Contribute
Register

GA-Z77X-UD5H SATA Port/Controller Design Flaw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5
CPU
i7-6770k
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
First time builder here who's been using his Hack successfully for over a year and half now - great community and support here at TonyMac! My question arises after I had a chance to look at expanding my rig and adding a larger SSD.

I see this particular board seems to utilize the "better" Intel 7 Series controller for it's 3G SATA ports and the "lesser-quality" Marvell controller for the 6G SATA ports.

Am I correct that this seems backwards? Did they cramp the faster 6G SATAs with a slower controller?

I'd really like to put my SSD on the 6G SATAs for obvious reasons, but from all I read online the Marvel controller slows it down by almost half.

Any workaround here?

First time builder here who's been using his Hack successfully for over a year and half now - great community and support here at TonyMac! My question arises after I had a chance to look at expanding my rig and adding a larger SSD.

I see this particular board seems to utilize the "better" Intel 7 Series controller for it's 3G SATA ports and the "lesser-quality" Marvell controller for the 6G SATA ports.

Am I correct that this seems backwards? Did they cramp the faster 6G SATAs with a slower controller?

I'd really like to put my SSD on the 6G SATAs for obvious reasons, but from all I read online the Marvel controller slows it down by almost half.

Any workaround here?

The SATA III and the Marvel controllers are seperate. The slower marvel speeds don't affect the SATA III speed. It's still the full SATA III speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back