Contribute
Register

GA-Z77X-UD5H Yosemite Install - some issues (like no sound?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
RX 590
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey all.

I just typed this up and tried to post before logging in, so I lost it all. *sigh*

Long story short, I needed to format both my 64GB SSD boot drive, and my 2TB HDD scratch drive where I keep my home folder. I figured it was as good a time as any to upgrade to Yosemite, so I did a clean reinstall.

I followed the steps in this guide, and everything worked perfectly up until I started doing post-installation with Multibeast 7.0.1.

Here is what I told Multibeast to install, after reading around the forums for people with my same motherboard who had successfully gone to Yosemite:

Quick Start>DSDT Free
Drivers>Audio>Realtek ALCxxx>ALC898
Drivers>Disk>3rd Party SATA
Drivers>Disk>TRIM Enabler>10.10.0 TRIM Patch
Drivers>Misc>ElliotForceLegacyRTC
Drivers>Misc>EvOreboot
Drivers>Misc>FakeSMC v6.11.1328
Drivers>Misc>FakeSMC v6.11.1328 Plugins
Drivers>Misc>FakeSMC v6.11.1328 HWMonitor Application
I made it a point to skip the USB 3.0 - Universal driver, as I read multiple reports that it doesn't work and isn't necessary in my case.
Drivers>Network>Atheros>AtherosL1cEthernet 1.2.3
Drivers>Network>Intel>AppleIntelE1000e v3.0.4.1a
Bootloaders>Chimera v4.0.0
Customize>Boot Options>1080p Display Mode
Customize>Boot Options>Basic Boot Options
Customize>Boot Options>Generate CPU States
Customize>Boot Options>Hibernate Mode - Desktop
Customize>Boot Options>Kext Dev Mode
Customize>Boot Options>Use KernelCache
Customize>System Definitions>Mac Pro>Mac Pro 3,1
Customize>Themes>tonymacx86 Black

I'm well on my way to a stable system.

Here's what DOES work that I was worried about:
-USB 3.0. I'm currently copying all of my backed-up data back onto my internal 2TB drive (photos, videos, etc.) from my external USB 3.0 drive and seeing excellent data transfer speeds.
-Internet. The first time I restarted the machine after running Multibeast, my ethernet drivers were not working for some reason, but after running Multibeast again with the same settings and restarting, they work normally.

Here's what DOESN'T work that I've discovered so far:
-Sound. This is my biggest one. As of yet, I haven't tried installing any other audio drivers besides the one listed above. However, that is the one that my motherboard specs list on Gigabyte's website, and IIRC, the one I used successfully when I was running various versions of Mavericks. Speakers plugged into my rear jack aren't recognized at all; headphones plugged into my front jack enable the computer to give me volume levels on the monitor when I press the volume button, but I don't actually hear anything.
-Booting. Let me explain this with my extremely lacking knowledge of how this all works. My SSD is bootable. When I turn the machine on and press F12 to select which drive I want to boot from, I'm given a list of options: My SSD, my 2TB, a 320GB drive that I have Windows XP installed on, a flash drive if there is one plugged in, etc. Most of the options seem to have two variants, for example, "UEFI: [SSD_Name]," and "P1: [SSD_Name]." I don't really understand what UEFI is, or how it is different than P1, but I always used P1 to boot Mavericks. If I try to boot Yosemite from my SSD using UEFI, my motherboard just tells me it didn't work and I need to select a bootable drive and try again. If I select P1, it boots just fine. This wouldn't be a problem, except that when I go into my BIOS setup and try to set "P1: [SSD_Name]" as my default, 1st option boot drive... it isn't there. There's a similar but shorter list of drives I can use as my default, and while "UEFI: [SSD_Name]" shows up on that list, "P1: [SSD_Name]" doesn't. So I can't set the boot drive that actually works correctly as default, forever dooming me to hit F12 when I start up my machine. This was not the case in Mavericks; I had no problem setting "P1: [SSD_Name]" as my default boot drive there.

Hopefully that wasn't too long-winded and I didn't lose anyone, and hopefully it made sense.

I haven't yet tested to see if my graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2048 MB) is working or not, but I suspect it is. If I did what I thought I did, I didn't install any kexts that would allow my motherboard's onboard GPU to function, and something is functioning in the limited graphical stuff I've tried so far. So that seems good.

I also haven't even bothered trying to associate the computer with my iCloud account and test iMessage or FaceTime, as my understanding is the NVRAM workaround that was in place for Mavericks hasn't been released for Yosemite users yet. I'll wait on that, it's not urgent.

Anyone have any idea why my audio isn't working and/or how to fix it? Or how to "fix" UEFI or at least just get P1 to be my default boot option?

Thanks in advance!

Installed sounddriver from Multibeast Maverics - then it works.

I got the sound working - after reading around some more after my original post, I found that many people were having success with the same driver from Multibeast 6.0.1. Downloaded it from the archive and it worked without even needing a restart. Well, that's not entirely accurate. It works with the front port using headphones. I haven't gotten it to work with the rear port using speakers yet.

Shutdown seems to work normally. I'm testing sleep now. Looks like it works normally. In addition, I still have sound after waking up (many people who used Multibeast 6.0.1 to get sound reported losing it again after sleep).

Searching some more, I found this thread. It's a little dated as the OP was on Mountain Lion I believe? But I'm going to give it a shot and see if it works; as he is experiencing my exact same problem.

Edit: just tried this, and it worked. Note that I had already migrated my home folder (including library) away from my boot drive when I tried this.

I shut the computer down, unplugged all other drives besides my SSD, restarted, entered BIOS settings, and for some reason the option of booting in non UEFI mode on the SSD showed up in the list of possible defaults this time. I set it and saved my BIOS settings, restarted, and it booted but wouldn't log me in since the drive containing my library wasn't plugged in. I shut down, re-plugged all my drives, booted once more, went into BIOS settings and moved a few things around with default boot drive heirarchy (leaving P1: [SSD_Name] as default), and finished boot. It worked perfectly.

This means that so far everything is working other than iMessage and FaceTime. I have tested iCal, App Store, etc. and they are all working correctly.

I still need to test my graphics card to make sure it's functioning correctly, and hopefully I'll be able to deal with other problems as they surface. I'm also hoping for a workaround to the NVRAM problem for Yosemite soon so I can get iMessage and Facetime up and running.

Frankly, this Yosemite installation has been less problematic than any Mavericks installation I ever ran... knocking on wood for no major problems to surface!

Shout out to the awesome community here, and thanks all.

What i did to make sound work was, i used Multibeast-6.0.0 , without DSDT , ALC898.

Got the sound driver working. Honestly this has been one of the easiest installs I've ever done... Everything is stable now except iMessage/FaceTime which still aren't possible with Chimera on Yosemite.

Two questions though:

1. I am getting fairly regular crashes where everything inexplicably freezes up? Two times this has been triggered by me trying to print. Once it was when I opened Microsoft Word. I think there have been other times but those are the ones that I remember specifically. What is the best way for me to figure out what is causing this problem?

2. Where is the best place for me to get info on the development of the NVRAM workaround that will (hopefully eventually) allow me to use iMessage/FaceTime without switching to Clover?

I don't think that there has been updates on getting imessage to work.. One thing you can always do for sound.. Create a DSDT.aml and stash it somewhere. I copied and pasted my mountain lion one to my yosemite folder and got all sound including hdmi back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back