CPU
Intel i5-3570K
Graphics
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 OC 4GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all, ever since the installation of Mavericks I have experienced random system freezes/hangs. The entire machine will just pause. Everything will freeze exactly where what I was doing. Display stays as well just stops responding. You can wait for 6+hours it will never come back.

It is not load related, sometimes happens when its sitting at the desktop listening to Pandora, other times while playing Civ 5. I thought it had to do with Flash and Chrome as it seems to like to lock up the most while doing something in Chrome. However I disabled the built in Flash player in Chrome and it still locks up. I can be running handbrake using 100% CPU for 12+ hours and no issue, other times I will run Civ5 for 6+ hours all settings on Max with no issues.

Other times it will lock up with Chrome closed. Sometimes it will lock up 5-6 times in the course of several hours other times it will be fine for a week.

10.8 was totally solid, never had a single issue for the entire year it was installed.

Any recommendations would be most welcome as I am ready to :banghead:.

Thanks for any help.

System Info.
GA-Z77-DS3H - i5-3570K
Corsair Vengeance 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler
Crucial 256GB SSD CT256M4SSD2
Dual WD 3TB internal drives setup in Apple SW Raid 1
EVGA - GeForce GTX 660 2GB GDDR5

Here are the last messages from the system.log before it locked up the last time. I was in Civ5 and Chrome was open but not being used. This error message I see a BUNCH in my system.log but doesn't always show up right before lockup.
Dec 20 12:26:46 --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Dec 20 12:26:46 Hackntosh.local Google Chrome Helper[577]: Process unable to create connection because the sandbox denied the right to lookup com.apple.coreservices.launchservicesd and so this process cannot talk to launchservicesd. : LSXPCClient.cp #426 ___ZN26LSClientToServerConnection21setupServerConnectionEiPK14__CFDictionary_block_invoke() q=com.apple.main-thread
Dec 20 12:26:46 Hackntosh.local Google Chrome Helper[577]: Process unable to create connection because the sandbox denied the right to lookup com.apple.coreservices.launchservicesd and so this process cannot talk to launchservicesd.
Dec 20 12:26:46 Hackntosh.local Google Chrome Helper[577]: CGSLookupServerRootPort: Failed to look up the port for "com.apple.windowserver.active" (1100)

This thread might need to be moved to Post Installation -> Long Term Support

Sometimes an upgrade is just not a good idea. A clean install on a fresh disk and then Migrate Utility to pull your data over may be worth a try ? This can happen even on kosher Apple hardware...

It was an upgrade but not really. It was a fresh OS install but did not over write the applications and users folder. So while the OS was new some garbage might have come along.

Which board do you have ? V1.0 or V1.1 ?

V1.0 firmware F8

I have two V1.0 builds and the only time I had freezes like you describe is when I was using the ALXEthernet v1.0.2 kext installed by Multibeast.
I changed it to AtherosL1cEthernet (1.2.3) (Google for a source) and it's been ok so far.
I used AtherosL1cEthernet (1.2.3) on my other build from the start and it's been fine.

Also, you might like to consider upgrading your BIOS - I'm using F11a on both of mine.

Good Luck

Thanks for the suggestions.

Updated the BIOS firmware to F11A and Atheros driver to 1.2.3

I have noticed that Turboboost is working correctly in the bios screen now and the machine overall seems to be running much faster.

Will report back if I have any system lockups over the next few days.

schwartzki:

Have you been running without lockups ever since the bios update and ethernet change?

I only recently upgraded to Mavericks and have been disappointed with random freezes ever since then. (Ran pre-mavericks without one freeze for more than a year)

I have the exact same setup as you and would love to hear how it's doing now, to see if I should attempt those fixes.

Thanks!
Scott

With the Freeze Fix and the ethernet changes it has NOT solved my random lock ups, still happen :( but sometimes it goes a week without lock up other times it will happen 5x a day. Very annoying. Open to suggestions...

10.8 it would run months without reboot or incident. Now it is unreliable and makes me want to pull my hair out. If there was an easy way to downgrade back to 10.8 I would do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back