Contribute
Register

GA-Z77N-WiFi, GeForce 660 Ti, need help with audio via DVI-D or HDMI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 680 (2GB)
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I've tried searching the forum and attempted to make sense of this. I'm sorry if it's a stupid question, but by answering you would save me hours.

I'm a total Mac and Hackintosh noob, but I'm really satisfied with my near-finished build. When I was using HDMI from the onboard graphics, audio and video have worked perfectly on both OSX and Windows 8 (separate SSDs). I've installed my GPU (GeForce 660 Ti) and while the audio works fine in Windows, it is not working on OSX. I've read a bit here and, am I to understand that you have to manually edit your DSDT in order to get HDMI audio via the GPU, and once you have, you can only control the volume through the device? Aren't many GPUs (including mine) compatible with OSX at this point? I've read about people updating their sorely out-of-date Mac Pros with new GPUs. Are they not able to use or control their audio?

My goals are to be able to use my DVD-I port from the GPU to monitor and HDMI from the GPU to my nearby television in OSX. Is this even possible? I attempted reading this thread http://www.tonymacx86.com/hdmi-audio/70765-mountain-lion-hdmi-audio.html but it is completely over my head. I'm hoping someone can tell me if my goal is possible and potentially (in dummy's terms) how to achieve it. Thanks

Here are my specs:
Hardware: GA-Z77N-WiFi mobo, Intel i7 3770 (not k or overclocked), GeForce 660 Ti
Software: OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.3, NVidia drivers

MultiBeast: Mac Pro Early 2008 definition, DSDT-GA-Z77N-WIFI-F2.aml
UserDSDT or DSDT-Free Installation
Drivers/Audio/Realtek ALC8xx/With DSDT/ALC892

Assuming you got the DSDT from this site, it includes the HDMI audio edits already, in fact thats all it does, as a DSDT is generally not needed for your board.

Have you actually selected the HDMI output in settings for audio?

Thanks for your quick response! Yes I downloaded the optional DSDT for my mobo "DSDT-GA-Z77N-WIFI-F2.aml" from this site.

In system preferences / sound I have four options:
Internal Speakers built-in
Line Out - Audio line-out port
Line Out - Audio line-out port
Digital Out - Optical digital-out port

None of these selections seems to enable audio. I've tried both DVI-D and HDMI outs from my GPU.

Yes I renamed it before I ran MultiBeast. I have run MB several times. Am I supposed to delete previous changes somehow before I run MB again? I noticed it doesn't seem to know what options were chosen previously.

Well, I realized that I was still running "GraphicsEnabler=No". I'm kinda surprised that my video was coming out of the card in spite of that. When I change it to "yes" I hit a blank white screen at boot. I've installed a lot of software but I'll start this whole process over with UniBeast if you think it's necessary.

Okay, so the optional DSDT I used was to enable audio via HDMI, but that's only enabled through motherboard ports? Yes the guide http://www.tonymacx86.com/hdmi-audio/84936-easy-guide-ml-hdmi-audio-hd4000-7-series-mb.html is what I was referencing in "I've read a bit here and, am I to understand that you have to manually edit your DSDT in order to get HDMI audio via the GPU, and once you have, you can only control the volume through the device?"

I tried to read through the "easy" guide, Toledo, but it's completely over my head. How do other Macs (MacBook and Mini at least) output audio through HDMI? To be honest, the idea of having no volume control is kinda disappointing, particularly since I want to record audio. I suppose I can use browser or program controls for most things, but it still kinda sucks. Is this really the only means to accomplish the task? I've watched so many videos by YouTube hackintosh experts who obviously use dedicated GPUs and never heard about this process. I did anticipate difficulties with this project, but man, this aspect of it seems more difficult than everything else combined.

Am I supposed to delete previous changes somehow before I run MB again?

Well, I realized that I was still running "GraphicsEnabler=No".

I was referencing in "I've read a bit here and, am I to understand that you have to manually edit your DSDT in order to get HDMI audio via the GPU,

and once you have, you can only control the volume through the device?"

I tried to read through the "easy" guide, Toledo, but it's completely over my head.

How do other Macs (MacBook and Mini at least) output audio through HDMI?
Suggestion, do much better research. Most of the statements in this post are not correct or not true.

Multibeast, yes. There is no way to automatically undo what a user selects in MultiBeast. It is wise to make a bootable clone of your system before any changes are made. Restoring the backup or a fresh install may be required.

"I was still running "GraphicsEnabler=No"", see Reminder: NVIDIA GeForce 6xx Kepler Cards work with GraphicsEnabler=No

"manually edit your DSDT", no. See Post #1, [Easy Guide] ML: HDMI Audio/HD4000/7 Series MB
Benefits
1. Automated HDMI audio dsdt editing
2. Installs HD4000 integrated graphics HDMI audio dsdt edits
3. Installs AMD/Nvidia discrete graphics card HDMI audio dsdt edits
4. No copy, no paste, no finding the right place to paste….

"you can only control the volume through the device" see apple mac digital audio volume control - Google Search

"completely over my head", did you try? Buy a Mac.

"How do other Macs (MacBook and Mini at least) output audio through HDMI?", you never checked. Do the research.

Summary, HDMI audio enabled with the tools on this site is native OS X HDMI audio.

"Buy a Mac"... ouch

Does this process still work for you?

"Where To Get IOReg - AppleID required
1. https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action
2, Enter AppleID and password
3. Enter/Search (left side of page) ioreg
4. Select Hardware IO Tools for Xcode"

I registered successfully and was logged in when I searched but found nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back