HD 4000
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
Success. GA Z77X-UD5H, i5-3570K: My installation log

Using tonymacx86 installation guide: www.tonymacx86.com/snow-leopard-desktop-guides/78960-install-mac-os-x-10-6-snow-leopard-ivy-bridge-based-pcs.html

Ivy Bridge Install

6:30PM, Monday, September 9, 2013.
Snow Leopard 10.6.3 was delivered by USPS a couple hours before.

Okay, I'm a software and hardware engineer. Big Blue was my first employer in Silicon Valley; I took a pass on HP; then worked at Intel. I've been awake for 36 hours. I'm too old for this, except I knew it would be great fun building a Mac. In one former life, I was a UNIX Admin, so that stuff in OS X doesn't scare me. I'm old enough to remember when "hacker" was a badge of honor. It was not derogatory. It was used to acknowledge the exceptional skill of certain people. Also, we used to hire anyone who could crack our systems.

It took me about 6 hours to install 10.6.3 Snow Leopard on an older Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H motherboard, an Ivy Bridge i5-3570K system, and to get an internet connection to the outside world -- I was desperate in more than one way, because there is sometimes great anxiety for some of us who are belatedly approaching MAC OS X hackentosh, but especially, my brains are out there in the ether, somewhere on the internet. If all this works out alright, I might try doing my ASRock Z87 Extreme6 with a Haswell i7-4770K. Both have AMD/ATI 5770 graphics cards.

The first and last time I touched an Apple system of any kind was around 1982-1985; except I was involved in putting the first hard drive on an Apple in '81. Personally I couldn't do anything with the Apple system, but my wife thought it was great and usable. At the time, I was wholly computer literate, including IBM compatibles. I had no idea what the Apple was able to do, but she moused and whizzed around quite naturally, and I tell you folks, she was not computer illiterate; indeed, she was quite technically competent. I dismissed the whole event as an anomaly, and have considered Apple as insignificant crap since that time.

I was in the midst of a 1GB+ update. Behind the scenes it went from version 10.6.3 to 10.6.8 with no help from me. Auto update.

Version 1.1.0 Ivy Bridge special boot loader was the magical ingredient in this gruel of complexities…hmm, made the mistake of mis-labeling 2 DVDs, this one and regular iBoot. What a pain-in-the-a that was. Be careful boys and girls.

At one point I overlooked plugging-in the power connector to my ATI 5770 graphics card. This was a fortuitous error…it didn't work at all during the installation of Snow Leopard, anyway. I instead used the motherboard DVI, albeit at 1024x768 resolution. Another great pain, but doable. I guess I'll need to get it running sometime, real soon now.

The installation of SL was a lot of trial and error, changing one little variable at a time, inching along. Rather than use my existing Blu-Ray drive, eventually I installed an older DVD drive that was laying around collecting dust, and that was the another magical moment. Things started working as they needed to--I could boot! then install! Perhaps I have a bad blu-ray drive, or maybe the loader didn't like it, but it did get a lot of errors trying to boot.

Instead of gutting everything, pulling everything out of the system like we are told to do, I worked backwards. Eventually, most everything was out or powered down, but it's not really required. But in a fit of frustrated desperation, I tried it. Didn't help. It was that damn Blu-Ray drive.

Along the way, I did have to eat my children. All my disks with pork-and-bean data from other systems had to be employed in the great Mac effort, my 32GB flash drive too. Three of the four systems I have scattered around me have no side panels on them. Couple of days I can put them back together.

Slept for a couple hours sometime Tuesday.

10:30AM, Wednesday September 11, 2013
I was downloading Mountain Lion 10.8.4, a 4.5GB file which should have taken me a little more than 4 hours with my 1.5Mb internet connection, 158KB download speed. Download complete at 4:30PM. Whew! Something very weird was happening during the download. Something in Snow Leopard was uploading constantly during the entire download.

04:30AM, Sept. 12, 2013
Mountain Lion seems much more complete and ready for prime time than SL, even if it did take me 10 hours to get it figured out. Of course I would think that way, since I have it running well, already. I still don't have 10.6.8 booting off hard disk, but 10.8.4 does.

And thank god! 1920x1024 screen resolution.

The difference for me between SL & ML seems to be the differences between MultiBeast - Snow Leopard 3.10.1, and the combination of UniBeast 2.0.2 and MultiBeast - Mountain Lion 5.4.3.

I did partition an external 600GB RAID-0 drive into 2 pieces before the installation of ML. Installed 10.8.4, and then had to go back and reformat the drive because I missed the part about the non-GUID, MBR partition. The first install took 30.5GB of disk space. The second attempt, even after updates, is only taking 7.22GB.

Changed UEFI BIOS disks to RAID so that my RAID-0 SSDs could be tested. Mountain Lion didn't complain about the RAID setting, but still could not see the Raid drive.

Compared to SL, Mountain Lion is sweet. Much easier to navigate and window manipulations are so much smarter. I was shocked at the difference and was hugely pleased.

Much praise goes to tonymac and macman, and others. They have done the heavy lifting for us, but the million web pages of questions and answers that so many people have contributed also help us noobes get comfortable in the spooky hackintosh realm. There are some great geeks out there doing some really good stuff.

Before it ran well, it didn't. While attempting to boot ML from hard disk, the system would just hang forever with the spinner just twirling (that's where SL still is). So, I booted with the -x switch, safe mode. ML did boot successfully then, and would boot effortlessly thereafter. And it's a surprisingly fast boot, also. Maybe a little faster than Windows 8. Nah, it is faster. 15 seconds for Win 8.

I am not dual booting; rather, I am using F12 to select from which disk to boot, Windows 7 or OS X. Of note, the UEFI in the Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H was my first system with that BIOS interface. I thought it was clunky and chunky last year. But my new Haswell Windows 8 ASRock Z87 Extreme6 has virtually the exact same one, and I love 'em now.

Thus far, the Mac can see my other systems on my network, but I can't see it.

Hmm, hmm, hmm. Maybe next week I will take on that Haswell, although with the imminent release of OS X Mavericks that might not be the smartest thing I could do. IDK.

And it's no great surprise, I still don't know what I'm doing.

[I'm using MS OneNote and accidently deleted this whole thing. Thankfully, after a couple days, I found it in OneNote's Recycle Bin, which I was unaware of. It was not in my regular, normal Recycle Bin. OneNote has earned its keep!]

Friday 8/13/13 6:30PM
Sharing disk drives between PCs on the network and the MAC, didn't think it was possible. You have to setup sharing on the MAC and PC.

My Z87 is connecting to the Internet through the MAC. I love it.

11:30PM
Changed UEFI back to AHCI in preparation for update to 10.8.5. Only then did I realize that I hadn't had access to the Snow Leopard disk. Now I do. CCC'd Mountain Lion.

Saturday 8/14/2013, 1:30AM
Updated to 10.8.5 thanks to Stork and custy1234.

any tips on updating to 10.8.5?

See my Post #2 in the OS X 10.8.5 Update Article.

I personally could not have even begun the OS X odyssey on my Ivy Bridge without your posts. All that remains is getting my off the internal Intel 4000 graphics and onto my AMD 7850; then I'll be ready to go over to my Haswell system and start all over again.

Grd, any luck with your ASrock?

Haven't tried Mac OS X. I put the ASRock Z87 Extreme6 in the wrong case, then struggled trying to put a Corsair H100i water cooler in. Did it, but with a lot of pain, although no mods. Runs on Windows 8.1 (purchased a $5 Start button), which was a no brainer. Didn't have to look for any drivers, they were already in Windows -- except for the water cooler.

My next step with MAC OS X remains to get the AMD/ATI 7850 running on the GA Z77X-UD5H, i5-3570K. It seems the H100i drained my enthusiasm, for the moment. I'm trying Gin to help me refuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back