Contribute
Register

GA-Z77X-UP4-TH vs GA-Z77X-UP5-TH

Status
Not open for further replies.
You say that there are TWO more USB2.0 headers on the motherboard. But i see that there are THREE USB2.0 headers on the motherboard, close to each other; named F_USB1, F_USB2, F_USB3. (And there is a USB3.0 header).
Or am i mistaken? Which is very likely because i just jumped in this wagon...

Here is another thread about it

Sorry, that was my mistake - it's been a while since I opened my case to look at my motherboard. There are three USB 2.0 headers on the motherboard and one USB 3.0 header.

OK, my GA-Z77X-UP4-TH build is working. I can tell you all that ALL usb ports, (8x USB3 and 6x USB2), on the GA-Z77X-UP4-TH board are working 99% fine. the 1% is that my Lacie Rugged causes kernel panics at boot and freezes when attatched while running. All other drives work fine
Multibeast 5.3.1, OSX 10.8.4 3770K i7. 16GB RAM
I run a dual monitor setup using HDMI and DVI.

I see no downside of the UP4 at the moment.

What drivers did you install to get the USB 3.0 on the UP4-TH recognized in Mountain Lion? I've kept the OS up to date, but I've never gone back to check on the USB 3.0 ports since it wasn't compatible a year ago. Did you pick up drivers through Multibeast, or did the latest OS update allow you to use the 3.0 ports? This would be great news for the rest of us who purchased a UP4-TH a year ago!

I didn't do anything special.

Bios firmware F9
Multibeast 5.3.1; USB3.0 universal

OSX 10.8.4

I don't see why the UP4 is not in the list of recommended motherboards since everything works as expected on mine. The issues that i do have, i would have on the UP5 too. Like, no hot swap for thunderbolt. And, it's cheaper then the UP5 too. It has no WiFi card supplied though.

I don't see why the UP4 is not in the list of recommended motherboards since everything works as expected on mine. The issues that i do have, i would have on the UP5 too. Like, no hot swap for thunderbolt. And, it's cheaper then the UP5 too. It has no WiFi card supplied though.

Wi-fi card that comes with the UP5 doesn't work with OS X anyway - no great loss in not having it bundled with the UP4

-bth

What drivers did you install to get the USB 3.0 on the UP4-TH recognized in Mountain Lion? I've kept the OS up to date, but I've never gone back to check on the USB 3.0 ports since it wasn't compatible a year ago. Did you pick up drivers through Multibeast, or did the latest OS update allow you to use the 3.0 ports? This would be great news for the rest of us who purchased a UP4-TH a year ago!

I think it has something to do with the FakeSMC plugins. Since i installed that it killed my VIA usb ports.
See THIS post.
I hope someone comes up with a hint what to do.

I think it has something to do with the FakeSMC plugins. Since i installed that it killed my VIA usb ports.
See THIS post.
I hope someone comes up with a hint what to do.

It looks like you figured out how to fix your VIA USB chipset by modifying someone else's kext. I would ask you what steps you took, but I'm also wondering if the newest Multibeast includes the modded kext that you used? It would save me some time to use Multibeast rather than trying to figure out how to modify a kext, and how to apply my own kext (I'm more of a "newbie" - I just use provided packages).

Any insights? I'd really appreciate it.

It looks like you figured out how to fix your VIA USB chipset by modifying someone else's kext. I would ask you what steps you took, but I'm also wondering if the newest Multibeast includes the modded kext that you used? It would save me some time to use Multibeast rather than trying to figure out how to modify a kext, and how to apply my own kext (I'm more of a "newbie" - I just use provided packages).

Any insights? I'd really appreciate it.

The newest MB 5.4.3 does include the kext i used, it's called USB3 drivers, but for some reason MB gives me an installation error if i select that. I had problems with Chimera 2.2 too. (no boot) And also with MB5.4.3. (USB3 extensions failed to install)

I succeeded with the following sequence:

-I ran MB5.4.3 and selected all i needed for now; FakeSMC and FakeSMCplugins, Chimera 2.1.2 and MacPro3.1 def.
-Then i installed Chimera 2.2.
-Then i installed GenericUSBXHCI_1.2.4 using Kextwizard. Then i let Kextwizard repair permissions and rebuild cache.
-Reboot
-Had to go to the bios and reselect the right boot disk.

I didn't modified any kext.
Hope this helps.

Fokke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back