Contribute
Register

GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 10.6.8 From Scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.
acentoni said:
10.6.8 from Scratch with Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 (F6)

Credits for this guide go to LicoriceWarrior, omn1d3cay, Teapea and Acik85. They are saints.

I took most of this guide from LicoriceWarrior at this LINK:
viewtopic.php?f=81&t=23704

I am completely new to computer building. I got my hardware recommendations from Koo at http://nofilmschool.com
I chose the HacPro road.

Build:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4 GHz 8MB Cache 1155 Socket
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3
Graphics Card: Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD6870 1GB DDR5
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blu 1600Mhz DDR3 (16GB) (Only 4GB for installation though)
Case: Antec high End Performance Case P183 V3
Power Supply: Antec CP-850
Optical Drive: LG Electronics 10X Blu-ray SATA Writer
Hard Drive: Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200RPM Cache 3.5”
Installation DVD: Mac OS X Snow Leopard
DVI-D connection to NEC P221W 22” monitor

You are going to need: Chimera, iBoot, Multibeast and Update Helper. Download all this stuff from here: viewforum.php?f=125
Put it on a Flash Drive.
You will also need access to a CD Burner, a blank CD-R and the Mac OS X Snow Leopard Retail DVD and the 10.6.8 Combo Update available here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399
Also, make sure you have no more than 4GB of RAM installed and only one Hard Drive that will be your system drive installed. You can add more after everything is working.

1. Update your motherboard to F6. Mine came as F3. You can check what yours is by holding down the Delete key upon startup and then, when you see the funky blue BIOS intro screen, press the Tab key. It will show the stats very quickly a couple lines down from the top on the left. It’s very fast, so you may want to take a picture (that’s what I did). It looks like this: GA-Z68X-UD5-B3-F3. I tried installation with both F6 and F7 and I never got kernel panics with F6. I got them every single time with F7. Here is the link for the F6 update: http://driverscollection.com/_431823960 ... -v.F6-free
To install, you may have to find a Windows PC and unzip the .exe file on it and then dump it onto your USB flash Drive.
How to update to F6: Plug in the USB drive that now has the F6 file on it (it looks like this: Z68XUD5.F6). When you boot up your computer and see that funky blue BIOS intro screen, start pressing the Delete key over and over like a madman until another blue screen with a menu shows up. Then, press F8 to get to Q-Flash, which allows you update. Choose “Update BIOS from Drive”, then “HDD 1-0”, then choose the Z68XUD5.F6 file you put on the USB drive. Follow the prompts to completion. Good to go.

2. BIOS settings. After you reboot from updating to F6, go back into the BIOS menu by pressing the Delete key a ton when you see the Gigabyte logo screen. First, go “Load Optimized Defaults”. Then, in “Advanced BIOS Features” switch the First and Second Boot Devices (CD-ROM should be first, Hard Drive should be second). Then press ESC to get back and go into “Integrated Peripherals”. Switch the second option down from “IDE” to “AHCI”. After that has been entered, press ESC to get back and go into “Power Management”. Change “HPET Mode” from 32-Bit to 64 Bit. After all this has been entered, press F10 to save and reboot.

3. iBoot. Now follow steps 1-18 here: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ ... -x-on.html Congratulations (kind of), Snow Leopard should be running on 10.6.0 or 10.6.3, depending on your copy. PS, if you ever can’t get back in to your Snow Leopard desktop, try taking out your USB drive before booting up. Sometimes the system will try to boot from there.

4. Update Helper, Multibeast and Combo Update. Once you are installed and ready to update, run Multibeast and select Easybeast and System Utilities. Then Reboot. The iBoot disc should still be in your drive.

5. Select your Snow Leopard drive to boot from and once you are in, you need to do couple things. Go to the Finder and locate /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext. Then right-click on IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext and click “Show Package Contents”. Go into “Plugins” and delete ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext (Deleting this will help you to not get a kernel panic and when rebooting after the update). Then, go to the Terminal application and type: sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
Then run Multibeast yet again and Select System Utilities to rebuild what you deleted. Once that is done, run Update Helper. Then reboot. The iBoot disc should still be in your drive.

6. Now once you get back to your desktop, open Multibeast and leave it open in the background while you run the 10.6.9 Combo Update. DO NOT RESTART when it finishes. Before restarting you need to run Multibeast again and select Easybeast. After that, install Chimera. After that, eject the iBoot disc. Then reboot.

7. Once you get back to your desktop, run Multibeast again and select: System Utilities. Also drop down in Drivers & Bootloaders to Kexts & Enablers, then Network and then check the box for Realtek Gigabit Ethernet. Then drop down in Customizations to System Definitions and then iMac and then check the box for iMac 12,2. After all that has been run, reboot. (NOTE: if you can’t get back to your desktop for Step 7 here, go back into BIOS and change the Boot Priorities back to the way the were earlier, ie. First should be changed to Hard Drive and second should be CD-ROM).

8. Once you get back to your Desktop, run Multibeast again and drop down into Drivers and Bootloaders into Kexts and Enablers and then Audio and then check all the ALC8xxx boxes. Even get the one that is in the Legacy older ones that is ALC889. What the hell, throw in the Apple HDA Rollback one too. This stuff enables audio. Reboot.

9. If you think that silly Gigabyte logo looks dumb, you can go back into the BIOS menu and go to “Advanced BIOS Features” and disable “Full Screen Logo Show” near the bottom. Press F10 to save and reboot. Guess what. You are done. Isn’t it all so pretty? This took me about seven installs to get it exactly right. Now I am on to tackle Lion. Party.

Another credit: http://nofilmschool.com/build-a-hackint ... -x-part-2/

I cant sign in to App store for some reason... it says your device cant be recognised call technical support for assistance....anyone ever dealt with his????

I am running the GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3, V1.0,

Everytime i boot it states that i cannot install osx on this computer. I wonder if flashing the bios for this board would help. If anybody has any experience with this board please let me know. It was one of Tony's recommended boards in his builds so somebody must be using it.

Cheers,
Rob

Just thought I'd add, you don't HAVE to have windows to extract the BIOS updates. There is a program called "Entropy" that works very well with all kinds of extractable files. I just downloaded the exe, and opened it in entropy and then copied the two files to a FAT USB drive and installed it from there. Very nice system! Mine is not quite as extreme, but it will be nice when i get my graphics cards! I'll just have to deal with the onboard until then.

acentoni said:
Dudes, I ended up setting mine as a Mac Pro. You can change that once you are up and running fine without problems. I seriously didn't have any problems with my graphics card. It all just recognized everything okay when I did what is in this write-up. Also for audio problems, all I did was run multibeast again after everything was up and running and select all the Audio stuff that's in step 8. Then you have to reboot. Hope this helps. Oh, and I got Lion to work easy. I just followed the tonymac instructions and it worked perfectly. I just had to re-enable some audio/Ethernet stuff through multibeast afterward. Good luck!

Bro! you got Lion to work that is great. I am having a issue connecting to app store which in turn is preventing me from installing LION because i cant download the file in first place. You have any clue what might have might have gone wrong???

Bro! you got Lion to work that is great. I am having a issue connecting to app store which in turn is preventing me from installing LION because i cant download the file in first place. You have any clue what might have might have gone wrong???

I know exactly what you mean! Mine was doing the same thing until i did a time machine restore and used the account from my Macbook. As for the system profile, in SL it will want to make your computer an iMac 12,1 or 12,2 but in Lion it makes it a MacPro 3,1. IDK why it does it that way, but I haven't messed with it. It's odd that it thinks I have an 08 MacPro but oh well.

thankx man , i finally installed mac os after 20 tries :). Still problem with audio, and the graphic card is seen as N140, but at least it's running :). 10x again

I installed everything successfully! Thank you so much! I'm using a GA-Z68XP-U5 F5 (after bios update)

I also want to use MultiBeast to install the motherboard's DSDT. But I'm terrified I would get an error after rebooting it! I'm not mentally prepared to reinstall everything. Anyone have tried this?

Hey everyone,

Yeah, I am still having issues with App Store and FaceTime as well. iCloud also does not want to be my friend. I have scoured the boards and followed every single solution I could find, but nothing seems to work. If anyone here has any solutions that may be newer, I would love to hear them. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back