other times, I see the Apple logo, the go-round thingee starts to spin and then I get a panic.

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff80002dbe2e): Kernel trap at 0xffffff8000649e7e, type 13-general protection, registers:
CR0: 0x000000008001003b, CR2: 0x00007fba4b00d600,

Snip

Fault CR2: 0x00007fba4b00d600, Error code: 0x0000000000000000, Fault CPU: 0x0

From what I've read elsewhere on this forum, the most common cause of these panics is bad BIOS settings. There are no DSDT files for this board so I'll just ask: What are the likely causes of this type crash? Which settings should I start with?

All help will will be appreciated.

do you have any external usb hubs or card readers plugged in? The error does not state its that, but I had a similar issue that would happen every few boot ups and it was to do with an old usb card reader I had plugged in.

do you have any external usb hubs or card readers plugged in? The error does not state its that, but I had a similar issue that would happen every few boot ups and it was to do with an old usb card reader I had plugged in.
i have a USB card reader in one of the 5.25 bays and it's plugged into a MoBo USB 3 header. Always has been though, even when this build was not crashing on start.

The only other USB devices are a keyboard and mouse plugged into ports on the rear. Hold on...

Well, that's interesting. I unplugged the Apple mouse but left the kb attached (need it to select a drive and boot) and then it booted without a panic. Attached the Apple mouse after boot and all was fine.

Tried booting with a generic, wired, scroll-wheel mouse attached and that was fine too. That's the mouse I used during testing and setup on the bench. When I moved the machine from my test bench (okay, the kitchen counter), that's when it began crashing for no apparent reason. I was using a deferent mouse and keyboard.

There may be something weird about the Apple wired scroll-ball mouse. Two tries in a row, it booted fine without the Apple mouse. Wow.

Oops, four more test boots. Two resulted in panics, the next two just caused the displays to go black as if the machine were sleeping. Dang, I though the USB mouse was the culprit. Apparently not.

The screen going black is a new behavior. This is the second change in behavior with no BIOS settings changes. First it went from working (on the bench) to crashing, then to blacking out the displays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back