Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. LC
  2. Performa
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks for all the incredible work you all are doing!

Here is my setup:
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 (BIOS flashed to f10, IDE changed to AHCI, Boot device priority set according to TonyMacx86 guidelines)
Intel i5 3570K
Gigabyte Radeon HD 6850
8 GB Patriot memory
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD

I built my first computer (and first hackintosh) yesterday and spent the entire day trying to install Lion on it. To make sure it wasn't a hardware problem, I ran Ubuntu off a disc without issue and also successfully installed and ran Windows 7, so I'm guessing my hardware is all ok.

I made a bootable USB stick using the UniBeast method, ran BridgeHelper on the USB stick, and then attempted to install Lion on my build with no success. Then, I tried using the iBoot method to install Snow Leopard off my retail disc with no success. During both installs, I used all the flags I could think of (PCIRootUID=1/0, GraphicsEnabler=Yes/No, -x, -v, etc.). Verbose boot went too fast for me to see the point where the boot failed. I even tried to boot to a bootable Snow Leopard partition I have on an external USB HDD, but I ended up getting a kernel panic. I also went out and purchased a new USB stick. This helped a little bit (no more "boot0:done/boot1:error" problems).

Here are the steps I went through to make the UniBeast stick:
1. I used these instructions (http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/10/ ... using.html) up through Step 2.
2. Ran BridgeHelper on the UniBeast stick.
3. Downloaded Mac OS X Combo Update 10.7.4 from Apple's website (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1524)
4. Ran Combo Update on UniBeast stick
5. Ran BridgeHelper on UniBeast stick
6. Booted from UniBeast stick using BIOS boot menu

When I ran a 10.7.4 Lion install using this BridgeHelper'd UniBeast USB stick, the gray Apple screen pops up, the spinny progress wheel spins and spins, but nothing else happens. When I boot into verbose mode, I get a repeating "Still waiting for root device" error. I've attached a pic of what I see when I boot into verbose mode. Can any of you help me out?

Attachments

• IMG_1892.JPG
    IMG_1892.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 241
I'm unsure. When I got the dreaded "Still waiting to boot from root device" when trying to load the installer with Unibeast, I used "PCIRootUID=0" to remedy it. Have you tried that with the new USB stick? Otherwise, I'm afraid I don't know.

I'm still a bit unclear whether PCIRootUID=0 was related to my graphics card, or the USB stick itself.

kallinan said:
I'm unsure. When I got the dreaded "Still waiting to boot from root device" when trying to load the installer with Unibeast, I used "PCIRootUID=0" to remedy it. Have you tried that with the new USB stick? Otherwise, I'm afraid I don't know.

I'm still a bit unclear whether PCIRootUID=0 was related to my graphics card, or the USB stick itself.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, when I boot using the PCIRootUID=0 flag, it still hangs up, but it doesn't give the "Still waiting for root device" error. Instead, it just stops the boot process and then gives a cursor (perhaps to input commands?).

I had exactly the same problem but with another MB. All boot options failed to fix the issue.

What fixed it for me in the end was removing all partitions on the HDD and re-creating a blank single partition as per the install guides. After that I still had to do the normal PCIRootUID=0 as well as ensuring the HDD was in a 3Gbs port instead of 6Gbs SATA.

Since doing that I've not had an issue (except normal sound & graphics [HD4000]) - gonna get a graphics card rather than wait for ML though.

Hmm... How could I format the HDD? Could I do in in the BIOS? I haven't been able to reach the Mac OS X installer in order to access Disk Utility. Is there another way to format it? Also, what might putting it in a 6 Gbps port do? I bought a 6 Gbps HDD, so I'd love to be able to use the faster speed if at all possible.

Here's a thread where I'm asking about the same problem.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59052&start=270

The system runs like a dream in Windows, so I'm guessing my hardware's ok.

Can you guys help me out? I feel like at this point I'm trying voodoo and superstitious rituals to get this build to work!

Here is an incomplete list of suggestions I've gotten that haven't worked:

- Go back a version of UniBeast and BridgeHelper (Tried running install with UB 1.3 and BH 4)
- PCIRootUID=0/1
- Reformat USB stick and re-do UniBeast installation process (I'm using a SanDisk USB stick; do certain brands work better than others?)
- -x/-f flags, Single user mode
- Offer a sacrifice of a fattened calf
- Reformat HDD
- Unplug other SATA devices/Plug HDD into SATA 3Gbps port (It's currently plugged into a 6GBps port)
- Plug UniBeast stick into USB port that's directly connected to motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back