Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I started buying the parts to make my hackintosh, and got great deal on a GA-Z68XP-UD3 from Newegg. Looking at the manuals online for it, there is one for the Intel Smart Response Technology (ISRT). According to this document, you should install the operating system on a mechanical SATA HDD, and use a SSD as a cache to the SATA drive. Anything more than 64 GB is not used for the cache on the SSD, although it can be used for data storage.

In a PC I built, and what it seems others in these forums have done, is use the SSD to install the operating system to, and all installed programs. Data, etc is put on the mechanical SATA drives.

Does anyone use ISRT with their GA-Z68XP-UD3? Do you have an SSD and use it for cache, not op sys load?

Any other insights to share?

After some more research, I have come to the following conclusions, and would appreciate confirmation, or not.

(1) ISRT won't work on the mac side
(2) ISRT isn't really a great idea, as using the SSD as cache with repetitive reads and writes may shorten its life
(3) The best use of the SSD is for installing operating system and programs, with all data on the mechanical drives

gredhead said:
After some more research, I have come to the following conclusions, and would appreciate confirmation, or not.

(1) ISRT won't work on the mac side
(2) ISRT isn't really a great idea, as using the SSD as cache with repetitive reads and writes may shorten its life
(3) The best use of the SSD is for installing operating system and programs, with all data on the mechanical drives

Bingo...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back