Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO
CPU
I7 6700K
Graphics
GTX Evga 750TI SC
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
I am having a problem since updating to maverick. If i plug a usb 3 device into a USB 3 port it will not recognise it. If i plug a USB 2 device into the USB 3 port it works. The USB 3 device works through a USB 2 port so I'm very confused. It worked fine on mountain lion.

I have installed the USB 3 kext via multibeast

Same problem here. I still can't figure it out, and it seems that no one else on this board is talking about it or has any issues with it. It is making me ready to switch back to windows :(

I have installed the USB 3 kext via multibeast

I suspect that may be your problem, the Intel Chipset controlled USB 3.0 ports and the ones controlled by the VIA chipset do not need any drivers. They are natively supported by the OS.

Try uninstalling the USB 3.0 kext you installed via Multibeast.

My USB 3.0 ports are working using no additional kext

How do you uninstall a kext?

I would also like to know this. I have deleted the extra folder and re-installed multi beast without the USB kext and still no luck

OMFG thank you! I had no idea the fix was so simple. I went into my System folder and simply deleted the GenericUSB kext, rebooted, and now my USB3 ports work with my USB3 thumb drive.

I was this close to formatting and installing Windows 8.1. That was my main problem. Now I just have a few more issues to fix and my system will be 100%.

Thanks again.

I suspect that may be your problem, the Intel Chipset controlled USB 3.0 ports and the ones controlled by the VIA chipset do not need any drivers. They are natively supported by the OS.

Try uninstalling the USB 3.0 kext you installed via Multibeast.

My USB 3.0 ports are working using no additional kext

OMFG thank you! I had no idea the fix was so simple. I went into my System folder and simply deleted the GenericUSB kext, rebooted, and now my USB3 ports work with my USB3 thumb drive.

I was this close to formatting and installing Windows 8.1. That was my main problem. Now I just have a few more issues to fix and my system will be 100%.

Thanks again.

How did you do this?

How did you do this?

Go to this file System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext and simply drag it into the trash or right click and delete then reboot.

edited to add
piam, the reason it did not work when you deleted the extra folder and reinstalled without the USB 3.0 driver is that Multibeast installs kexts into the default location for kexts System/Library/Extensions commonly known as S/L/E so when you rebooted again that kext was still there, so no change although you had made different choices in Multibeast. Delete the file, reboot and you should be good to go without any further changes.

Under your main HDD, where your OS is installed, look for the 'System>Library>Extensions" folder. Sort them by list so it's easier to look at. You will see a pile of kext files. I just scrolled down until I found the GenericUSB kext that I installed so many times, and I moved it to my desktop. (And deleted the original). I then rebooted and put a USB thumb drive in, and it mounted! I took it out, and tried again... success. I then deleted the kext from my desktop because it seemed safe to do so.

I deleted this and my computer would no longer turn on. Had to boot from unibeast in safe mode and restore the USB 3 kext from multi beast.

I did a fresh install of maverick and USB 3 devices still don't work.

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back