I-7 6700K
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Up and running perfectly. Specs in sig.

Used the walkthrough and DSDT for the board.

Did NOT CHOOSE a "System Definition" in Multibeast.

System shows as Mac Pro "Early 2008" in "About This Mac" - and - MacPro3,1 in System Report.

Do I NEED TO CHOOSE a System Definition in Multibeast or does the DSDT take care of this?

Am I using the full capabilities of this setup without choosing a system definition?

Rick

MultiBeast chooses MacPro3.1 by default when you run either EasyBeast or UserDSDT unless you choose a different one.

If everything is working, I suggest leaving it alone unless there is some specific reason to change it.

The question was really aimed towards:

does changing the Model Identifier enable/disable any additional features in OSX?

For example: Photo Booth works, and Dashboard does the "pebble in the pond" splash when adding widgets - yet my video specs in System Report do not show QE/CI being enabled (actually, there is no reference to QE/CI in the Graphics/Displays portion):

AMD Radeon HD 6870:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6870
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6738
Revision ID: 0x0000
Displays:
2770Vh1:
Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
SyncMaster:
Resolution: 2560 x 1600
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Display Serial Number: HVUSB00262
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported

So, I'm just wondering if I will get better OS support for my hardware config, if my Model Identifier is closer to what I actually have, hardware-wise - as I know for certain my system is "hotter" than a "Mac Pro Early 2008".

Thanks,

Rick

If you change your system definition to, say, MacBook Pro for whatever is the latest version, OS X will load the graphics drivers for a Mac Book Pro, which might not be what you want it to do and the xxxxm (m for mobile) causes boot to kp on you. (Extreme case as a for instance, and not all that likely, but possible)

Mac3,1 seems to be the easiest for PC's to use to run OS X, so it is the default in the smbios.plist that MultiBeast installs. If you knew your hardware was a closer match to a mid 2011 iMac than to a Mac3,1 then you could select that and maybe get better results. Flip a coin and try. Some posters try every definition just to see if they can get better geekbench results and go with whichever one gets them the best.

Lion removed the QE/CI from the System info for some reason - it is not listed because it was left out of the list deliberately, not because you don't have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back