8. PowerBook
  9. Quadra
  10. SE
  11. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
GA-Z77-DS3H + Radeon HD 7950 boot issue

Hi All,

** Edit - This is a GA-Z77-DS3H + Radeon HD 7950 boot problem not a boot0 issue **

I'm having a real headache with a GA-Z77-DS3H (rev. 1.1), i5 set up. The set up boot from the USB (Unibeast) and I can load and configure the desktop but if I try to boot from the installation drive the process stops on a black screen full of gibberish text? See screen grab.

BIOS has been updated from F9 to the latest F11a

The build has previously worked running OS X and is currently running Windows 7.

Any help appreciated.

TheFrenchMan

Attachments

• GA-Z77-DS3H-Screen-Grab.jpg
    GA-Z77-DS3H-Screen-Grab.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 131
Hi yannmac,

Thanks for the link but it turns out that the issue is related to the BIOS set up and GPU.

The build has the following components:

Motherboard: GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K CPU
Memory: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance
GPU: Gigabyte ATI 7950 3Gb Radeon
Storage: Samsung 1Tb, 7200 HDD

The main monitor is connected to the DVI on the 7950 and a second monitor to the motherboards VGA.

I've moved the boot loader to the EFI partition and have the network and audio working and appeared to be getting close to a stable machine on 10.9.1 with the BIOS settings on auto for the motherboard GPU. But on upgrading to 10.9.2 the machine is having kernel panics on boot even in safe mode (-x).

I need to do a bit more reading but any tips for the hardware combination and BIOS settings would be appreciated.

Cheers,

theFrenchMan

Hi yannmac,

Thanks for the link but it turns out that the issue is related to the BIOS set up and GPU.

The build has the following components:

Motherboard: GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K CPU
Memory: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance
GPU: Gigabyte ATI 7950 3Gb Radeon
Storage: Samsung 1Tb, 7200 HDD

The main monitor is connected to the DVI on the 7950 and a second monitor to the motherboards VGA.

I've moved the boot loader to the EFI partition and have the network and audio working and appeared to be getting close to a stable machine on 10.9.1 with the BIOS settings on auto for the motherboard GPU. But on upgrading to 10.9.2 the machine is having kernel panics on boot even in safe mode (-x).

I need to do a bit more reading but any tips for the hardware combination and BIOS settings would be appreciated.

Cheers,

theFrenchMan

The port on the back is a D-sub, not vga 'per se'. I'm pretty sure Mavericks doesn't support vga. Suggest you plug both monitors into the dvi ports on the Radeon.

Hi ghorwith,

Good point and on my checklist.

Cheers,

theFrenchMan
If your second monitor has only a vga input, you can use a dvi -> vga adapter. I think you should be good with a simple passive adapter rather than an active adapter, as most cards like the Radeon should autosense the monitor and change the clock frequency for that port accordingly. (If this doesn't make sense, do a search on active versus passive dvi-d to vga adapters). Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back